+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Paisley dudes V AFC Match Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    So the club just breaks Employment Law, tears up an agreed contract, ignores the protection that hard-won freedom of contract allowed players after a century of exploitation, and gives a not-very-good fitba player grounds for indefensible legal action? Farage or Trump would commission statues of you boys.

Thatcher would be so proud of her grandchildren, but she's deid, and although giving death the odd roon-the-corner sideways glance at my age, I'm nae. Yet. Me 1 That **** 0.
    That is exactly the attitude our club has, we are too nice and worried about offending people which is why we have only won the league cup twice in the last 25 years.

Plenty of clubs tell players they need to move on even when they don’t want to,it’s part of being a football player.You aren’t wanted so you move on.

If the right move comes up for Cosgrove he won’t give a flying fvck whether or not we want him to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    If the right move comes up for Cosgrove he won’t give a flying fvck whether or not we want him to stay.
    Exactly what I said when it was first bought up, if these rumours of Newcastle are true they’ll offer us £500;000 at most and wait for him to cause a problem. Pretty sure the ones saying you can’t force him out we’re the ones criticising Ryan Fraser for not signing a contract extension with Bournemouth.

That is exactly the attitude our club has, we are too nice and worried about offending people which is why we have only won the league cup twice in the last 25 years.

Plenty of clubs tell players they need to move on even when they don’t want to,it’s part of being a football player.You aren’t wanted so you move on.

Both parties signed a contract. It can only be terminated by mutual consent, although I suspect that there will be clauses to protect both parties within it (eg breaches of club discipline, failure to honour agreed payments etc). The club could, of course, agree to terminate his contract and pay him his dues to do so, allowing him to sign a new contract with another club. That would mean no fee like, an odd and poor business decision if the market (Thatcherism, ken?) suggests that some suitor is offering to pay a seven-figure sum for a signed player.

Footballers now enjoy the same employment protection as other workers do. That is only civilised, right and proper. Didn’t a tasty crew ditch a statue of the slave owner Colston in Bristol docks of late? Isn’t there debate in process about the naming of streets in Glasgow in tribute to the slave traders? Isn’t Edinburgh all afizz with arguments on the wording of an explanatory plaque at the foot of Dundas’s statue, and the good citizens of Toronto considering how best to deal with the main Dundas thoroughfare?

Slavery’s over in the so-called civilised world, chum, although there would be no objection to its return in some areas of the Conservative Party. Footballers are employees of organisations, and are some of the last to be recognised as having such status and concomitant rights. They cannot be traded as commodities any more, nor can they have their trade restrained by clubs with whom they have contracts. If and when Cosgrove moves, he, Aberdeen FC, and any third party wishing to offer him a contract, will all have to agree.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Exactly what I said when it was first bought up, if these rumours of Newcastle are true they’ll offer us £500;000 at most and wait for him to cause a problem. Pretty sure the ones saying you can’t force him out we’re the ones criticising Ryan Fraser for not signing a contract extension with Bournemouth.
    Fraser’s contract was due to end, and he enacted his right not to extend it. Morally, not signing an extension to help out the employer who had given him his break, is ****ing poor, but not unlawful, the little capitalist ****er.

Both parties signed a contract. It can only be terminated by mutual consent, although I suspect that there will be clauses to protect both parties within it (eg breaches of club discipline, failure to honour agreed payments etc). The club could, of course, agree to terminate his contract and pay him his dues to do so, allowing him to sign a new contract with another club. That would mean no fee like, an odd and poor business decision if the market (Thatcherism, ken?) suggests that some suitor is offering to pay a seven-figure sum for a signed player.

Footballers now enjoy the same employment protection as other workers do. That is only civilised, right and proper. Didn’t a tasty crew ditch a statue of the slave owner Colston in Bristol docks of late? Isn’t there debate in process about the naming of streets in Glasgow in tribute to the slave traders? Isn’t Edinburgh all afizz with arguments on the wording of an explanatory plaque at the foot of Dundas’s statue, and the good citizens of Toronto considering how best to deal with the main Dundas thoroughfare?

Slavery’s over in the so-called civilised world, chum, although there would be no objection to its return in some areas of the Conservative Party. Footballers are employees of organisations, and are some of the last to be recognised as having such status and concomitant rights. They cannot be traded as commodities any more, nor can they have their trade restrained by clubs with whom they have contracts. If and when Cosgrove moves, he, Aberdeen FC, and any third party wishing to offer him a contract, will all have to agree.

Welcome to the 21st century.
    What are you going on about?

You really don’t think football players under contract are told to move on these days when they don’t want to?

Football players aren’t like you and I at all, if I’m doing at sh1t job on a regular basis at my work I get fired, they don’t.

Fraser’s contract was due to end, and he enacted his right not to extend it. Morally, not signing an extension to help out the employer who had given him his break, is ****ing poor, but not unlawful, the little capitalist ****er.
    Maybe the employer was not willing to pay Ryan what he believed he was worth. You do know it’s the 21st century workers can price their labour as they see fit.

What are you going on about?
    That’ll be employment rights. Look it up.

You really don’t think football players under contract are told to move on these days when they don’t want to?
    Perhaps, but it won’t be without their club, with which they have a contract, honouring that contract eg by paying out their contract or an agreed severance sum suitable to both player and club. Bryson, Gleeson etc are examples.

Football players aren’t like you and I at all, if I’m doing at sh1t job on a regular basis at my work I get fired, they don’t.
    I’m afraid they are in principle. If players don’t perform well, they can be demoted out of (say) the first team squad, in which case the bonus structure for the first team squad likely won’t be available to them. Both parties may then agree to the player going on the transfer list, and may agree to a transfer to another club, terminating the existing contract. The club may offer that player an inducement to leave the club on a free transfer (Bryson).

I think the difference is that footballers sign closed contracts, ie for a specific period eg three years. In my 41 years of employment, I never had a fixed-term contract, and my experience is that that would have been unusual. I was obliged to heed contractual notice periods, however, and was never fortunate enough to have an employer say to me “Just **** off then, and we’ll pay you for your notice period”. I was ever the model employee, of course.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 06-12-2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: As influential as Bosman

Quote Originally Posted by Basingstokered View Post
    Maybe the employer was not willing to pay Ryan what he believed he was worth. You do know it’s the 21st century workers can price their labour as they see fit.
    Yes. Why yes I do. Thanks though.

That’ll be employment rights. Look it up.

Perhaps, but it won’t be without their club, with which they have a contract, honouringnthat contract eg by paying out their contract or an agreed severance sum suitable to both player and club. Bryson, Gleeson etc are examples.

I’m afraid they are in principle. If players don’t perform well, they can be demoted out of (say) the first team squad, in which case the bonus structure for the first team squad likely won’t be available to them. Both parties may then agree to the player going on the transfer list, and may agree to a transfer to another club, terminating the existing contract. The club may offer that player an inducement to leave the club on a free transfer (Bryson).

I think the difference is that footballers sign closed contracts, ie for a specific period eg three years. In my 41 years of employment, I never had a fixed-term contract, and my experience is that that would have been unusual. I was obliged to heed contractual notice periods, however, and was never fortunate enough to have an employer say to me “Just **** off then, and we’ll pay you for your notice period”. I was ever the model employee, of course.
    You were wittering on about slavery a minute ago now you are talking about players getting demoted if they don’t perform which stops them getting bonuses.

If I am doing a sh1t job at my work on a regular basis I won’t be getting demoted and my manager certainly won’t get fired for it.

Sorry. This discussion is now closed.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast