+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I'm assuming he still has the best record this century of any Dundee manager.....unless of course McIntyre or Mcpake are now ahead��

Just think back to the game at tannadice when Irvine got sent aff and compare it to the Ayr or hibs game the other week.

Up for it compared to ***** central.

Just saying i ken what I'd prefer.
    Agree. We have not really had the same feeing that there was a real will to win at the club apart from Hartley when he came in and his first season but since then the theory seems to be much more important than just winning personal battles on the pitch. It must be something in the coaching because I can't think of many players who have left us and gone on to do well. Gallacher is one but I think he moved before he was given the play out from the back tippy tappy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    I'm assuming he still has the best record this century of any Dundee manager.....unless of course McIntyre or Mcpake are now ahead😉

Just think back to the game at tannadice when Irvine got sent aff and compare it to the Ayr or hibs game the other week.

Up for it compared to ***** central.

Just saying i ken what I'd prefer.
    I felt he brought back a passion that was missing, and it’s been missing since he left

Can’t believe folk disliked him because they didn’t get told at a meeting first, maybe they think they were more important than they actually where

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    I felt he brought back a passion that was missing, and it’s been missing since he left

Can’t believe folk disliked him because they didn’t get told at a meeting first, maybe they think they were more important than they actually where
    Seems a very poor basis to condemn a manager, but I fear it did play a part. Rabid Ranger rant didn't go down too well with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Seems we're on the same page concerning some things at least.

Brown's appointment was divisive and was made by a very unpopular individual involved with the club at the time who in most people's opinion didn't have the best interests of Dundee FC at heart. I'm of the opinion that it was a very poor appointment to make. Others on this board will disagree and will say it was a good appointment they're entitled to their opinion and we've done that argument to death. Some just slag the guy off because of his association with Rangers and his 'steps of Ibrox' rant, If they want to be so narrow minded that's up to them.

He apparently left when he realised the job was beyond his capabilities and I agree, if that was the case, he was brave to do so. Having said that I'm pretty sure that Paul Hartley had been lined up before he left and that he was pushed out of the job.

Great player for us and for Rangers, should never have been appointed manager of Dundee FC.
    Fair play. I thought his speech on the steps of Ibrox was spot on tbh. I'll always see him as someone who was prepared to take flak to stand up for what was right, rather than just jump on the bandwagon and do what was easier.

I find it interesting to hear the wide range of views you guys have on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardliner View Post
    Fair play. I thought his speech on the steps of Ibrox was spot on tbh. I'll always see him as someone who was prepared to take flak to stand up for what was right, rather than just jump on the bandwagon and do what was easier.

I find it interesting to hear the wide range of views you guys have on him.
    I have a lot of time for the guy.

Squeezed the maximum he could out of the ability he had.

If the dees midfield wasn't as good as it was at the time Coyne and Wright wouldn't have been quite as effective.

Towering header to win derby at tannadice, ragdolling Rangers a few times almost single handedly, the first half of the semi at tynecastle when our midfield went to war v the dabs, destroying someone at the dugouts at ibrox in the Scottish cup with a no prisoners tackle all great memories.

Think it was Brian laudrup who described him as the beating heart of the Rangers team he played in.......that's some compliment.

£50k or so from Hamilton......money well spent.

As a man of a certain age I can’t get my head round this hatred of bomber what a player he was for us and I’ve not seen many better in dark blue since, the whole being a Rangers man is what seemed to upset some folk but I would guess like every other team very few players playing/played for us support us but to me I think a lot of it comes from the fall out with big Rab again probably our best keeper in the last 30/40 years (some could maybe argue for speroni) but Rab was very popular around dens and with the fans so just my opinion but I think this had bomber on the back foot with a lot of folk and he would never get them back onside but I’ll certainly never have a bad word to say against the man

I thought he was a great player at Dens and also that he did an awful lot better than some of our other managers.

I am not a Dundee FC shareholder but I remember a shareholders Q @ A meeting was taking place in Dens Park when someone in the Andy Penman Lounge noticed that the appointment of John Brown as the new Dundee manager was announced on SKY Sports news.
    News travelled quickly to the shareholders meeting in an adjoining lounge and there was a rumpus.
    It was reported that Chief Executive Scot Gardiner who was planning to introduce John Brown as the next Dundee manager to the people at the shareholders meeting panicked and locked both John Brown and himself in the board room to take refuge. At they could have a drink in there to soothe their nerves.
    Scot Gardiner and John Brown ‘escaped’ from Dens Park to travel to watch a game at McDiarmid Park.
    Some people think that John Brown was a good manager at Dens but in my opinion the team was at the top of the Championship in spite of him as manager not because of him.
    It is more than a passing coincidence that Scot Gardiner previous worked in the Commercial Department at Ibrox.
    If John Brown is such a good manger why has he not managed another professional football Club in Scotland or England.
    Finally.
    I remember that after the announcement of John Brown as manager of Dundee FC the Official Forum on the club website went into meltdown. Later Scot Gardiner asked Tayside Police to invest abusive posts about him on another Dundee forum.
    Nothing more was heard about Scot Gardiner’s complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I am not a Dundee FC shareholder but I remember a shareholders Q @ A meeting was taking place in Dens Park when someone in the Andy Penman Lounge noticed that the appointment of John Brown as the new Dundee manager was announced on SKY Sports news.
    News travelled quickly to the shareholders meeting in an adjoining lounge and there was a rumpus.
    It was reported that Chief Executive Scot Gardiner who was planning to introduce John Brown as the next Dundee manager to the people at the shareholders meeting panicked and locked both John Brown and himself in the board room to take refuge. At they could have a drink in there to soothe their nerves.
    Scot Gardiner and John Brown ‘escaped’ from Dens Park to travel to watch a game at McDiarmid Park.
    Some people think that John Brown was a good manager at Dens but in my opinion the team was at the top of the Championship in spite of him as manager not because of him.
    It is more than a passing coincidence that Scot Gardiner previous worked in the Commercial Department at Ibrox.
    If John Brown is such a good manger why has he not managed another professional football Club in Scotland or England.
    Finally.
    I remember that after the announcement of John Brown as manager of Dundee FC the Official Forum on the club website went into meltdown. Later Scot Gardiner asked Tayside Police to invest abusive posts about him on another Dundee forum.
    Nothing more was heard about Scot Gardiner’s complaint.
    It was not a shareholders meeting it was a fans meeting organised by Dee 4 life. It was on a Saturday afternoon. Dundee were playing Celtic away the next day. I was at the meeting and it was not a shareholders meeting.

Fans at the meeting already knew of Bombers appointment before it was announced on Sky Sports as the players were at the ground having already been introduced to Bomber in the dressing room beforehand and Big Rab D had spoken to several fans and let them know who the new gaffer was.

I think the plan was to introduce Bomber to the fans, but that was scrapped due to the negative reaction among the fans at the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by thegen65 View Post
    It was not a shareholders meeting it was a fans meeting organised by Dee 4 life. It was on a Saturday afternoon. Dundee were playing Celtic away the next day. I was at the meeting and it was not a shareholders meeting.

Fans at the meeting already knew of Bombers appointment before it was announced on Sky Sports as the players were at the ground having already been introduced to Bomber in the dressing room beforehand and Big Rab D had spoken to several fans and let them know who the new gaffer was.

I think the plan was to introduce Bomber to the fans, but that was scrapped due to the negative reaction among the fans at the meeting.
    Thank you for your information.
    I was not aware that it was a fans meeting.
    Scot Gardiner should have addressed the meeting and told the fans about the appointment rather than let them find out second hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)