+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diego Maradona has died.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I can't agree with you there Stripes, although your right of course about the present day where cheats prosper a lot more now.
    But as bad as it was when the ref & officials missed it in the WC match, it doesn't take the guilt away from him in the first place for doing such a cheating cowardly thing.
    I think a deliberate handball is a handball. I’m
    In no way defending him but there’s a very long list of high profile players who have deliberately got away with cheating and it often gets forgotten.

Henry did something for France similar which cost Ireland a place in the finals but it barely got mentioned. Cheating is cheating. The issue here was that he got away with it in a very high profile match and then never admitted to it.

I just think all players who have done this type of thing should be treated the same and this was no exception but it’s all about opinions I guess

He was born into an environment where if you didn't cheat or steal you didn't eat. That simple. A hard conditioning to shake off.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    He was born into an environment where if you didn't cheat or steal you didn't eat. That simple. A hard conditioning to shake off.
    He had 60 years to “shake it off” Woodlands.

Vile little s c o t e.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    At the risk of disagreeing with many comments on here, he didn't have a monopoly on cheating. There's some awful gamesmanship and cheating going on every week in the Premier League. People seem to forget that. The real fault with that goal in Mexico laid with the ref and linesmen who were way to inexperienced for such a match and the awful decision not to rule a foul. One of you will remind me who it was but didn't I remember one of our players who was on the floor handling the ball in to the net v Villa a couple of seasons ago?

I'm not defending him in any way but it happens all the time. I think he probably was one of the most talented players to have ever played the game but yet another example of being given outrageous talent in one hand but being totally floored in his character and with life post football on the other hand.
    Yes, but Jay Rodrigues seems a decent enough lad and of course others have got away with things. However, there is a huge difference between taking advantage on a football field and the appalling lifestyle adopted by Maradona.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    So your agreeing with the majority there eh Woody, that he WAS a cheating piece of garbage after all.
    And he didn't look like he never eat either did he, so was that down to continuous cheating and bribes for food ?.
    (and let me say the word allegedly here lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Yes, but Jay Rodrigues seems a decent enough lad and of course others have got away with things. However, there is a huge difference between taking advantage on a football field and the appalling lifestyle adopted by Maradona.
    Yes but the discussion was about cheating on a football field and not about his character. Rodrigues is probably a very nice bloke but a deliberate handball to score a goal is a deliberate hand ball surely?

This is my point that football fans sometimes have selective views on things. Michael Owen dived in the World Cup in Japan to win a penalty v Argentina but no one mentions that despite Beckham scoring

Cheating on a field has nothing to do with his off field behaviour. Maradona was someone with limited education who became what he was. He completely imploded in the process due to substance abuse so I’d imagine he was a pretty obnoxious individual but to hear some football fans you’d think no one English ever cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes39 View Post
    Yes but the discussion was about cheating on a football field and not about his character. Rodrigues is probably a very nice bloke but a deliberate handball to score a goal is a deliberate hand ball surely?

This is my point that football fans sometimes have selective views on things. Michael Owen dived in the World Cup in Japan to win a penalty v Argentina but no one mentions that despite Beckham scoring

Cheating on a field has nothing to do with his off field behaviour. Maradona was someone with limited education who became what he was. He completely imploded in the process due to substance abuse so I’d imagine he was a pretty obnoxious individual but to hear some football fans you’d think no one English ever cheated.
    That's my point stripes. It wasn't 'the handball' that made him the obnoxious character he became but his off field antics. If it was just that handball, yes, he'd be the pantomime villan but that's it.

My point is nothing to do with him being a cheat, a drug addict, a bad role model for so many.

My point is that if you look at his good point, I.e. he was one of the best footballers of his generation, surely that does not mean 3 days of national mourning when he dies, his body lying in state etc etc.

I repeat the world has gone mad!

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    My point is nothing to do with him being a cheat, a drug addict, a bad role model for so many.

My point is that if you look at his good point, I.e. he was one of the best footballers of his generation, surely that does not mean 3 days of national mourning when he dies, his body lying in state etc etc.

I repeat the world has gone mad!

More like three days of his body lying in a right f u c k I n g state 😆⚰️⚰️⚰️

One way to get out of your tax bill.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)