+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Papering over the cracks

Well, hopefully we can go on a long winning run. Everything is possible. Ardley has failed as our manager - elephant in room time, relegation, lost play off final, lost cup semi final, all in 12 months. Serial under-performer despite best resources in League. Clearly Notts owners are not sackers, or he would be gone. So, let's hope he can up his game, deliver consistency rather than his typical win two, lose two.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    After 9 games we have the same record (W5 D1 L3) as McParland began the Munto season with.
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Interesting stat
    But I'm not sure what this is meant to mean though?
    Here's another interesting stat - on four occasions we've won promotion with a worse start to the season than this one. (Not sure what that's supposed to mean, either).

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Here's another interesting stat - on four occasions we've won promotion with a worse start to the season than this one. (Not sure what that's supposed to mean, either).
    Yes promotion in a league, where 2 0r 3 teams go up automatically, in the national league its only the champions that go up automatically

Quote Originally Posted by ForeignLegion View Post
    Absolutely no surprise that you echo those sentiments. Another ruined weekend for you.
    On the contary, a good weekend with a deserved win,i give Ardley credit where its due, a game we actually dominated and controlled, as i would expect when we have so much more resources , and players available. Shows promise , but the big question is, can he do it on a regular basis, instead of win 3, lose 2, situation.
    Barring Barrow last season, we normally did well against clubs higher in the table last season in the league , same this year, wins against Sutton and Wealdstone, it was the poorer teams that we struggled against, same this year, Dover, Aldershot etc

I do not give Ardley credit when we are dire for the most part of a match, then get a win he hardly deserves, not due to our brilliance, but due to chesterfield falling apart at the end, which i believe they had done just that in the previous 3 or 4 games

We played poorly against Chesterfield no doubt about it but you could easily argue the manager's substitutions with half and hour to go with the scores level changed and won us the game.

Surely that deserves some credit?

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    On the contary, a good weekend with a deserved win,i give Ardley credit where its due, a game we actually dominated and controlled, as i would expect when we have so much more resources , and players available. Shows promise , but the big question is, can he do it on a regular basis, instead of win 3, lose 2, situation.
    Barring Barrow last season, we normally did well against clubs higher in the table last season in the league , same this year, wins against Sutton and Wealdstone, it was the poorer teams that we struggled against, same this year, Dover, Aldershot etc

I do not give Ardley credit when we are dire for the most part of a match, then get a win he hardly deserves, not due to our brilliance, but due to chesterfield falling apart at the end, which i believe they had done just that in the previous 3 or 4 games
    Every silver lining has a cloud!

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    However, if we continue to play direct, attacking football like we did last night (particularly in the first half) then I can have no complaints. Hopefully this is a sign that he is learning and has changed his tactics.
    This.

The most valuable commodity for Notts County after so many years of turbulence is stability but it cannot be an unconditional aim. Any manager in charge of a club of our size at this level needs to get results, but by far the best outcome for all concerned is for Ardley to learn from recent defeats, adapt the style of the team to address the flaws, and reap rewards like we did against Wealdstone. If the manager shows an ability to change, then there shouldn't be any need to change the manager. If we're back in League Two and Neal Ardley's still in charge in another two years' time, that's fine by me.

Yup agree with Jackal2 again , however his biggest problem is that this should be his last chance to get promoted. I don't think he should get another season after this#noexcuses.

But he should definitely be given this season.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Yup agree with Jackal2 again , however his biggest problem is that this should be his last chance to get promoted. I don't think he should get another season after this#noexcuses.

But he should definitely be given this season.
    I'm happy to leave that decision to the owners. Nobody has a greater stake in Notts County's success than they do, and they've done a great deal for the club already, so whether they want Ardley to continue or decide a change is necessary, I'm happy to back their judgement. They seem to be very solid, rational, reliable people based on the evidence to date, not to mention the way they've kept the club going through the COVID crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'm happy to leave that decision to the owners. Nobody has a greater stake in Notts County's success than they do, and they've done a great deal for the club already, so whether they want Ardley to continue or decide a change is necessary, I'm happy to back their judgement. They seem to be very solid, rational, reliable people based on the evidence to date, not to mention the way they've kept the club going through the COVID crisis.
    I hate to say , but i do not think Promotion is a deal breaker for the owners, even if we do not go up we could well see Ardley remain in his position

Reason they brought the club as a National League club, so they are evens if we remain at this level, and they may consider it ok , as long as we are competitive and have a chance of promotion
    If Ardley does get us promoted, the owners benefit massively, because the club will then be a league club, putting its value up to considerably more than they paid for the club when they took over

The only way Ardley will definately go, is if we flirt with relegation, or are relegated, a virtually an impossible outcome , given our huge resources and players compared to many clubs in this division

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast