+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlikely heroes

Unlikely heroes

Colin Sullivan.

Roundly set upon by all and sundry, when he arrived. Turned it around and became a cult hero.

Any others?

Ragnaldo

Has he reached hero status yet??

Well on the way.

Vince Hilaire, got dogs abuse when he came here with Palace, loved him when he moved here

Not really an unlikely hero though. I remember the feeling of excitement when I’d heard he had signed.

Micky Tait, @ 1st he didn't seem to have anything apart from grit & determination. Became a huge cult hero with his never say die attitude. PA Tait he became known as, as in play anywhere. FB, CH, CF even CM. They dont make them like that anymore.

Tait was a legend in my mind when he got that rapid fire hat trick.

I'm going to nominate two Harris' (I see both are in the Pompey 'Hall of Fame'):

Peter Harris - the flying winger who was a boyhood hero of mine. I can still see him flying down the wing and cutting into the penalty area. The modern-day footballer who is similar in style is Arjen Robben. Both were slim, compact players with great ball. An 'Unlikely Hero' because I often saw him and his wife at London Road shops on match days. More down-to-earth you couldn't have got!

Harry Harris - No 10, signed from Newport County. There was something about Harry that resonated with me. He was a tough inside forward. I remember him going up to head the ball from a corner and leaving four defenders prone on the pitch. I met him once in Wales when we were part of the same sales team. Unlikely hero - because he was Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by cunninglinguist View Post
    Tait was a legend in my mind when he got that rapid fire hat trick.
    I remember that game. Yosser incredible. Them were the days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)