+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drubbed At The Etihad Again.

Drubbed At The Etihad Again.

In what has become an annual Etihad ritual of humiliation, Burnley were walloped 5-0 once again by Manchester City. - External Link

If Turf Moor is Jordan North’s “happy place” then Manchester City’s Etihad Stadium is whatever the polar opposite must be.

For the fourth time in as many seasons, Burnley have rocked up at the Etihad and left nursing the wounds inflicted by a five-nil defeat; a statistic that is as implausible as it is embarrassing.

Worse teams than Burnley have emerged from their fixture against City, if not with a positive result, then at least with a means of restricting the scale of defeat to something more manageable, something their supporters can shrug off with greater ease, something that won’t leave scars which are opened up season after season.

This suggests, to me at least, that the trepidation of Burnley’s visits to the Etihad have now taken up permanent residence in the minds of Burnley’s players and their manager. For it seems that as hammering is followed by hammering; the mental disintegration is such that Dyche can come up with no tactical plan, no team selection, no words of motivation which will have the slightest effect.

In a contest between two teams, it is disconcerting in the extreme that one of those teams can exert no influence whatsoever on the eventual outcome.

It is a situation that will continue to perpetuate unless, or until, there is a change in personal or sadly more likely a change of status of one of the teams and let’s face it, that isn’t going to be City.

Injuries to Josh Brownhill and Nick Pope (who suffered a blow on the head in the process of preserving his clean sheet by making the save which denied Christian Benteke a rare goal towards the end of last Monday evening’s match against Palace) necessitated Burnley handing poisoned-chalice Premier League debuts to Josh Benson and Bailey Peacock-Farrell in goal.

Deputising for Pope in this fixture would be tough for any debutant goalkeeper and as such, the very least Peacock-Farrell could expect and deserve would be some protection from his more experienced colleagues. But James Tarkowski’s careless pass allowed Riyad Mahrez unfettered access to Peacock-Farrell’s goal to put City a goal up as early as the 6th minute.

On the stroke of the 22nd minute the same player benefited from some more dozy defending from a throw in and effortlessly doubled the home team’s lead.

Mendy’s volley which made the score 3-0 by half-time was not as easily preventable, being as it was, the culmination of a sublime move.

In general the Clarets picked up slightly after the break; they scavenged and made better use of the crumbs of possession which fell from City’s table. A few corners fizzed across City’s penalty area and Josh Benson was denied a debut goal when his free kick deflected off the head of a City defender manning the defensive wall and fizzed narrowly wide of Ederson’s goal.

Two further goals were subsequently added, with Mahrez completing his hat-trick and there was still time for City to add what they thought was a sixth goal, when Peacock-Farrell pulled off what was an excellent save only to find the ball deflecting off his elbow and trickling over the line.

His blushes were spared by the all-seeing eye of VAR which detected a foot straying into an offside position. Normally such petty pedantry infuriates me, but on this occasion I was grateful for this tiniest of mercies.

Heaton, Hart and Pope have all previously suffered an identical fate to that which befell Peacock-Farrell yesterday, hopefully this will be of some succour to him and he will go on to enjoy a long and productive career which yesterday’s aberration will not define.

As for his Burnley team mates, it goes without saying that ongoing Premier League tenure depends in no small part to them putting this result behind them as quickly as possible and certainly before the visit of Everton to Turf Moor next Saturday lunch time.

David Thornley offers a sombre Sunday reflection on, yet another 5 goal Clarets rout suffered at the home of Manchester City.

Editor’s note: I cannot fathom why Sean Dyche does not just set up his team to defend a goalless draw at the Etihad. These regular drubbings are heart-breaking for Burnley fans and one or two of our players need the motivation of a good old-fashioned boot up the backside or the Fergie style hair dryer treatment. (TEC.)

Every day is Christmas for Pep when Burnley turn up (or not!)

Attachment 17631

From Footymad - ( 29 November 2020 By Dave Thornley)

'' But James Tarkowski’s careless pass allowed Riyad Mahrez unfettered access to Peacock-Farrell’s goal to put City a goal up as early as the 6th minute.''

But ask the question ''why was Taylor 7 or 8 yards away from Mahrez,and on the wrong side of Mahrez'' That is not defending,11 year old schoolboys do better! How does a defender let his opposing player get into such an 'alone' position in front of an open goal?

Highlights & Goals | Man City vs. Burnley 5-0 ( https://youtu.be/ckz-1qTM_cg )view from ( 0.17 -0.22)
    or https://youtu.be/GfFPIEGgaGE

''On the stroke of the 22nd minute the same player benefited from some more dozy defending from a throw in and effortlessly doubled the home team’s lead. (agreed dozy defending, same player! ). That is not defending,11 year old schoolboys do better! How does a defender let his opposing player get into such an 'alone' position. View (0.22 - 026 ) ,but on 2nd thoughts, don't view it's too depressing to see.

''Mendy’s volley which made the score 3-0 by half-time was not as easily preventable, being as it was, the culmination of a sublime move.''

Sorry it was preventable https://youtu.be/GfFPIEGgaGE view ( 0.38) Stop at that moment to see everybody's position.

City's goalkeeper is some 4-5 yrds out of his penalty area ,being used as an extra player. Four or five City players are free to receive a pass.

Sorry lads , this is just so pathetic to watch, to describe it ,we are all out of position and City, are free to roam about in the park, as free as a bird. It is preventable, why should I make for you lads such a lousy day? Have a beer ,go for a walk,take the wife shopping . There is always another game coming soon,so maybe??

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    From Footymad - ( 29 November 2020 By Dave Thornley)

'' But James Tarkowski’s careless pass allowed Riyad Mahrez unfettered access to Peacock-Farrell’s goal to put City a goal up as early as the 6th minute.''

But ask the question ''why was Taylor 7 or 8 yards away from Mahrez,and on the wrong side of Mahrez'' That is not defending,11 year old schoolboys do better! How does a defender let his opposing player get into such an 'alone' position in front of an open goal?

Highlights & Goals | Man City vs. Burnley 5-0 ( https://youtu.be/ckz-1qTM_cg )view from ( 0.17 -0.22)
    or https://youtu.be/GfFPIEGgaGE

''On the stroke of the 22nd minute the same player benefited from some more dozy defending from a throw in and effortlessly doubled the home team’s lead. (agreed dozy defending, same player! ). That is not defending,11 year old schoolboys do better! How does a defender let his opposing player get into such an 'alone' position. View (0.22 - 026 ) ,but on 2nd thoughts, don't view it's too depressing to see.

''Mendy’s volley which made the score 3-0 by half-time was not as easily preventable, being as it was, the culmination of a sublime move.''

Sorry it was preventable https://youtu.be/GfFPIEGgaGE view ( 0.38) Stop at that moment to see everybody's position.

City's goalkeeper is some 4-5 yrds out of his penalty area ,being used as an extra player. Four or five City players are free to receive a pass.

Sorry lads , this is just so pathetic to watch, to describe it ,we are all out of position and City, are free to roam about in the park, as free as a bird. It is preventable, why should I make for you lads such a lousy day? Have a beer ,go for a walk,take the wife shopping . There is always another game coming soon,so maybe??
    It was is preventable Balan your right , but not with the set up of players we have.

It was bad defending ( which Dyche will be livid about I’m sure ) , but the real reason we don’t offer anything against them is Pace , we don’t have any going backwards or forwards and our style of play doesn’t allow us to keep the ball up front and get midfielder s to support the forwards quickly enough to affect the game.

In reverse when we do try to support the front men and don’t keep the ball transition from back to front is slow and laboured hence why we get opened up like cans of tuna constantly.

If you add all the above to the fact that City’s back four play at least at the half way line or in our half most of the game because after 5 mins they work out that if a ball goes into channels or over the top they aren’t going to lose a foot race against our front men or wide men.

It’s been the same for 6 years our style of play - plays straight into Peps hands we’re not a possession based team and against great footballers they will pull you from pillar to post .

What makes this performance even more alarming is that this was a City team not exactly firing on all cylinders, they were 14th in the league, had only scored 10 goals in their previous 8 PL games, had been hammered by Leicester, failed to beat WHU and Leeds, and had just scraped past Sheffield United 1-0.

But still we turned up like lambs to the slaughter. Somethings not reyt.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    What makes this performance even more alarming is that this was a City team not exactly firing on all cylinders, they were 14th in the league, had only scored 10 goals in their previous 8 PL games, had been hammered by Leicester, failed to beat WHU and Leeds, and had just scraped past Sheffield United 1-0.

But still we turned up like lambs to the slaughter. Somethings not reyt.
    I had my two rather boisterous grandson's up here on Saturday and mercifully missed the whole "LIVE" viewing. OMG the shortened version I did watch was truly phucking embarrassing, but at least Benson will be able to compete in the Championship with us next season.

We suffer the usual heavy defeat at City etc., etc.
    I was prompted to look at our results against them in the last few seasons and compare the record of a few other teams (sorry alto I know that you are only interested in Burnley, however, I watch football at all levels, including women, and enjoy analysis).

I looked at the last 9 PL matches going back to 2016/17 season:
    Burnley P9 W0 D1 L8 F4 A28 Pts1: West Ham United P9 W0 D1 L8 F4 A26 Pts 1 (this season): Watford P9 W0 D0 L9 F4 A35 Pts0:
    Crystal Palce P9 W1 D2 L6 F7 A25 Pts5: Bournemouth P9 W0 D0 L9 F5 A23 Pts0: Swansea City P9 W0 D1 L8 F9 A26 Pts1:
    Stoke City P9 W2 D1 L6 F7 A22 Pts7 ---all points gained under the management of Mark Hughes who was sacked in January 2018 and they have had 4 managers since then.

So we have West Ham and Bournemouth suffering similar fates to ourselves, in spite of both these teams being regarded by the media as 'footballing teams'
    Stoke were always similar to us until the fans wanted a change of style, Mark Hughes got the 2 wins against City with the 'old style' team, however, he then tried to change things and make them into a 'footballing team' --he failed, got sacked and look where they are now.
    Watford have consistently struggled and last season lost 0-8 and 0-4 and that was after their cup final defeat 0-6 at the end of the previous system.
    Crystal Palace's relative success has all been achieved under good old Roy.
    It isn't just us that have struggled against City in recent times.

“Editor’s note: I cannot fathom why Sean Dyche does not just set up his team to defend a goalless draw at the Etihad. These regular drubbings are heart-breaking for Burnley fans and one or two of our players need the motivation of a good old-fashioned boot up the backside or the Fergie style hair dryer treatment. (TEC.)”

I thought that’s how we were set-up, it’s Dyche standard Plan A, Plan B does not exist.

He could try a new bonus scheme against Manchester City, an additional £50 for every goal we score but minus £50 for every goal conceded. Would that motivate them or disillusion them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    “Editor’s note: I cannot fathom why Sean Dyche does not just set up his team to defend a goalless draw at the Etihad. These regular drubbings are heart-breaking for Burnley fans and one or two of our players need the motivation of a good old-fashioned boot up the backside or the Fergie style hair dryer treatment. (TEC.)”

I thought that’s how we were set-up, it’s Dyche standard Plan A, Plan B does not exist.
    I didn't see the whole game, only the highlights, so I could be wrong, but the team sheet showed us in a 4-2-3-1 formation, and in the bits I saw I could not at any point discern us defending with the usual two rows of four. We looked to be all over the place, but obviously I will defer to anyone who saw the whole game and will be better able to judge than I am.

It isn’t just that we have struggled Sub, it is the way we have struggled. The Manchester City team or even their second eleven are in the main better players than we have. However, we have failed season after season to show any real resistance to allowing them to keep coming forward. I was hoping in the cup match that we would at least try to get onto the front foot, but we had no change of tactics even when it was a one off game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)