+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maradona

Maradona

Passed away age 60 yrs , a controversial figure , but a World Great in Football , i had the pleasure of seeing him at Wembley , England v Argentina , he was 19 yrs old ? , absolutely brilliant to watch , some will look to his dark side and ridicule him , he certainly wasn't a Saint ,, I prefer to remember him for his Great talent , R I P DIEGO ,

Great footballer , bad person .

RIP .

He certainly goes in my list of Great Player's i've seen in the flesh ,
    1st Pele
    2nd Maradona
    3rd Eusebio
    4th George Best
    5th Puskas
    6th Paul Gascoigne
    I may have missed a few true Greats eg Cruyff , Bergkamp , Redfearn !! All brought great excitement to the game , what have we now to compere closely to those afore mentioned ?

Ok - he was a bit of a crazy - but IMO he was the best I’ve ever seen.
    Good shout about Eusebio because if he had played for a bigger footballing nation such as Brazil then he would be considered on a par with Maradona and Pele.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Passed away age 60 yrs , a controversial figure , but a World Great in Football , i had the pleasure of seeing him at Wembley , England v Argentina , he was 19 yrs old ? , absolutely brilliant to watch , some will look to his dark side and ridicule him , he certainly wasn't a Saint ,, I prefer to remember him for his Great talent , R I P DIEGO ,
    Gr8 player but similar to Besty he was a flawed genius.In my opinion he's the 2nd best player behind Pele.The hand of god goal was obviously horrible for me as a Englishman but i will admit if an England player had done the same i wudda defo cheered it and cheered long and hard.RIP Diego.UTMPB

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Ok - he was a bit of a crazy - but IMO he was the best I’ve ever seen.
    Good shout about Eusebio because if he had played for a bigger footballing nation such as Brazil then he would be considered on a par with Maradona and Pele.

Portugal are a big footballing nation, one of the biggest

What a player, one of the greatest. Almost single handedly took Argentina to two world cup finals winning one of them. That 2nd goal against us in 1986 was magnificent and probably the greatest goal in world cup history, just a shame what preceded it.

I watched a documentary a few weeks ago abart Maradona. Really interesting, especially his time in Italy. Disgraceful what happened to an Italian lass he met. They had a bairn together, he denied all knowledge for years and that poor lass ed some reight shyte to purrup wi.

Gary Lineker told a great story about him, he said: The England team were warming up before playing Argentina and Maradona was stood on the pitch, he kicked a ball straight up in the air and it fell straight back to his feet without him moving, not only that he did it 13 times on the trot without him moving his feet! He says he looked to his left and Michael Owen was just stood staring at him with his mouth wide open.
    The England team then decided to try it and the most anyone could do was 3 and that was Owen who had moved all over the pitch to stop the ball when it came down......unbelievable Jeff.

I really couldn't care less about this, because he was a despicable cheat.
    I say that as an England fan, who had to accept him punching the ball into the net against us in the WC Qtr final in '86, and he never ever had the guts to admit it afterwards.
    And what angers me even more now is people like Gary Lineker and other former players, who are now queueing up to kiss his backside. Despite also criticising him over the years for those WC moments Ive mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I really couldn't care less about this, because he was a despicable cheat.
    I say that as an England fan, who had to accept him punching the ball into the net against us in the WC Qtr final in '86, and he never ever had the guts to admit it afterwards.
    And what angers me even more now is people like Gary Lineker and other former players, who are now queueing up to kiss his backside. Despite also criticising him over the years for those WC moments Ive mentioned.
    Spot on mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast