+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Belief (or lack of)

Mentality. That's part of the problem. The mentality of the management. There is a negativity that then transfers to the players and their belief that they can, or can't, compete in the Champ. We could see it even before the start of the season when Barker mentions game management will be different to league 1. And it is. That frustrating thing we did last time of knock the ball into the corner after only 70 mins to protect the pint we have and then and up loosing in injury time. It cost us last time and still we do it. The negative formation and tactics is the mentality of the management.
    Our players are better than this, but I don't think the management think they are. They are not adventurous enough to have a go, we daren't even try playing with 2 strikers.

I like Warne. I do think he is an asset. I'd rather keep Warne and get an assistant that introduces positive tactics and installs a positive mentality that we can compete this season.
    Arguably Coventry and Wycome's position says its not just us. But Luton and Barnsley suggest teams like us can compete.
    But we will never have a better opportunity to compete with bigger clubs given that away games without 25000 fans there should be an advantage to us. But we are aren't taking it. We tend to play the history and status of a club. We are scared of playing Notts Forest. But their team isn't miles better because they play for Notts Forest. They are the same as us because they have a similar number of points.
    I'd like to see a positive change in mentality of formation and tactics. Then that will transfer into more belief from the players.

Some interesting points here on the non-physical/skill aspects of our game but all the belief in the world will not make Joe Mattock's legs run any faster.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Some interesting points here on the non-physical/skill aspects of our game but all the belief in the world will not make Joe Mattock's legs run any faster.
    That’s down to management not believing that there’s another player capable of doing that job better than Mattock

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    That’s down to management not believing that there’s another player capable of doing that job better than Mattock
    Mattock will get more of a rest if the ball is down the other end of the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Mattock will get more of a rest if the ball is down the other end of the pitch
    If the amount of rest you get is linked to your capability to run fast then I think Usain Bolt's 100m World Record should be well within my grasp

But there is....Forrest Gump...boy can that lad run.

We had a left back called Lol Morgan, he ran really fast, & that was backwards.

Yeah exactly that. Given that we knew the LB would be up against pace and power, selecting mattock, especially after injury, seems a very poor decision

I would like to know why we have so many players who look good from the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    I would like to know why we have so many players who look good from the bench.
    Performance Enhancing Splinters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast