+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the GOAT?

Who is the GOAT?

That means Greatest Of All Time.

For me it has to be Pele. He played 812 top flight games for club and country and scored 757 goals. But he was much more than a goal scorer.

I would say...

1/. Pele
    2/. Ronaldo
    3/. Messi
    4/. Maradona
    5/. Cruyff

I thought it was a question about Shaun Goater

For me:

Pele, the best

The others I'd rate in no particular order.

Cruyff

Kempest

Thierry Henry, who I cannot stand as a person

Lev Yashin

Adam Blacklaw

Andrea Pirlo

Brian O'Neil

Maybe a few more who I cannot think of offhand

Jimmy Mac is not in as I have not seen him play or seen enough film of him, notice Altobelli is not in my choices.

the bestest super-duper ever ever....ever ?

I dont know as there can be One before all others...but as Alto in the "Hand of..." thread - "Prima Donnas and soft arses"....there's many will drop at the slightest touch, give up too easily, and if so, how much do they trust their own skills, Believe ?....which is one of the reasons I rate this guy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq4ZpjLBt4I

and I think, as undoubtedly great as Pele was....how would he have fared against more recent players - as well as ?

Last edited by Norder; 25-11-2020 at 08:12 PM.

A very hard question to answer this one. For me George a Best was amazing and our own Jimmy Mcilroy was a fantastic player.. My dad said the greatest of them all was Tom Finney followed by Stanley Matthews. I think Pele was great along with Messi,Cryff,Maradona.. So there are quite a few in my book.

Well I am never going to see the likes of Finney, Best and Pele again and they are three players who I watched and have seen perform live on quite a number of occasions. I will also add Franz Beckenbauer to that list because he was a superb footballer and could read a game better than any other I have seen. If I pick a fifth it would have to be Johann Cruyff who I saw play regularly when I was stationed in Germany ---great player and, along with the others, all in a very different era.
    No good comparing because you need to enjoy the present and there are some good players around but they have so much going in their favour these days and that was not the case with the players I have mentioned!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Well I am never going to see the likes of Finney, Best and Pele again and they are three players who I watched and have seen perform live on quite a number of occasions. I will also add Franz Beckenbauer to that list because he was a superb footballer and could read a game better than any other I have seen. If I pick a fifth it would have to be Johann Cruyff who I saw play regularly when I was stationed in Germany ---great player and, along with the others, all in a very different era.
    No good comparing because you need to enjoy the present and there are some good players around but they have so much going in their favour these days and that was not the case with the players I have mentioned!
    I’m going to say Maradonna was the greatest player of all time ( not because he passed away today ) but because he won football games ( let alone leagues ) on his own - genius with skill , strength , and balance.

If I had to pick from a more modern era you could look no further than the premiership and my ultimate favourite Dennis Bergkamp but in truth Paul scholes and Giggs were very special .

Every day at training Ronaldo would challenge scholes to a competition and every day scholes won ( says it all when ronaldo is now a genius).

It must be Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

Simply the greatest footballer of all time.

Attachment 17593

Edson Arantes do Nascimento (Pele) was the greatest outfield player I have ever seen, such a pity in the 1966 world cup finals he was literally kicked out of the competition, never seen since a game where the referee allowed such conduct to go unpunished as that dished out to Pele. I would also say that Lev Yashin was the best goalkeeper.

Of the players regularly appearing at Turf Moor I would mention Colin MacDonald, John Angus, Jimmy McIlroy (Burnley), Bobby Moore (West Ham), George Best & Paul Scholes (Manchester United), John White & Jimmy Greaves (Tottenham Hotspur), Tom Finney (Preston North End) who I always thought was far better than Stanley Matthews.

Before making my final selection I will put a tin hat on as it will be Bryan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers).

Bryan Douglas (Blackburn Rovers). Was a very talented player he could beat 1-2-3 players. But as a winger when Bryan took on those players with his dribbling,it allowed the opposing defence to re-group back in defence. I would hate to have been in an attacking position at that time.

He was good BT but not fit to lace Diego s boots

Watch the references on him on sky the man was a genius and literally when I say won games and leagues on his own despite being pole axed at every opportunity from the opposition.

It’s a game of opinions I know ! There are exceptional players now but non like maradonna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)