+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maradona

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Spot on mate
    Tahh Ponty, and I think the majority of fans think the same about this don't they. No sympathy here from me anyway!.

Pair of 2hats ! Only see the bad side , Grow up

Very amusing there Roma kid lol. So what if we don't want to change our opinion then about the cowardly cheat ?.

Al bray booarth onya ! Capisė

PMSL Roma I get your point Acido but if Lineker had punched the ball in at the other end I bet you wouldn’t have complained?

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    PMSL Roma I get your point Acido but if Lineker had punched the ball in at the other end I bet you wouldn’t have complained?
    Ohhh believe me Perky I would have spiked his crisps with summat disgusting if he'd done that lol. And as Doc Holliday said in the film Tombstone, 'my hypocrisy only goes so far!'.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Al bray booarth onya ! Capisė
    You'll have to find me first Roma lad, and believe me I know all the best dark hiding places in my own Normytaarn.

If we're gonna judge folk on cheating then there can't be a footballer in the top two divisions of this country that you like Acido & Ponte.

I hate cheating personally. However, the majority of players across the world do it. It's part and parcel of football nowadays. Puts me reight off.

Maradona 'hand of God' was an opportunist thing that would be seen by the official 9 times art o 10. On this occasion it was missed by the officials who should also be held accountable.

I remember Luis Suarez saving a goalbound Ghanaian shot in the 2010 world cup which ended up winning Uruguay the quarter final tie. Rivaldo holding his face after the ball clearly struck his chest in 2002. Matterazzi winding up Zidane in the 2006 final. Klinsmann diving all or in Italy 90. German goalie Schumacher taking out French striker Battison in Spain 82.

All high profile cheats on the biggest football stage.

Personally I ain't gonna judge Maradona on the hand ball incident alone. He was the greatest footballer I've ever seen in my generation. Absolutely on another level. Poetry in motion watching him move with the ball.

There's been some truly great world class players in the modern era, the likes of Zidane, Figo, Pirlo, Baresi, Gascoigne, Matthaus, Gullit, Hagi, Stoichkov, Bergkamp, Blanc, Desailly, Van Basten and a few more but even they couldn't get near to how good Maradona was.

He's the greatest footballer I've ever seen no doubt about it .

But in my opinion when you are talking about a man's life then everything about him has to be put on the table .

Greatest footballer in my adult lifetime but he never did leave the ghetto of Buenos Aires where he was raised .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    He's the greatest footballer I've ever seen no doubt about it .

But in my opinion when you are talking about a man's life then everything about him has to be put on the table .

Greatest footballer in my adult lifetime but he never did leave the ghetto of Buenos Aires where he was raised .
    Can't have been easy living under the scrutiny he did. He couldn't fart wi art it being in the headlines at one point. Couldn't leave the house wi art at least 20 paparazzis and reporters crowded rarnd him. Gazza also fell foul of hero worship then once he hit the height the british press did their best to destroy him. Same wi George Best.

One thing they have in common is that they're from rough backgrounds. Obviously Maradona being more deprived growing up where he did. How were they expected to cope with the attention? Back then tha wo chucked to the lions so to speak. No media training, poor education, poor advice from various folk wanting a slice of the pie, under constant pressure and scrutiny. How would any one of us handle it?

It's not always as straightforward as it seems. We've all got coping mechanisms in life. We all have choices. However, some folk have limited choice because they are in the spotlight everytime they breathe in and out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12