+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next up - St Johnstone in the League Cup

Next up - St Johnstone in the League Cup

Motherwell and St Johnstone meet at Fir Park on Saturday as the Betfred Cup knockout stage begins. - External Link

Is this the lowest key cup tie we've ever played? I'm not especially up for it today but a quick chat with the group had folk ranging from not caring to actually hoping we lose to prevent fixture congestion later in the season. There's a belief that winning the cup when not only not able to be there but possibly not even be able to watch/celebrate together would be so bittersweet it's better not to bother...

For me I'd still rather win today than lose but I can understand the apathy.

One change for the cup tie from last week's team at McDiarmid. Lamie replaces the benched McGinley.

Quote Originally Posted by jwok View Post
    One change for the cup tie from last week's team at McDiarmid. Lamie replaces the benched McGinley.
    It'd be pointless winning it this season anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    It'd be pointless winning it this season anyway.
    I know what you mean but I'd take it anyway.

Not that it'll happen though, a penalty shootout loss on the cards for us today I reckon.

Not going to make it that far.

It's been pretty rotten from both sides but when 21 players are utter rubbish and O'Hallaran, the only thing remotely resembling a footballer, is on their side rather than ours there's no complaints about losing even if it's close.

Absolutely shocking performance and we got what we deserved. Today yet again highlights that the standard of some of the players we have at the club is embarrassingly poor. Lamie, Seedorf and White all getting game time for us is galling and yet again today, Lamie sold the jerseys and shows that he is a lower League level player who shouldn't be anywhere our subs bench, never mind being a regular starter.

Another early Cup exit for us in a tie that we should be winning. Nothing more needs said about that as it's the same old story and I'm utterly sick of it.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 28-11-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Robinson's cup record well and truly now into the negative territory.

Our last four exits all at home to dross.

St Johnstone are unbeaten in 10 and were - obviously because it's us - the toughest draw we could have had. While by no means great we can hardly put them in the bracket of sides we should easily be bumping off even if we hoped to win.

In a bizarre way I love seeing Lamie and White play - if these guys are professionals, it shows just how utterly chronic the rest of us are/were huffing around amateur pitches. Shame it's us they play for mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Robinson's cup record well and truly now into the negative territory.

Our last four exits all at home to dross.
    When he took over at first he had a mindset which was a breath of fresh air for us in that he didn't appear to subscribe to the "we're only Motherwell and we're punching way above our weight" nonsense. As a result we dug out big results against the Old Firm and did likewise in the Cups.

Sadly it seems as if the club have managed to shake that out of him over the last few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)