+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: calling it early.....relegation is an absolute certainty

I am as disappointed as the next man when we lose but make no mistake, we are a good side and is one of the better teams I have supported wearing our colours.
    To dismiss them in the way you have is out of order. I think people easily forget what we have achieved at NYS and are rather spoiled somewhat.
    Our injury hit team tries their hearts out every game.
    When I first started watching the Millers we were an established level 2 team, with the likes of John Galley, Frank Casper, Barry Lyons. Teams like Norwich City, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace and the like were the routine visitors to Millmoor. However, the seventies, 80s and 90s were spent (with a couple of key exceptions) rattling around the lower reaches of Divisions 3 and 4.

There were some appalling games and quite often we were scrambling to keep away from the relegation places. However during the period mid seventies to mid eighties is the period when I spent a lot of my time travelling up and down the country. We won some we lost more but it is my team. We all wish we could win every game, but if that’s what you want go and watch Liverpool or Man City. I hate losing and moan and groan for an hour or two after the game but then I remember who we are and how proud I am to follow this team.
    What we have achieved from practically not having a club to Mr Stewart building us a fantastic new stadium and some magnificent afternoons and nights since 2012.

The big problem now is money. We regularly play teams with budgets light years better than ours. What we have achieved is absolutely remarkable and we will get better.
    Look at some other teams and ask yourself would you really like to swap places with them? Ask the same of them and they would snatch your hands off.

Chesterfield. Regular opponents of our in the not too distant past now in the lower echelons of the National Leagues.
    York City - even lower in Nat 1 North
    Grimsby Town. Low down in Division 4. A club traditionally of similar size to us, who even spent 6 years in the Conference.
    Notts County - a first division club in the mid nineties, now in their 2nd season in the conference.

Fans of the above clubs (and many more I could name) have a right to complain, but we are the envy of many. We are playing on a level footing against teams that have won the Premier League in the past. The problem is that fickle fans soon forget the good times. They live in the moment (which most people are doing at this time) and forget what has gone on before.

Ok we were well beaten tonight but we are still in the second tier of the most envied league in the world.

They are OUR club so let’s get behind them and I firmly believe that we will stay up. Either way we have a great owner and structure and the future is bright.

With all that’s going on in the world it is not that important, but it is a passion, even religion for many but it’s power in terms of wellbeing cannot be under estimated.

I know it’s all about opinions but we are in a democracy. It is frustrating to lose but ambition has to be tempered with realism.

We are still a Championship team and I believe we still will be next season. Just hope that everyone stays safe now and we can look forward to the days when fans can get back in to the ground in a safe way and be the 12th man of this great club of ours.

Up the Millers.

That's a great post Nardendee but unfortunately wasted on the originator of this thread as no doubt he will come back with another of his puerile wind ups.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    That's a great post Nardendee but unfortunately wasted on the originator of this thread as no doubt he will come back with another of his puerile wind ups.
    How is your ankle Joe?

We are decent off the ball by pressing very well it's when we have the ball we are extremely poor, we can't keep it for more than 5 seconds without smashing it up the field to nobody, never gonna create chances like that without getting lucky which is the reason I think we'll go down again under PW.

Quote Originally Posted by Nardendee View Post
    I am as disappointed as the next man when we lose but make no mistake, we are a good side and is one of the better teams I have supported wearing our colours.
    To dismiss them in the way you have is out of order. I think people easily forget what we have achieved at NYS and are rather spoiled somewhat.
    When I first started watching the Millers we were an established level 2 team, with the likes of John Galley, Frank Casper, Barry Lyons. Teams like Norwich City, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Crystal Palace and the like were the routine visitors to Millmoor. However, the seventies, 80s and 90s were spent (with a couple of key exceptions) rattling around the lower reaches of Divisions 3 and 4.

There were some appalling games and quite often we were scrambling to keep away from the relegation places. However during the period mid seventies to mid eighties is the period when I spent a lot of my time travelling up and down the country. We won some we lost more but it is my team. We all wish we could win every game, but if that’s what you want go and watch Liverpool or Man City. I hate losing and moan and groan for an hour or two after the game but then I remember who we are and how proud I am to follow this team.
    What we have achieved from practically not having a club to Mr Stewart building us a fantastic new stadium and some magnificent afternoons and nights since 2012.

The big problem now is money. We regularly play teams with budgets light years better than ours. What we have achieved is absolutely remarkable and we will get better.
    Look at some other teams and ask yourself would you really like to swap places with them? Ask the same of them and they would snatch your hands off.

Chesterfield. Regular opponents of our in the not too distant past now in the lower echelons of the National Leagues.
    Grimsby Town. Low down in Division 4. A club traditionally of similar size to us, who even spent 6 years in the Conference.
    Notts County - a first division club in the mid nineties, now in their 2nd season in the conference.

Fans of the above clubs (and many more I could name) have a right to complain, but we are the envy of many. We are playing on a level footing against teams that have won the Premier League in the past. The problem is that fickle fans soon forget the good times. They live in the moment (which most people are doing at this time) and forget what has gone on before.

Ok we were well beaten tonight but we are still in the second tier of the most envied league in the world.

They are OUR club so let’s get behind them and I firmly believe that we will stay up. Either way we have a great owner and structure and the future is bright.

With all that’s going on in the world it is not that important, but it is a passion, even religion for many but it’s power in terms of wellbeing cannot be under estimated.

I know it’s all about opinions but we are in a democracy. It is frustrating to lose but ambition has to be tempered with realism.

We are still a Championship team and I believe we still will be next season. Just hope that everyone stays safe now and we can look forward to the days when fans can get back in to the ground in a safe way and be the 12th man of this great club of ours.

Up the Millers.
    Great post Nard. Think most fans see it this way

Up the Millers.
    Wouldn’t worry about this thread it’s what he does every season
    Last edited by millertop; 02-12-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Up the Millers.
    Uplifting post on a day when it's hard to feel positive about our prospects.

Thank you, Nardendee.

Yep good post which tells us the reality of the situation. We certainly are triers I dont think anybody can deny that but we just lack that bit of quality in key areas. It is so frustrating because we are gnats off staying in this league.

I like 3 5 2 qnd think we should stick with it by the way. However we will need some players in Jan to reinforce that formation notably a left wing back. I think we have the right wing back in Harding. We may also need another centre back if we are gonna play with 3 Im not confident Robertson or Tilt will have the lasting staying power and you can only flog Woody so much bless him.

We will make £4.7 mil from solidarity payments being in the champ this year. League 1 is 700k. Thats basic, overall I think we make 5 times as much in the champ compared (minus usual gate receipts and matchday revenues). If we have can just survive in this league this season, together with this season, that's at least £8 mil more into the club. It would give us the chance to improve incrementally, shave the squad with who works for what we require and bring in a few to take us a bit further and so on and so on. Agreed we wont suddenly shoot up the league but it's about finding a footing and building. We would be more likely to attract players if we can show that we arent just going to yo-yo. Yes we will still miss out on those who we always will to bigger clubs. To struggle and scrap doesnt mean we arent achieving. To play these teams, these players and these budgets and to survive hopefully would be an achievement.

We lack the guile, intellect and cutting edge to be successful in the championship. What we lack in quality we sometimes make up for by being able to outmuscle
    and sometimes outlast other teams but last night we appeared weak and off the pace.
    We played far too many blind passes and clearances that went to no man's land or a brentford player.
    We missed far too many opportunities to put pressure on our opponents by putting the ball into the box but chose to go backwards.
    One thing we lacked last night that we usually have in abundance is desire.
    One or two players in my opinion didn't show up and didn't seem interested.
    Something didn't seem right and I'm not really sure what it is but mark my words if there isn't a substantial improvement we will be going back to where we came from

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast