+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Manchester City v Burnley Match Preview

I have read all the threads on the board and of course watched the match with City and other games. I agree with the many comments that have been made. What stands out is our basic standard of skill/methodology/quality is extremely poor. I know it has already been said but there is no pace at all anywhere in the team. I have to say both Lowton and Taylor were exposed mainly due to their lack of pace and as we are likely to lose Tarkowski we either invest in January or we get relegated. Midfield seems to be trying to support the front line leaving a massive gap between the backline and midfield. However, I think that there is a future with most of our current midfielders but the likes of McNeill and Brady are clearly not good enough so again some level of investment is needed. Up front again is not that bad but they do not get any service although we need a fox in the box a bit like Andy Payton. Again the question is investment. Now the manager should look at himself, personally I do not want SD to go but it wouldn't surprise me if he walked as the current situation at the club is making the job untenable. What I found a little depressing today was watching Not Forest play Swansea and both teams played good watchable football no matter what the score. I seem to remember Steve Cotterill being sacked because our standard of play was worse than basic and of course losing games. To a certain degree a poor standard of play can only tolerated if there are as many winning/drawing games as losses. So I think this is where we are at the moment and due to takeover it is uncertain if the squad can be refreshed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Having watched Burnley for over 60 years, including good times and bad times, but in all this time I think Sean Dyche is the most inflexible manager we have ever had.

that immovability is of their own volition - is self-imposed, decided that way, a deliberate practice that'll avoid serious modification because either the parts of the machine aren't capable or the transition will require outlay on new pieces that'll require further enhancement if are to develop into a properly competing unit....of course, can go along like it for a while, survive with the basics, but if you rely on the weakness of others to survive yourself , then there will come a time when even the low end becomes to high for you - or the majority of your own apparatus will just...fail.

as for the MC game....seems they gave up before they began, I guess some would've paid for it on the box...so lucky for the team/manager there wasn't travelling support to witness it.

Malwayne: I have no idea how S D thinks I just look at what I see on the field. Why is saying one thing and doing it is so hard to do ?

If 2 forwards are attempting to win the ball, against 2 defenders and a goalkeeper and running like headless chickens,trying to get the ball,what sense is there in that?
    If the goal keeper plays the ball out to the right defender ,Woods would chase after it ,(true or false ?)The defender plays it back to the keeper, what should Barnes do? Chase after the ball at the keepers feet? Then the keeper passes to his left defender, What should Barnes do? What can he do? Always a City midfielder drops back to help out.
    City are already on attack! At this moment what could be the distance between Wood /Barnes and midfield? 20 or 30 yards? If City have 2 attackers in attack, how many would they have in midfield? Five or six? If we have a back line of 4 or 5 (take your pick ?) How many Burnley players would be in midfield? So then perhaps 4 of our players trying to capture the ball from 6 City players? How then can they stop City?
    As soon as the ball is played from keeper to any side ,one of City's 6 players in midfield drops back ,giving an option for the ball to be played forward or a pass back to the keeper.
    The problem lies in the 2 forwards running like headless chickens! They become separated from the rest of the squad!
    I do not say construct a back line of 10 players!!
    All they need to do is drop back after the halfway. This makes the team more compact not so stretched out.
    Man City have good players and a good manager they will come at you.But we do not ,should not, let them put 5 or 6 in our goals.
    We do not have a team that can attack City in another way by attacking them in their defence. Better would be to be more compact and to stop them playing their game,to close them down as best we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    Malwayne: I have no idea how S D thinks I just look at what I see on the field. Why is saying one thing and doing it is so hard to do ?

If 2 forwards are attempting to win the ball, against 2 defenders and a goalkeeper and running like headless chickens,trying to get the ball,what sense is there in that?
    If the goal keeper plays the ball out to the right defender ,Woods would chase after it ,(true or false ?)The defender plays it back to the keeper, what should Barnes do? Chase after the ball at the keepers feet? Then the keeper passes to his left defender, What should Barnes do? What can he do? Always a City midfielder drops back to help out.
    City are already on attack! At this moment what could be the distance between Wood /Barnes and midfield? 20 or 30 yards? If City have 2 attackers in attack, how many would they have in midfield? Five or six? If we have a back line of 4 or 5 (take your pick ?) How many Burnley players would be in midfield? So then perhaps 4 of our players trying to capture the ball from 6 City players? How then can they stop City?
    As soon as the ball is played from keeper to any side ,one of City's 6 players in midfield drops back ,giving an option for the ball to be played forward or a pass back to the keeper.
    The problem lies in the 2 forwards running like headless chickens! They become separated from the rest of the squad!
    I do not say construct a back line of 10 players!!
    All they need to do is drop back after the halfway. This makes the team more compact not so stretched out.
    Man City have good players and a good manager they will come at you.But we do not ,should not, let them put 5 or 6 in our goals.
    We do not have a team that can attack City in another way by attacking them in their defence. Better would be to be more compact and to stop them playing their game,to close them down as best we can.
    Not exactly Rocket Science is it Balan?

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster100 View Post
    To a certain degree a poor standard of play can only tolerated if there are as many winning/drawing games as losses. So I think this is where we are at the moment and due to takeover it is uncertain if the squad can be refreshed.
    Which is what I have been saying for the last 3 seasons, even with our 7th place finish some of the games were dire, even some we won, I could see it was a car crash waiting to happen, so could a few on here, but the most important person (garlick) could'nt, which is why it has come to a head now, and why I have always thought of garlick as a second hand car salesman at the head of something that is far beyond him.

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    Which is what I have been saying for the last 3 seasons, even with our 7th place finish some of the games were dire, even some we won, I could see it was a car crash waiting to happen, so could a few on here, but the most important person (garlick) could'nt, which is why it has come to a head now, and why I have always thought of garlick as a second hand car salesman at the head of something that is far beyond him.
    Roll on the takeover. Sooner the better,I've had enough of Garlic.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Roll on the takeover. Sooner the better,I've had enough of Garlic.
    I know that you are sceptical about the Yanks Alf, to tell you the truth so am I as we dont know if we are jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, but something has to change and it certainly is not Garlick, lets hope the grit, determination and belief that the players have had in previous seasons continutes and we remain the the PL so ALK can go about their business with us still in the PL

Quote Originally Posted by Altobelli View Post
    I know that you are sceptical about the Yanks Alf, to tell you the truth so am I as we dont know if we are jumping out of the frying pan into the fire, but something has to change and it certainly is not Garlick, lets hope the grit, determination and belief that the players have had in previous seasons continutes and we remain the the PL so ALK can go about their business with us still in the PL
    Not sure we will be in the Prem though Alto.Fingers crossed that we will be come next May. Will be tough though.

I'm really depressed at present. Burnley are not helping.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'm really depressed at present. Burnley are not helping.

a little tonic from the trouble - B T

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)