+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hope Dane Murphy reads this message board

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Reight - answering yours and other comments.

Chaplin - I like him - fox in the box.
    However - we arnt playing that type of football.

No - I don’t react to results.
    As I said - if we had won to a far better team then I would accept that. But we didn’t.

And we didn’t because although the performance was good we didn’t convert the dominance into goals.
    When that happens - the opposition GAIN CONFIDENCE.

Yes - the group is an emerging young team - that is likely to be very strong next season.
    BUT ...... for a penny worth of tar that emerging young team could easily be knocking on the door of top 6.
    Penny worth of tar being that missing striker.
    Nudge it will take 5 or 6 seasons with some good sales and more importantly good recruitment to get anywhere near the top 6 of this league .

That's how long it's taken Brentford and they've recruited superbly and sold players for money we can only dream about .

This group in my opinion is capable of mid table maximum if they fulfill their potential but not much more .

Which to be fair considering the spend is pretty good .

It's a very very slow burn is this model as it was and still is for Brentford .

And who is that striker going to be Nudge ? Ivvry club wants a prolific Striker , we are way down the pecking order right now as to who we can get , a big lump it to Centre forward doesn't fit the system on Grove St , and i agree with that personally , a Jon Mackem type striker is needed , Victor may turn out to be the answer ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm not happy with the result Ethel but it was one of those games that can go against you in the championship , Forest were probably telling themselves the same thing last Saturday .

Performances like we gave down at Cardiff aren't acceptable to me and I'll call the players out .

Agree we do need to strengthen but I'm not going to write off some of our players just yet either .

Chaplin's not in great form but he did score 11 Championship goals last season in a poorer team stuck in the bottom 3 all season .

Thomas is one of those in my opinion who would benefit from a run of games , it's hard for a young kid when you know you are only the stand in and the confidence isn't there as a consequence and for me he's a confidence player .

In all the years I've watched us at this level only once has every player in that team ticked the box and that was 96/97 .
    Fair enough comment Animal. What gets to me though is that the weaknesses are glaring, we keep dropping points because of the same failings. This back 3 just dont give me confidence, theres a full back problem and the options up front are very limited.

However although the points tally is better than usual, as debated in other threads I also believe that the league has come to us rather than we have improved to join the league.

I just want us to be sustainable in this league and this season more than others, some investment would benefit us disproportionately than in other seasons. Our owners could do it but they would rather pyss about buying another French club. Its frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Fair enough comment Animal. What gets to me though is that the weaknesses are glaring, we keep dropping points because of the same failings. This back 3 just dont give me confidence, theres a full back problem and the options up front are very limited.

However although the points tally is better than usual, as debated in other threads I also believe that the league has come to us rather than we have improved to join the league.

I just want us to be sustainable in this league and this season more than others, some investment would benefit us disproportionately than in other seasons. Our owners could do it but they would rather pyss about buying another French club. Its frustrating!
    I've dismissed any investment from the owners coming in Ethel and we work within those parameters .

That has in effect led me to a more realistic view of what we can achieve and what we can't .

To go to the next level in the championship which would be to accumulate 60 plus points and even with the league coming towards us we need to be selling someone such as Styles for £10m which should in effect offer the club the opportunity to recruit further up the food chain .

The £3m striker and centre back for instance plus a quality midfield player .

This is exactly the territory Brentford manufactured for themselves .

This is also where we will find out how good the recruitment team really are here because that kind of spend has to come off because if it doesn't the whole model goes tyts up and you are back to recruiting in the bargain bucket we do today .

It's a slow slow burn is this Ethel in my opinion and there are no instant solutions when you are only spending money you first have to accumulate .

I'll give the owners their dues , they are one lucky set of bstrds because had we been relegated last season and let's face it we were lucky to the extreme this model would have died that night at Griffin Park , killed it stone dead in my opinion and set us back years with the effects of the pandemic too .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 28-11-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Yes we need certain positions strengthening but we can't go art and buy an Ivan Toney or an Adam Armstrong. Ironically they've both been on loan here but realistically they are the next step up in the striker department. Way art of our league price wise.

Chaplin laiked well at Derby Perky but has struggled to recapture last seasons form.

The injury to Ben Williams was a blow and we're short in the full back.

We need not fret. Wis be reight this season if we keep performing well and as Animal sez, it's a slow burner and steady progress.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Yes we need certain positions strengthening but we can't go art and buy an Ivan Toney or an Adam Armstrong. Ironically they've both been on loan here but realistically they are the next step up in the striker department. Way art of our league price wise.

Chaplin laiked well at Derby Perky but has struggled to recapture last seasons form.

We need not fret. Wis be reight this season if we keep performing well and as Animal sez, it's a slow burner and steady progress.
    Losing young Ben Williams was a big blow because I think under Val he'd be his cup of char .

The lads a reight good attitude and whilst he's much to learn I think he'd step up under Val .

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

Aye it's not bad when tha can sell a player for £30m and replace him with someone who cost £12m and still scores goals at the same rate .

Miles away from that kind of recruitment here , absolutely miles away .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Last week everything was tickety boo because we won 2-0 in a game we could easily have lost .

This week we probably played far better in my opinion and lost a game we should have got something out of and looking across both this board and bbs , the defence is shyte , we can't manage games , we don't score in the first half and the strikers are all shyte .

Tha couldn't mek it up .
    I saw it. We could have been up 3 or 4 at 40 minutes. First half, ( goal apart we were VERY Good. It’s a minor wobble. We can improve, and we have done so, immensely. Nowt to panic at, as you say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12