+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diego

Diego

Maradona dies, what a life he's had

Legend

Second that. Character & Legend.

The Greatest Of All Time. Period.

RIP Diego. What a player you were.

P.S. Can this year get any worse?
    Last edited by JamesMcClean; 25-11-2020 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    The Greatest Of All Time. Period.

RIP Diego. What a player you were.

P.S. Can this year get any worse?
    Agree, amazing. 86 was the first World Cup I really watched it all, he was just untouchable.

Tragic off field, magic on it. Best ever.

RIP Diego

I know it can be like comparing apples with pears but great as Ronaldo and Messi are, they just cannot compare to Maradona.

He elevated totally average sides in Napoli and Argentina to greatness completely single handedly. Messi, Ronaldo, Pele etc were fortunate to play in great teams. Fantastic as Messi is (and he is, no question) it’s noticeable that there has been a deterioration now Xavi, Iniesta etc are no longer there. And of course, in contrast to Diego, he has failed to take Argentina to the big one.

Finally, Maradona did all this despite playing in an era where he received zero referee protection and got lumps kicked out of him, including an infamous leg breaker by Goicoechea.

Best. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    I know it can be like comparing apples with pears but great as Ronaldo and Messi are, they just cannot compare to Maradona.

He elevated totally average sides in Napoli and Argentina to greatness completely single handedly. Messi, Ronaldo, Pele etc were fortunate to play in great teams. Fantastic as Messi is (and he is, no question) it’s noticeable that there has been a deterioration now Xavi, Iniesta etc are no longer there. And of course, in contrast to Diego, he has failed to take Argentina to the big one.

Finally, Maradona did all this despite playing in an era where he received zero referee protection and got lumps kicked out of him, including an infamous leg breaker by Goicoechea.

Best. Ever.
    https://youtu.be/VmyssDtOiLM

Worth a watch James. Lots of tricks and flicks etc that some folk think originated very recently

Great player .............especially with his hand

What a player he was. Amazing talent. The best and not yet surpassed IMO.

I love Messi. But Maradona for me.

Crazy guy too. Im looking forward to reading his biography. Should be an entertaining read.

I've got a framed print of that famous pic against Belgium 82, I'm sure i read that he is actually lining up a free-kick in that pic, but if you watched Maradona around then you know what the pic represents. 86 was first world cup I watched, so absolute hero, second goal against England maybe my favourite goal ever, remember being up late watching the game (Van Basten's at Euro 88 wasn't far behind tbf). Was devastated when he failed that drugs test in 94, though Robbie Baggio was great to watch at least.

Saw him on pitch at Hampden before match when he was Argentina manager, and couldn't believe just how small he looked. Amazing what he achieved at Napoli considering all the stuff that was going on in background from Barcelona time on. There are couple of good books out there already, Jimmy Burns wrote a decent one. Probably biggest surprise was he made it to 60. RIP

Grand Hotel Glasgow 1979 Aged 18

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)