+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Capon, Goose or Turkey?

O/T Capon, Goose or Turkey?

Saw something on a website yesterday where the someone was asking if you could still buy Capons. Been absolutely years since I last tasted Capon. Low and behold just been shopping at Underwoods the butchers and what do I see for sale but Capons.

What's your favourite bird for the Xmas table? No smut please Roly keep it clean

Could even throw in pheasant or a leg of lamb if you want but, what will be the sliced meat in your household come Xmas day?

It’s mainly turkey and some other meat depending who/how many are here, this year it’s turkey only but there will be other meat on Boxing Day with any left over turkey

It’s likely to be the Bob Johnson diet

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=90RYtFXOA_I

Going just for beef & pork, not bothering with Turkey.
    One of my mates gave my family a capon at xmas during miners strike 84, he had allotment & had birds, so hand reared & fed on barley, best xmas bird we have tasted.

Pheasant for us with a small Pork joint.

Me and the Mrs were talking about it a few days ago. Just the 5 of us this year so was considered a full ribeye joint or a leg of lamb. If we go the lamb route then we never have any left for boxing day so would need a small topside and prob cook it crimbo eve and have hot roast beef sarnies and roast spuds cooked on goose fat.

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Me and the Mrs were talking about it a few days ago. Just the 5 of us this year so was considered a full ribeye joint or a leg of lamb. If we go the lamb route then we never have any left for boxing day so would need a small topside and prob cook it crimbo eve and have hot roast beef sarnies and roast spuds cooked on goose fat.
    Expensive stuff is lamb nowadays

Bernard Matthew's Turkey Roast. Bootiful! But thinking about it what the hell were in those things? The chicken nuggets of the roast meat world?

To win your business, Turkeys up to 15lb are usually free here if you spend more than a certain amount in the supermarket on a given week so we'll probably end up with one along with a nice cut of beef and probably a ham too. Only 2 or maybe 3 of us so the dog will be happy for weeks.

Talking food (and not wanting to use this site like Tinder ), anyone know if Crash is OK as he's not been seen for months?
    Last edited by CAMiller; 27-11-2020 at 04:14 PM.

More than likely traditional Turkey although we left it too late to order a fresh one.
    Will probably have a large Beef or Pork.......
    And plenty of sprouts. ( Fresh ones not frozen ).

We just have turkey breasts these days. Doing the whole bird is too much of a faff and we get tired of it way before the remains start to look messy and inedible.

Had excellent smoked turkey for Thanksgiving yesterday that my son in law did on his very fancy barbecue. That was excellent but twice a year is more than enough.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast