+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Barnsley become a Covid Vulture ???

Could Barnsley become a Covid Vulture ???

In light of the statement from Dane saying Barnsley will get through despite Covid but some Championship clubs won’t - and after watching Barnsley having 23 shots, 11 corners against Blackburn - but only managing to score only one goal - is it time for Barnsley to reverse the trend and pick off players from clubs that will be struggling through the financial impacts of Covid ???

Over the years us Barnsley fans have had to endure the misery of selling our best players to other clubs because Barnsley couldn’t afford to keep them.
    David Hirst to Wednesday and
    Brian Howard to Sheffield United were particularly painful.

Isn’t it time for Barnsley to pick up players now from clubs that are struggling.
    I think it is.
    And I’d have no qualms about it if we did.

If the Chien Gang can afford to pay Nancy - then they can add a bit of badly needed quality to Barnsley.
    As for paying Nancy, I don’t think she will cost that much .......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXQqYa0wrw
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 29-11-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post

If the Chien Gang can afford to pay Nancy - then they can add a bit of badly needed quality to Barnsley.

They haven't paid for Barnsley FC yet. Evvin to be tekken to Cooart to gerra penny art of 'em.

These owners wint part wi a penny Nudge. Sooner it sinks in the better. Unless we sell first we ain't buying anyone of note.

In light of the statement from Dane saying Barnsley will get through despite Covid but some Championship clubs won’t - and after watching Barnsley having 23 shots, 11 corners against Blackburn - but only managing to score only one goal - is it time for Barnsley to reverse the trend and pick off players from clubs that will be struggling through the financial impacts of Covid ???

Over the years us Barnsley fans have had to endure the misery of selling our best players to other clubs because Barnsley couldn’t afford to keep them.
    David Hirst to Wednesday and
    Brian Howard to Sheffield United were particularly painful.

Isn’t it time for Barnsley to pick up players now from clubs that are struggling.
    I think it is.
    And I’d have no qualms about it if we did.

As for paying Nancy, I don’t think she will cost that much .......

No , the model is fine for me personally .

Which isn't to say the model hasn't been badly mismanaged at various times or could do with some decent investment to protect our championship status and speed up the process .

The ownership aren't my cup of char either by any means .

Has I said the actual model in principle is fine by me .

Some lessons seemed to have been learned with the recruitment of some experienced players such as Sollbauer and James and we've started if tentatively to use the loan market .

As Pass says the quicker you accept the ownership won't be making any investment in to the model the easier it is to accept the disappointing results along the way .

At least there's a plan and a clear strategy whilst many of our rivals both locally and in the championship continue to drift along aimlessly .

How much money has been thrown at Derby County , Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday ? and yet we sit comfortably above them in the table .

Even Wilder doesn't appear to be very good when he's a bob or two to spend and more suited to bringing players on from the lower leagues .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    No , the model is fine for me personally .

Which isn't to say the model hasn't been badly mismanaged at various times or could do with some decent investment to protect our championship status and speed up the process .

The ownership aren't my cup of char either by any means .

Has I said the actual model in principle is fine by me .

Some lessons seemed to have been learned with the recruitment of some experienced players such as Sollbauer and James and we've started if tentatively to use the loan market .

As Pass says the quicker you accept the ownership won't be making any investment in to the model the easier it is to accept the disappointing results along the way .

At least there's a plan and a clear strategy whilst many of our rivals both locally and in the championship continue to drift along aimlessly .

How much money has been thrown at Derby County , Nottingham Forest and Sheffield Wednesday ? and yet we sit comfortably above them in the table .

Even Wilder doesn't appear to be very good when he's a bob or two to spend and more suited to bringing players on from the lower leagues .
    Tongue in cheek my original post - but it has a serious side to it.
    I never said go mad with the spending - BUT some clubs may now be willing to off load a couple of quality strikers to balance the books.
    If a bargain is going to be made - then there’s a chance it could be January 2021.
    BTW - I also believe in the long term strategy - but I also believe in these owners - and think in the next 2 years they will surprise a few at Barnsley.

I agree with Animal.
    “debt free, with owners who won’t spend, is better than in debt, with owners who have gambled on high wages, and big transfer fees”
    The model had isn’t the best, but maybe the model will just see us survive, and maybe prosper.

