+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motherwell throw two late goals and lose to St Johnstone

Motherwell throw two late goals and lose to St Johnstone

Motherwell's League Cup adventure ended at the first hurdle with a 2-1 loss to St Johnstone at Fir Park. - External Link

Sad

I am loathe to criticise a team I've supported for over 60 years but after today's debacle it's necessary. Firstly, can I get a ppv refund because I only saw one team try to play football? They were faster, fitter, more up for it, slicker....need I go on? We went ahead, against the run of play, with a well taken Watt goal and proceeded to gift them two goals through lack of commitment and concentration. Their main threats all came from O'Hallaron who left Lamie trailing the whole game ...when we actually stood close to him. He was free to run as he pleased all game. We won very, very few second or loose balls...they went as physical as they had to ....but we capitulated to easily. We looked jaded, lethargic and, worst of all, disinterested. Sad, sad, sad given other 'fancied' casualities who fell today. Great chance to progress blown away.

A very good summary seasideboy of a game that leaves me very frustrated. Like you I am a long time supporter (first visit to FP, 1961) and I do not like criticising players as long as they at least try and as long as they can show basic skill and endeavour. That was missing in chunks yesterday. I won't name individuals but the difference in closing down defenders who had the ball between our forwards and those of St Johnstone was very noticeable. As a result our efforts to move forward were disjointed and when we did get passes away that actually found a teammate, the basic lack of control time and again was appalling. The constant pass backs to our keeper or to a fellow defender were soul destroying to watch. Possession is great - but you have to do something constructive with it. O'Halloran showed how to use pace against a slower defender and our wingers/wide players should be shown a rerun video on a daily basis for the next two weeks. Saints had a game plan and executed it well. We did not appear to have a game plan other than tippy-tappy it at the back until forced to get rid of it quickly and hope one of our guys can then fashion something out of nothing. Outfought, outthought and outplayed.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)