+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Thommo

I say good work by the BBC on this one.

Look, I know it must be difficult for some of the older geezers on this site to take a look at themselves, their language, their upbringing and habits dating back many, many decades, I get that and I sympathise.

I'm not too far away from that generation myself. But I have three young daughters and if we arrive at a place where they can follow football and gender isn't used as a casual derogative reference then we'll be in a better place as a community, and society. It's not hard for those coming though and it's progress of a kind, that's for sure. It's happening, it's a good thing and there's no going back.

So don't worry, be happy, and 'Tommo' will be back to impart his considerable wisdom to the good folk of Lincolnshire in 2021

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I say good work by the BBC on this one.

Look, I know it must be difficult for some of the older geezers on this site to take a look at themselves, their language, their upbringing and habits dating back many, many decades, I get that and I sympathise.

I'm not too far away from that generation myself. But I have three young daughters and if we arrive at a place where they can follow football and gender isn't used as a casual derogative reference then we'll be in a better place as a community, and society. It's not hard for those coming though and it's progress of a kind, that's for sure. It's happening, it's a good thing and there's no going back.

So don't worry, be happy, and 'Tommo' will be back to impart his considerable wisdom to the good folk of Lincolnshire in 2021
    Agree with all of that. We're moving on, and some people resist change or are blind to the implication of language choice. Casual ***ism is no less bad than casual racism.

Interesting that the headline didn't match the full facts. I don't imagine for one second that this was the only time he's been repeatedly ***ist as a pundit either.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    But I have three young daughters and if we arrive at a place where they can follow football and gender isn't used as a casual derogative reference then we'll be in a better place as a community, and society. It's not hard for those coming though and it's progress of a kind, that's for sure. It's happening, it's a good thing and there's no going back.
    As someone in similar circumstances but a bit older than you, I fully understand what you are saying. I have three daughters and a granddaughter, and really welcome this progress. My concern is that some want to see an overnight change in attitudes, and that just isn't going to happen. When extreme examples get rammed down people's throats it can have the opposite effect. An example I mean is that a basically decent principle like political correctness has become a dirty word because extremes have been used to belittle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    As someone in similar circumstances but a bit older than you, I fully understand what you are saying. I have three daughters and a granddaughter, and really welcome this progress. My concern is that some want to see an overnight change in attitudes, and that just isn't going to happen. When extreme examples get rammed down people's throats it can have the opposite effect. An example I mean is that a basically decent principle like political correctness has become a dirty word because extremes have been used to belittle it.
    Spot on.

... what a miserable bunch of PC snow flakes some of you are ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    Neigh. Not really.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    If you understood what I said in post #33, you would realise that I agree "PC snowflakes" are a big part of the problem.

Not for the first time, you obviously didn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    And do YOU know that the word 'religion' could be considered offensive to certain atheists?
    That's a funny one too. I have friends who are devout Christians and they used to call me an Atheist until I asked them if they also had a name for someone who didn't believe in Santa Claus. We're still friends though 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I'm not sure I feel that I want to take moral guidance from a generation that spawns Big Brother, Love Island, trolls others on the internet, is happier with blind dating someone they've met on the internet than someone who's tried to chat them up on the bus, rave around town on a Friday night having fueled themselves up on cheap cider wearing barely enough to cover themselves and want to party in the midst of a Covid lockdown.

But if they feel that handbags and skirts are the biggest worries they have then they are in for a big shock when the real world hits them.

Nonetheless our time has been and gone and I can only sit back, pray and attempt not to upset the sensitivities of your grandkids who I'm sure are paragons of common sense as are mine (I hope).

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    And do YOU know that the word 'religion' could be considered offensive to certain atheists?
    Are they the ones who are always trying to ram their atheism down my throat? ;-)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast