+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Papering over the cracks

Papering over the cracks

These wins are just papering over the cracks. We can't have a run of winning because it keeps Ardley in his job for longer. Let's face it if he'd lost the last couple we could be saying goodbye to him now and look forward to next saviour (or is that victim?). Instead he'll be here till at least Christmas now, and another win or two might mean he'll be here over the transfer windows (from higher clubs that is) and then we'll be stuffed until Easter by which time the season will nearly be over and it'll be too late to get rid bearing in mind that the season won't have been a disaster and there won't be that much left to run on his contract.

Thankfully I'm not an owner and don't have to make the decision on a man who's barely got a 50% win ratio. They now a swallow, or two, does not make a summer - or maybe that phrase doesn't exist in Scandinavia.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    These wins are just papering over the cracks. We can't have a run of winning because it keeps Ardley in his job for longer. Let's face it if he'd lost the last couple we could be saying goodbye to him now and look forward to next saviour (or is that victim?). Instead he'll be here till at least Christmas now, and another win or two might mean he'll be here over the transfer windows (from higher clubs that is) and then we'll be stuffed until Easter by which time the season will nearly be over and it'll be too late to get rid bearing in mind that the season won't have been a disaster and there won't be that much left to run on his contract.

Thankfully I'm not an owner and don't have to make the decision on a man who's barely got a 50% win ratio. They now a swallow, or two, does not make a summer - or maybe that phrase doesn't exist in Scandinavia.
    These winning runs eh.....disgusting...if we are not careful we might get promoted..COYP

Notts finest manger ever didnt have a 50% win ratio. I dont like him but I like it when we win. He did a good job last night. Our home form is fine and always has been. A few odd results but that happens. Its away from home we crumble for the most part. Its a mystery why. Later last season we had solved it. Its back this season. We almost need 2 managers. Neal at home and someone else away.

I have been very critical of Ardley and it will take a lot for me to change my mind. However, if we continue to play direct, attacking football like we did last night (particularly in the first half) then I can have no complaints. Hopefully this is a sign that he is learning and has changed his tactics.

Was delighted to see O'Brien on the bench, I hope it stays that way. He just needs to drop Doyle now and play Wolfe.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Notts finest manger ever didnt have a 50% win ratio. I dont like him but I like it when we win. He did a good job last night. Our home form is fine and always has been. A few odd results but that happens. Its away from home we crumble for the most part. Its a mystery why. Later last season we had solved it. Its back this season. We almost need 2 managers. Neal at home and someone else away.
    Curle?

I think the OP is on a wind-up, but....

I will be happier when we both play away from home in that style, and beat a decent/full time team anywhere. (I’m aware Sutton are probably pretty decent).

I must applaud, trolling at its finest#classicNCM

Damn you great performance and result damn you {shakes fist}

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    I have been very critical of Ardley and it will take a lot for me to change my mind. However, if we continue to play direct, attacking football like we did last night (particularly in the first half) then I can have no complaints. Hopefully this is a sign that he is learning and has changed his tactics.

Was delighted to see O'Brien on the bench, I hope it stays that way. He just needs to drop Doyle now and play Wolfe.
    Wouldn't it be great to see it all a bit more from the inside. Maybe his players are also learning and growing as a team. I don't want to put rose tinted glasses on, and he is not the man I'd chose to stand by me at The Alamo. But if it turns out that he and the owners form a long term partnership to bring stability, in a less challenging environment than the higher leagues, so that when we do go up it wasn't a fanciful accident, then the future could be bright.

The last few months have seen a fresher looking Ardley - as if the lockdowns have given him the break that he sought when AH got him. And it makes a change to see a team this season that has a number of names we knew from last season as I was losing track who played for Notts and who didn't. ok that means a couple of older men and again without being behind the scenes it is hard to judge. Ardley isn't a fool but is cautious, maybe too cautious at times. But as I've said before he seems to want to cross all the Ts and dot all the Is and that bodes well for a foundation as boring as it might be at times.

Curle?
    Interesting theory mate. Perhaps we can get Hughes back for just the home games as well.

No surprise i echo these sentiments, Ardley does just enough to keep his job, , different circumstances like a loss to stockport if the game had gone ahead, and the loss we deserved against chesterfield and he is gone,

Ardley shows promise as in last night but never keeps it going long enough , the hope for me being given that it seems like waiting a lifetime for Ardley to finally get it right , given he has been given more time than most managers , surely by the law of averages it has to come ??

I think we would have been no worse off with any other manager, possibly better off, in all off the 3 seasons Ardley has been here

Think we just got to accept, Ardley will be here to the end of the season, and hope he can get us promoted , for me its not likely, but not impossible

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast