+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Wealdstone 27.11.20 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by optipez View Post
    The difference of just changing JOB for RR was huge. Not blaming O'Brien but a midfield of Doyle Reeves and Jimbo is just too defensive. It changed us from a defensive three to two holders and RR behind the strikers.
    Never seen a player improve so much, so quickly as Sam. He must have worked like a dog this summer to gain so much stamina and core strength so quickly.
    Knowles looks not dissimilar to Dennis in his finishing. Knowles 2, Enzio 3, RR 2, Sam 2, Roberts 1, Wootton 5 I think. That's not bad for a team that's had a stop start season after 9 played.
    No negatives tonight, the worst you could say is that we could have scored five or six.
    More good points Optipez, agree with every word. I like what I see from RR to date, used correctly he could be very effective for Notts.

As for Sam, it's basically 2 months to the day that he was compared unfavourably to the likes of Fireman Sam and Alesha Dixon He was instantly ridiculed on here for being awful, not being a footballer based purely on his performances in a couple of pre season games. His first for a new club and in England don't forget. He'd hardly got his kit dirty and before the season actually started we had a thread saying he needed to go and many agreed.

He had signed less than one month before.

Now he's young, he's an overseas player not used to English football so consistency in his performances is unlikely and understandable but as Optipez rightly highlighted his improvement has been very impressive. He's gone from a waste of a squad number to having a big impact on games whether starting or off the bench in 2 months.

It's very early days but long may it continue. Maybe Football Radar works, maybe....

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    More good points Optipez, agree with every word. I like what I see from RR to date, used correctly he could be very effective for Notts.

As for Sam, it's basically 2 months to the day that he was compared unfavourably to the likes of Fireman Sam and Alesha Dixon He was instantly ridiculed on here for being awful, not being a footballer based purely on his performances in a couple of pre season games. His first for a new club and in England don't forget. He'd hardly got his kit dirty and before the season actually started we had a thread saying he needed to go and many agreed.

Now he's young, he's an overseas player not used to English football so consistency in his performances is unlikely and understandable but as Optipez rightly highlighted his improvement has been very impressive. He's gone from a waste of a squad number to having a big impact on games whether starting or off the bench in 2 months.

It's very early days but long may it continue. Maybe Football Radar works, maybe....
    It’s funny how we never seem to factor in events off the pitch when we talk about football. Anyone moving to a new country will need time to adjust, but especially when they haven’t played in 6 months and we’re in the middle of a pandemic - and we don’t have a reserve team to help build up match fitness). I’m delighted that Eli is starting to show the qualities that made NA sign him - and making those of us who doubted him eat our words.

If we can keeping getting Eli and Ruben sharper (while RR was excellent in the first half last night, he did fade somewhat in the second half - which is a bit of a pattern), we’re going to need to put them on longer term deals too.

Big test at D&R next week, where we were dire last season. Can we take the attacking approach we clearly have at home and dominate sides, without leaving ourselves vulnerable at the back? Also, there could be 2,000 home fans there (unlikely, given Dagenham’s average crowd, but maybe some neutrals will fancy a game too). *

* Just seen the post that there probably won’t be fans at the D&R game now.
    Last edited by nw6pie; 28-11-2020 at 08:30 AM.

I posted a coupe of weeks ago after a match that Reuben didn't look the real deal (I think I likened him to Noor Husin) and that Big Sam didn't look like a footballer either. Well, I eat my words... last night they did. Sam was a such a handful, the Wealdstone defence didn't know how to play him. And great to see Reuben drive forward at every opportunity. They had a couple of near misses, - particularly the one seconds before half time, but lets face it this was men against boys, we could have scored 6 or 7.

Enjoyed the stream as well. Good commentary - all commentary, not 60% commentary 40% waffle.

These are strange times to be commenting on the team, not just the pandemic but the relegation and the agonising experience of last season as well. For the first time in years our standard is not being in with a chance but can we dominate? That's how I'm looking at it anyway...

On the positive side, the attacking players we have and the way Ardley has come around to using them looks really promising - Roberts and Thomas, even Knowles, can slip into this system as the fixtures mount up. We have enough in goal and central defence too...

The main concern for me is the full-back play - I'm not convinced by any of Brindley, McCrory, DKE or Chicksen. If the standard was competing then fine, but if we want top spot this area might be leaving us a bit short.
    Last night Brindley had loads of opportunity with space ahead to drive forward but looked really reluctant to do it. DKE, on whatever side he plays, just isn't a good enough footballer to chip in with goals and assists...(the commentator blamed someone for a overhit pass, but DKE should have taken that ball and been clean through)

So many positives from last night, including much improved performance from Turner, but number one for me is Rodrigues - he's going to give NL defences nightmares from that no. 10 position (especially when he's thumping in his shots with more confidence).

Exactly, some so called fans didn't give the guy a chance.

I was a critic of big Sam as well.
    He looked like one of those young players that was great at juggling the ball and back flicks in the local park, but could not actually play 11 a side football with/against professional players.
    Let's hope we saw the real ES last night and he can push for a starting place every game.
    I want all Notts players to do well regardless of what type of player they are, skillful, hard worker, a ratter etc.
    I was very disappointed with Wealdstone - a 4th placed club. Maybe it was an off night or that Notts were too good for them.
    Will the real Notts and ES please step forward - and stay there.

It's only been three games but he scored on his debut, had a big positive impact at Chesterfield when he came on with Rodrigues and then puts in arguably a MOTM last night and scores a fine goal.

Maybe that's the real ES, can't apply much weight on limited minutes in pre season friendlies. He was written off before he even had a chance, there is a thread on here to prove it.

If he does indeed prove to be a real find or even a useful addition then it's very welcome cos there are concerns that we won't score enough this season without Dennis

It's going to be extremely tough to repeat such a complete comfortable professional and impressive performance on a week in week out basis.
    Yeah we might have to play teams who train full time, what then?

Jesus Laddo could you manage expectations any more?

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    These are strange times to be commenting on the team, not just the pandemic but the relegation and the agonising experience of last season as well. For the first time in years our standard is not being in with a chance but can we dominate? That's how I'm looking at it anyway...

On the positive side, the attacking players we have and the way Ardley has come around to using them looks really promising - Roberts and Thomas, even Knowles, can slip into this system as the fixtures mount up. We have enough in goal and central defence too...

The main concern for me is the full-back play - I'm not convinced by any of Brindley, McCrory, DKE or Chicksen. If the standard was competing then fine, but if we want top spot this area might be leaving us a bit short.
    Last night Brindley had loads of opportunity with space ahead to drive forward but looked really reluctant to do it. DKE, on whatever side he plays, just isn't a good enough footballer to chip in with goals and assists...(the commentator blamed someone for a overhit pass, but DKE should have taken that ball and been clean through)

So many positives from last night, including much improved performance from Turner, but number one for me is Rodrigues - he's going to give NL defences nightmares from that no. 10 position (especially when he's thumping in his shots with more confidence).
    Spot on this.

The full back positions definitely need working on. DKE isn't really good enough, Bri dley is pretty average, McCrory is overweight and slow and Chicksen has had a below average start.

I'd also like to see us replace Thomas. Reeves looks more than adequate for this level, but Doyle needs replacing with somebody younger and more mobile. JOB needs to go.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast