+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deid - Argentinian Football Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdrier View Post
    Scored his first international goal against Scotland at Hampden.
    RIP - fantastic talent.
    I was there.
    Best ever.
    RIP Min, thanks for the memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVho3I0NtU
    Some folks class this as goal of the century, and what a goal it is too, certainly gives Archie Gemmill's one v Holland 1978 a run for it's money for that accolade

Seriously though, what a talent, perhaps a controversial character with his away from football issues, but on the park and throughout his complete playing career a fkn genius and arguably the best player ever.

RIP min and thanks for the memories.

When I first took an interest in the World Cup in 66, Pele, about whose outrageous ability in 58 and 62 I had read, was kicked off the park and Brazil from the tournament. By 1970, he was still one of the best.

Maradona’s fleeting performances on the few clips we saw on cooncil TV looked the part, and his genius was obvious in 86 and 90. Not quite Jinky Smith, but deserving of a place alongside him.

I boycott all Fitba And Test Cricket Ruining Capitalist Filth Non-Cooncil Channels Of Chicanery And Utter Cuuntery, but saw enough of Zidane to conclude that his abilities were as admirable as Maradona’s.

The one good thing about being auld is that I’ve been alive in their time, and that of all the best musicians.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 26-11-2020 at 09:56 AM. Reason: As influential as Hendrix

"was kicked off the park and Brazil from the tournament. By 1970, he was still one of the best."

Being so much younger than you, I have scant memories of the 1966 tournament (god was merciful)

However the Brazil 1970 team was possibly the best ever.

Anyway, to get to the point.

Great players are great players, but it's best to remember just what they were up against.

The days of Italian catenaccio defences and real hatchet men may have left the likes of Mesi and Ronaldo with less of a reputation.
    Then again, maybe not, talent shines through.
    Although we may have seen a bit less of Ronaldo adjusting his hairdo if the likes of Claudio Gentile was marking him.

Maradona cemented his place in the football hall of fame during his time with Napoli.

Kicked all over the place, filled with whatever drugs kept him going, he was magnificent.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 26-11-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Maradonna > Zidane > Jess

I’ve left out Miller, as gods are above these petty squabbles

I'm too young to really appreciate Maradona so for me it has to be Zidane. As entertaining as you could get. Fat Ronaldo was one of the most exciting players around too. The Jonah Lomu of football.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    I was there.
    Best ever.
    RIP Min, thanks for the memories.
    I was also there and even for a friendly it was a great watch. Scotland were actually quite good (not sure why i remember Iain Munro having a particularly good game?). But Argentina, and Maradona in particular, were a joy to watch. Strange but it was almost like it was staged as there was rumor of this 'wonderkid' and it was like a globetrotters set up.

I think it was just being in the presence of genius that made it seem fake.

I wasn't there but remember the "wonderkid" build up.

Now he's deid, bloody hell I'm getting old.

Scotland aside, the 78 World Cup was fantastic (Arie Haan's goals!!) and so I got the Argentina kit a la Kempes. Maradona was already receiving a lot of attention, almost making the World Cup winning squad at 17, and it's unbelievable that the cooncil tv providers didn't see fit to broadcast or record the Hampden game. For that reason I mind being at Codonas that sunny afternoon instead.

The English are being reasonable about it, only mentioning the handball every 3 seconds.

“Where was VAR when we needed it most?” screams The Star.

They’re right of course, what a difference it would have made in 1966

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast