+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Warne has come in for some right stick on praise and grumble this week....

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Really... you read people’s minds now do you
    So, if I posted a thread asking "Did the Nazis really murder 6 million Jews?", you would assume I just wanted to start a genuine debate ?

How long has Paul Warne now been our manager? 4 years or so?

That makes him one of the great survivors when the “average tenure’ in the football league is about 1 year 3 months

Yes PW has many good points and no doubt our Chairman knows what they are and how well he fits in.

Yes we are a yo-yo club and results reflect that, but football is also about entertainment and when we are in the Championship entertainment is in short supply when we get beaten most games.

But in that 4 years the “niceness” of PW has established itself in the team, we lack raw aggression and we (unlike most of our competition) don’t bend the rules to exploit a situation the pitch.

Even off the pitch, reports by closely connected media like the ‘Tiser are all hard luck stories and pat on the back stories about PW. I can’t remember the last time there was a critical review either of individual players, the team in general or of the management team as a whole. It’s all very nice.

Similarly I can’t remember PW ever criticising an individual performance or of the team as a whole, he might do it behind the scenes but I doubt it. He’s too nice

One other factor that’s growing is our fear of the opposition, starting with the management team selections and tactics, everything set up to contain the opposition rather than to put the opposition under pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    How long has Paul Warne now been our manager? 4 years or so?

That makes him one of the great survivors when the “average tenure’ in the football league is about 1 year 3 months

Yes PW has many good points and no doubt our Chairman knows what they are and how well he fits in.

Yes we are a yo-yo club and results reflect that, but football is also about entertainment and when we are in the Championship entertainment is in short supply when we get beaten most games.

But in that 4 years the “niceness” of PW has established itself in the team, we lack raw aggression and we (unlike most of our competition) don’t bend the rules to exploit a situation the pitch.

Even off the pitch, reports by closely connected media like the ‘Tiser are all hard luck stories and pat on the back stories about PW. I can’t remember the last time there was a critical review either of individual players, the team in general or of the management team as a whole. It’s all very nice.

Similarly I can’t remember PW ever criticising an individual performance or of the team as a whole, he might do it behind the scenes but I doubt it. He’s too nice

One other factor that’s growing is our fear of the opposition, starting with the management team selections and tactics, everything set up to contain the opposition rather than to put the opposition under pressure.
    I wouldn’t argue about that assessment and I argue with myself.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    Maybe PW is spending too much time with that puppy and taken his eye off the ball.
    It will be in the dugout next and part of the fitness team.

Needs putting in the potting shed in Tickhill
    With 4 legs it might score

Have you seen size of the dog and it’s only 6mths old or so, definitely going to be a donkey 😉

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Have you seen size of the dog and it’s only 6mths old or so, definitely going to be a donkey ��
    We’ve got enough of them already

Warnes time to kick some Ass, & take off his kiss me quick hat

We do need a Ronnie/ Stevie type mentality when we are playing champ clubs. Warne does go a bit over the top waxing lyrically about how good the opposition are. I agree about the wimbledon mentality thing. Feck the opposition we have to go into games thinking we are not gonna be beaten by these prima donna tosspots. They might think they are good but we are gonna show em they are not as good as they think.Have a sense of pride.

We need the Branstons and swailes types in our team who get blood on their heads and boots whether it be from heading dressing rooom doors or other players.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 27-11-2020 at 01:09 PM.

LOL
    Harsh t'owd lad

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    However, if you can/will, just take the time to read the first two pages of the Luton town post match thoughts and then let me know if you disagree with what was put. It covers ineptness with subs choices and tactical awareness and an awful lot of rubbish we are seeing being played at the moment that's not working.
    No I dont agree with you. You react each week* based on the result.

If you look at outcome (results) as the sole means to justify your comment, then, yes, of course you can kid yourself that you have a point and are correct.

However, in the real world of sport, it is not as simple as that. There is a concept of winners, losers and personal bests to consider. In some cases the opposition are just plain and simply better.* Then there are other factors to consider like performance trackers - are we making progress. Are players improving in areas like fitness and technique, understanding of systems and emotional response to changing phases of the match. Are we following the plan?

If you use blunt instruments such as results as your only measure of success then teams make no progress in your world

I think you overstate the effect systems and subs have on the result. Your simplistic assessment is that if we lose, it must have been wrong. Where do you factor in performance and improvement or quality of the opposition? You have no way of knowing whether any other system would have brought a different / better result.

You bang on about 451. How do you know 442 will work? It could actually be worse.

When do we actually play the much maligned 451 system anyway?* Look at it in terms of phases of the game. We probably only get in that formation when we defend our penalty box (teams that play 442 drop a forward off when they defend the box - its the same thing).* All other times, particularly when we have the ball, we do not play in that formation.

The whingers on here take over the board and anyone who opposes them gets shouted down. Its the same whingers that moan about everything - politics, police, laws, Judges, EU, council, EFL, PL, referees, linesmen - Jesus its tiresome reading some of the cr*p.

Lolmorgan has the right idea but for the wrong reason. I was close earlier this week (quell your joy). One thing is for sure there wont be a lobby calling for my return because I challenge your beliefs.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast