+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maradonna Gone

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    But Matt, but he would cheat , do anything at all costs to win. His Argentine teammates would cynically bring players down when the opponents are through on goal , they would dive, they would demand yellow and red cards. All the things you said you detested.

To me he's a football genius, his absolute love for football was there for all to see at any age , he was basically a big kid. An incredibly talented kid what he did off the field I didn't really care about most of the negative questionable stuff was well after he had finished playing. A lot of footballers go off the rails once they can't play.

Hand of God

Feet of God

Legend

RIP

I didn't say I detested more I understood and that other fans need to understand that mentality.

Loved a quote from someone yesterday which went along the lines of Julius Caesar appointed a guy to walk behind him to remind him he was only a mere man but Maradonna had thousands behind him telling him he was God.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Unbelievable player and life. Many still discussing today do they forgive him for cheating. What a lot of English fans probably need to understand certainly from the point of south american teams doing so well is a lot of the players have that street mentality, fight for everything, being cute/crafty and having that passion to win at all costs. Does that make it right, possibly not, but if some of our players had that mental attitude with their ability we might have done something since 1966.
    Some of the Argentinian approach to playing England goes back to that match in 1966 and this article gives some views on what happened, including a full quote of Ramsey using the words "animals" - https://www.soccer-history.co.uk/lat...1966-world-cup

The Falklands would have stirred further antagonism towards England.

Flawed genius is my view. And Laddo - he, Maradona (thanks Banjo with a broken string) had gone off the rails whilst he was still playing top level football. As one Argentinian politician said "we don't want him as a role model for our kids" - bit late mate.

My vote for GOAT goes to Pele - it is hard to knock any points off of him and he was regularly fouled out of the game and didn't revert to cheating for revenge.

This is great by Liam Brady on what Maradona was like to play against in Serie A - and why he "wasn't a cheat"

"He never feigned injury, never went down looking to get somebody booked or sent off. He always bounced up on his feet and he was respectful."

https://twitter.com/migueldelaney/st...787757573?s=21

And do English players never ‘cheat’?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Some of the Argentinian approach to playing England goes back to that match in 1966 and this article gives some views on what happened, including a full quote of Ramsey using the words "animals" - https://www.soccer-history.co.uk/lat...1966-world-cup

The Falklands would have stirred further antagonism towards England.

Flawed genius is my view. And Laddo - he, Maradona (thanks Banjo with a broken string) had gone off the rails whilst he was still playing top level football. As one Argentinian politician said "we don't want him as a role model for our kids" - bit late mate.

My vote for GOAT goes to Pele - it is hard to knock any points off of him and he was regularly fouled out of the game and didn't revert to cheating for revenge.
    Pele the best, Maradonna a cheating sod

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    A bit of a cheat but what a player, football was a better place with you in it. R.I.P
    He is the best player I've ever seen play.
    Also his goal against England is the best goal I've ever seen, his second goal against us in the same game wasn't bad either !

However if Ardley had got his hands on him , I've no doubt he would have become one of the best defensive midfielders the world has ever known
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    He is the best player I've ever seen play.
    Also his goal against England is the best goal I've ever seen, his second goal against us in the same game wasn't bad either !

However if Ardley had got his hands on him , I've no doubt he would have become one of the best defensive midfielders the world has ever known
    xx
    You even mention Ardley on a Maradonna thread? Obsessed or what?
    Enter Laddo stage left.

Nahhh better on this occasion to just stand to one side and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    You even mention Ardley on a Maradonna thread? Obsessed or what?
    Enter Laddo stage left.
    why not , they are both made from the same cloth
    one the best footballer the world has ever seen
    the other , well Ardley ...
    xx

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123