Tongue in cheek my original post - but it has a serious side to it.
    I never said go mad with the spending - BUT some clubs may now be willing to off load a couple of quality strikers to balance the books.
    If a bargain is going to be made - then there’s a chance it could be January 2021.
    BTW - I also believe in the long term strategy - but I also believe in these owners - and think in the next 2 years they will surprise a few at Barnsley.
    We won't actually be alone in wanting a top quality striker no longer affordable at his club will we .

There are no instant solutions with this model especially in the formative years and the amount of mistakes that have already been made .

The late Patrick Cryne's tenure was fully responsible for the last relegation from this level because they brought in too many young players in one window and this was repeated by the current owners last season and they were extremely fortunate to get away with it .

This model in reality is possibly 3 years behind where it should be because of those mistakes .

In my opinion this is now year one as a consequence when at last in the championship we find ourselves with a settled squad , a HC who demands the very best from his players and three assets in Styles , Walton and Brittain who could leave sometime in the near future for money this club's never received before .

Let's be clear about the ownership Nudge , they haven't added anything to the club what so ever and simply inherited a model already in existence .

They even managed to repeat the same mistakes Cryne did in the 2019 summer transfer window .

The only surprise these people will offer as far as I'm concerned is they don't feck up anymore than they already have done because they bring absolutely nothing to this party as far as I can see .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    We won't actually be alone in wanting a top quality striker no longer affordable at his club will we .

There are no instant solutions with this model especially in the formative years and the amount of mistakes that have already been made .

The late Patrick Cryne's tenure was fully responsible for the last relegation from this level because they brought in too many young players in one window and this was repeated by the current owners last season and they were extremely fortunate to get away with it .

This model in reality is possibly 3 years behind where it should be because of those mistakes .

In my opinion this is now year one as a consequence when at last in the championship we find ourselves with a settled squad , a HC who demands the very best from his players and three assets in Styles , Walton and Brittain who could leave sometime in the near future for money this club's never received before .

Let's be clear about the ownership Nudge , they haven't added anything to the club what so ever and simply inherited a model already in existence .

They even managed to repeat the same mistakes Cryne did in the 2019 summer transfer window .

The only surprise these people will offer as far as I'm concerned is they don't feck up anymore than they already have done because they bring absolutely nothing to this party as far as I can see .

Actually I think these owners have added quite a lot.
    If you watch Coventry and Mark Robins it’s very reminiscent of the Patrick Cryne era when Robins was at Barnsley.
    Lots of loan players - lots of relatively older players.
    Every season at that time we more or less recruited a new team.
    This strategy did eventually change under Patrick and James in the final seasons of Patrick’s reign.

The club then started using the moneyball strategy and also recruited younger players on long contracts.
    This is one of the reasons these present owners were attracted to the club.
    And they have since built on what Patrick and James started.

Remember at the start of the 19/20 season they brought in a shed load of young players costing in the region of £500k to £1m.
    Some haven’t worked out such as Wilks.
    But most have - I’ve never known a time at Barnsley when we have had so many good young players on the books.

It’s very exciting times but at the same time I’m extremely frustrated with these owners.
    And the reason for the frustration is that there are glaringly obvious holes in the squad.
    One of the weak points is available wing backs.
    But the main weakness is strikers - especially strikers that can provide something different such as tall strikers that can hold the ball up.

Struber spoke about this.
    Murphy has spoken about this.
    Supporters speak about this.
    But nothing happened in the summer to rectify it.
    We are battering most teams that we play - only to find at the end of the day we have lost eg Reading, Blackburn.

An old saying that very much applies to the Barnsley owners at the present time ........... ‘spoiling the barrel for a penny-worth of tar’.
    I hope people at the club read this.
    But they will probably realise the problems anyway.

I think in this modern era Dane will definately read the message boards! I also think he couldn't care less what anyone thinks because they will conitnue to do what they want to do, when they want to do it.
    I'm certainly not going to repeat what has already been said a thousand times, but for me as soon as they depart the club and COVID has been dealt with, I shall start to attend games and buy merchandise again.

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    I think in this modern era Dane will definately read the message boards! I also think he couldn't care less what anyone thinks because they will conitnue to do what they want to do, when they want to do it.
    I'm certainly not going to repeat what has already been said a thousand times, but for me as soon as they depart the club and COVID has been dealt with, I shall start to attend games and buy merchandise again.
    Other than Covid - are you saying you’ve stopped going tut WELL ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast