+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bi Fab is a disaster and

Maybe things will change when Brexit is finally completed.
    There is controversy over the possibility of Britain breaking the law regarding the Irish border.
    If it is going to make it easier for Britain to trade, it should be done.
    Think Boris has it spot on, the Eu are demanding a border for their trade integrity.
    Boris reply is ,if you want a border you build it.
    Britain in the past has been more worried about there image, other countries break international law and nothing is done about, only have to look at the Hong Kong agreement, what have we done about it, sent them a nasty letter ?

The EU aren't demanding anything, they are expecting the tories to honour the Withdrawal Agreement that won them the 2019 general election. But tories are lying scumbags so no surprise they want to renege on yet another manifesto commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    the blame lies squarely with the Scottish government.
    The tories have just given £130m to Michelle Mone and her fake company, nothing for a scottish company though. Nothing changes, does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taintedice View Post
    The tories have just given £130m to Michelle Mone and her fake company, nothing for a scottish company though. Nothing changes, does it.
    I am sorry Taintedice, I really don't think the example you have given is relevant. If you can't see the political failure of the SNP action in not supporting BiFab then there really isn't much more to say. There have been political failures from Westminster too, allowing defence industry companies to be sold abroad, Cobham and ARM are two examples. I am sure you could find Scottish companies that have received support from Holyrood but in the case of BiFab they failed.

The EU aren't demanding anything, they are expecting the tories to honour the Withdrawal Agreement that won them the 2019 general election. But tories are lying scumbags so no surprise they want to renege on yet another manifesto commitment.
    What about the once in a generation referendum?

There was demand for a new one less than 4 years later!

This Scottish government does not know how to protect Scottish business any more than the U.K. one.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I am sorry Taintedice, I really don't think the example you have given is relevant. If you can't see the political failure of the SNP action in not supporting BiFab then there really isn't much more to say. There have been political failures from Westminster too, allowing defence industry companies to be sold abroad, Cobham and ARM are two examples. I am sure you could find Scottish companies that have received support from Holyrood but in the case of BiFab they failed.
    Of course I can see the political failure of the Scottish govt here, I'm totally with the Green MSP who said they should have just went round whatever these state aid rules are. Especially as the work seems to be going to China. But the UK govt are also in the frame here, especially given recent announcements of billions for their new green agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by hmac View Post
    What about the once in a generation referendum?

There was demand for a new one less than 4 years later!

This Scottish government does not know how to protect Scottish business any more than the U.K. one.
    once-in-a-generation was used by Johnson to win GE 2019, it's a useful tool, nothing more. Would they have dropped brexit if the tories didn't get a majority, of course not. Won't disagree about Scotgov being any better in protecting business than the UK, career politicians shouldn't be involved in that aspect of government.

once-in-a-generation was used by Johnson to win GE 2019, it's a useful tool, nothing more. Would they have dropped brexit if the tories didn't get a majority, of course not. Won't disagree about Scotgov being any better in protecting business than the UK, career politicians shouldn't be involved in that aspect of government.
    Not sure that there is still a significant desire in England for Brexit. I think there were a large number of traditional Labour voters who swung the vote. They were clearly unhappy with the London Metropolitan elite who called them racist because they didn't agree that freedom of movement of people was actually working in their best interest.
    Independence is very unlikely to die away unless Labour gets a big majority in Westminster and somehow they persuade the doubters about the value of independence that Scotland with a Labour Westminster Government will actually achieve more with some Labour MPs from Scotland. The default position of the SNP in Westminster to oppose and decry anything that the Conservatives have tried to do, IMO has been a complete waste of political power, especially when Theresa May had no political clout. The Ulster Unionist got something out of their collaboration with the Conservatives. I thought that there might have been something that they could have got to benefit us but they could not sacrifice their principles and perhaps that is something to be admired?

I have found the posts on this topic very interesting and illuminating.
    There was a firm which I think was called Vestas based near Campbeltown in Kintyre which originally built wind turbines.
    From memory that firm is no longer based in Kintyre and the last I heard there was another firm based on the same site constructing
    towers for large wind turbines.
    I do not know if they are still in business.
    BiFab is now in administration with a reported loss to the Scottish Government of £52 Million.
    The SNP controlled Scottish Government politicians are blaming the EU state aid rules for the demise of BiFab which is very surprising considering the SNP controlled Scottish Government politicians think that the EU is wonderful.
    Scottish Government owned Prestwick Airport which to date has cost the Scottish taxpayers £40 million in loses is likely
    to be the next Scottish Government company to go bust.
    The Scottish Government have been trying to sell Prestwick Airport but the last interested party
    recently withdrew their interest.
    The Scottish Government with Alex Salmond as first minister purchased Prestwick Airport on 22nd November 2013 for £1 and it is doubtful if they could get as much as that for it nowadays.

You can have the position that Scotgov should intervene or they shouldn't intervene, you can't maintain both at the same time, doesn't make any logical sense. Attempting to save struggling companies is not about making a profit, it's about maintaining the capability these companies offer. Wait till it's direct rule from Westminster, nothing will be getting saved unless the company donates to the tory party.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)