+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The greatest ever?

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, there were a couple of seasons at Barcelona where he was just the best. I think Real Madrid fans even started applauding him one game when he absolutely destroyed them.
    All with a smile on his face no doubt! One of the very few footballers who always looked like he was actually enjoying it.

He is without doubt one of the best im not old enough to have seen the likes of Pele Eusebio Cruyff.

Paulo Maldini is a great of the game but not get mentioned in the same bracket as attackers.

I would say Messi is the best ive seen live and with my own eyes.

One doubt I have with modern players is how would they have reacted in 60-80's where the tackles were brutal, I have no doubt Diego would destroy teams in this era especially with the protection they get now.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    All with a smile on his face no doubt! One of the very few footballers who always looked like he was actually enjoying it.
    Exactly! He played in the highest-pressure games like he was having so much fun. I can't think of anyone else who has done that in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Only one shout for Brazilian Ronaldo so far? 2nd best ever to Maradona for me, frightening, even with missing half his best years with injuries.
    This.

I think if Brazilian Ronaldo had been able to stay fit and had the crazy drive that C Ronaldo has, he would have been pretty much the greatest striker ever. But the way it went, you can't help but feel that despite his incredible achievements, he didn't quite live up to his huge potential. When fit and on form, he was pretty much in a league of his own.

Maradona by far and away for me. Won a World Cup pretty much single handed and also did it at club level as well. The Brazilian Ronaldo is runner up for similar reasons, though he played with better players in 2002.

I’ve seen Messi play in the flesh, but the best player I’ve ever seen live is Lineker. His movement off the ball was worth the admission price alone.

I think if Brazilian Ronaldo had been able to stay fit and had the crazy drive that C Ronaldo has, he would have been pretty much the greatest striker ever. But the way it went, you can't help but feel that despite his incredible achievements, he didn't quite live up to his huge potential. When fit and on form, he was pretty much in a league of his own.
    As an out and out striker the best I’ve seen along with Van Basten.

He did win 2 World Cups and 2 Copa America’s so he is a legend in Brazil.

Never won a champions league but still had an excellent club career/record but without injury would have been even better.

Puskas

Harry Cursham

Exactly! He played in the highest-pressure games like he was having so much fun. I can't think of anyone else who has done that in the same way.
    Pele

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast