+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: O/T Capon, Goose or Turkey?

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Nez View Post
    Not sure of the name CAM but it wasn't near a cricket ground.
    I've most likely got it wrong by calling the place Upper Haugh. I'm talking about the area just up the road from Greasbrough, going towards Wentworth. The place was on the right hand side as you reached the top of the hill and went round a couple of bends in the road. I always called that area Upper Haugh, perhaps I've been calling it wrong all these years, ha-ha.
    Lol's mate is right, that's Nether Haugh Nez. Once you are through Nether Haugh you go up a pig of a hill (on a bike it is) and at the top of the hill you are in Higher Stubbin before you come across The Marquis. Turn right just after there and you head down to Upper Haugh CC.

All those fields you mention Brin down to Warren Vale were the playgrounds of my youth as we lived backing onto them. Will be a shame to see them go but I guess everywhere needs a Starbucks

Quote Originally Posted by Lol'smate View Post
    As you go towards Wentworth (up the Whins as we called the road) from Greasbrough the first village you come to is Nether Haugh. Graysons had a farm there on the right hand side and they definitely sold turkeys, along with all sorts of other farm produce. I think they still have a farm shop. We used to get our eggs, potatoes and veg from there. I used to go from Greasbrough on my bike to collect our order. It was a long way up but a great ride back down. Going further on past the left turn to Wentworth the Barnsley road continues up to Upper Haugh and The Marquis pub which stands on the site of the old Stubbin colliery. Can't remember a farm there. Wow, this is taking me back a few years.

Oh yes, that's the one where I used to take my dad for our Christmas capon. Thank you Lol'smate for the information. So that is Nether Haugh then where Grayson's farm is/was. Great memories ......

With the building of the new houses the pit shaft marker seems to have mysteriously disappeared

Perhaps they didn’t want the house buyers to know

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    With the building of the new houses the pit shaft marker seems to have mysteriously disappeared

Perhaps they didn’t want the house buyers to know
    Similar to Treeton and the housing estate there. You wouldn't think there use to be a pit yard and the shafts only slightly to the rear where the houses currently are.

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    I never understood why folks don't like sprouts or why they need to dress em up with bacon etc. Xmas day is not complete without a good post xmas dinner trumpet voluntary. Mind you our lass would disagree...
    Because of the "brussels sprouts gene".

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...el-sprout-gene

Not quite sure what the capon situation is now. We used to rear 'em for the Christmas market years ago. Well, I suppose we reared cockerels which my Dad injected with some sort of pellet in the neck, a sort of chemical castration but I understand that practice might be banned in this country now. Suppose they were too tasty, unlike modern chicken which seems to taste of nothing.

Turkey cull in Northampton, bird flu ffs

I might have to forget about Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Turkey cull in Northampton, bird flu ffs

I might have to forget about Turkey
    ericsladfromkilnhurst has now he's back home.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Lol's mate is right, that's Nether Haugh Nez. Once you are through Nether Haugh you go up a pig of a hill (on a bike it is) and at the top of the hill you are in Higher Stubbin before you come across The Marquis. Turn right just after there and you head down to Upper Haugh CC.

All those fields you mention Brin down to Warren Vale were the playgrounds of my youth as we lived backing onto them. Will be a shame to see them go but I guess everywhere needs a Starbucks
    Just for reference for you young ens, there used to be two more farms in Upper Haugh Shaws and Hobsons ! They have built Manor Farm Estate on top of them so to speak, that’s why it’s called Manor Farm.
    Haugh Rd used to stop at Shaws farm and go right down the road past Hobsons carrying on past my old school with the church next door and then carry on past Tag Row , cricket ground before emerging at Reg Ellis farm.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    Just for reference for you young ens, there used to be two more farms in Upper Haugh Shaws and Hobsons ! They have built Manor Farm Estate on top of them so to speak, that’s why it’s called Manor Farm.
    Haugh Rd used to stop at Shaws farm and go right down the road past Hobsons carrying on past my old school with the church next door and then carry on past Tag Row , cricket ground before emerging at Reg Ellis farm.
    Like to hear the past history on Rotherham.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast