+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drubbed At The Etihad Again.

Unfortunately Sinkov, I did waste yet another hour and half of my life on Saturday. It appeared in the first half that we were possibly setup to play 4-5-1 but once the game started it seemed like we had no plan at all. J-Rod was wasted tracking back to support Lowton. The first two goals were an individual mistake for the first and for the second it was as though we had switched off.
    Their third goal was something else, how I wish we had someone of De Bruyne calibre. Wishful thinking as I know it will never happen.
    In the second half we did try a bit harder and become more effective, especially when Peiter’s came on and J-Rod moved inside. As we were having no impact with Barnes & Wood against two rather ordinary centre back’s I would have like to see Vydra given a chance, not just the last 10 minutes.
    We need some pace & flair in January, but I am not holding my breath.

Vintage --as I pointed out, it is not just us who have struggled against City --no matter how we or any other club try to play against them.

You mention the cup game, however, do you realise that the players who played against us in that League Cup game had been purchased for a total value of £549.47 million, whereas the players we played against on Saturday had only cost £547.07 million plus whatever they paid for Garcia when they signed him as a 17 year old from Barcelona.

We are what we are and we have had a great manager who has worked a system which has got the best out of players for a number of seasons ---much to my surprise.
    He lost a much maligned player at the end of last season who, particularly with Jack Cork out as he is, would have still done the job he had done for a number of seasons, however, the powers that be would not offer a contract which was beneficial for his putting up with the abuse he was getting from certain fans --rather ironic how things have turned out.
    As sinkov said ----something's not reyt!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Vintage --as I pointed out, it is not just us who have struggled against City --no matter how we or any other club try to play against them.

You mention the cup game, however, do you realise that the players who played against us in that League Cup game had been purchased for a total value of £549.47 million, whereas the players we played against on Saturday had only cost £547.07 million plus whatever they paid for Garcia when they signed him as a 17 year old from Barcelona.

We are what we are and we have had a great manager who has worked a system which has got the best out of players for a number of seasons ---much to my surprise.
    He lost a much maligned player at the end of last season who, particularly with Jack Cork out as he is, would have still done the job he had done for a number of seasons, however, the powers that be would not offer a contract which was beneficial for his putting up with the abuse he was getting from certain fans --rather ironic how things have turned out.
    As sinkov said ----something's not reyt!
    Sub, as I said in post 10, the Manchester City second eleven are far better in quality of players that our first eleven.

My main problem on Saturday was we played possibly our best attacking player, J-Rod out of position. Our performance improved when Peiter’s replaced Wood and J-Rod moved more centrally. Neither Wood nor Barnes was getting the better of their centre backs so why was Vydra not given a chance before the last 10 minutes.

I always thought Hendrick was a good squad player, again playing mostly out of his preferred position, from the rumours I heard he was offered a new contract but chose not to sign for BFC for whatever reason.

Totally agree with you that our recruitment was exceptionally poor this summer and as indeed been do over several transfer windows. Our team is aging and we need to add some younger talent, buying players such as Dale Stephens is not what is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    It isn’t just that we have struggled Sub, it is the way we have struggled. The Manchester City team or even their second eleven are in the main better players than we have. However, we have failed season after season to show any real resistance to allowing them to keep coming forward. I was hoping in the cup match that we would at least try to get onto the front foot, but we had no change of tactics even when it was a one off game.
    He doesn’t do that Vintage because it’s a very difficult thing to do against a pep side , we don’t have the personnel to carry this off imo anyway.

We do a lot of last ditch defending at the best of times but against a possession team like city that would be a tough ask for 95mins.

My previous post on this also gives an explanation of why we can’t compete against and I honestly believe that the lack of pace issue is massive against City , because we all know they’re gifted footballer s even the full backs and centre backs and the deeper you sit and defend the more you invite quality players into your half of the field.

We imo anyway don’t have an outlet or way of beating City as we have no pace at either end of the field ( quickest - Taylor )and he had a shocker Saturday.

If I’m being honest I think we might do better kicking one or two
    Of them and seeing how that fairs , just can’t see us competing with present players and system.

You lads are going to be fed up of my opinion! But ......( I will take from army's post above this ,with respects to you army ! cheers )

....it’s a very difficult thing to do against a pep side , we don’t have the personnel to carry this off imo anyway. We do a lot of last ditch defending at the best of times but against a possession team like city that would be a tough ask for 95mins.

Yes ,city's team are good, and well disciplined,they know their style, tactics ,strategy etc,week after week. But we are all over the place !!
    We can not have a plan 'A' or plan 'B'.

I want to see first Burnley play 'basic football ',that is defenders should know to defend ,and here we see our weakest point! Taylor was some 15 -20 yds from Mahrez , and on two occasions.This gifted Marhrez two goals.
    The 1st goal, Benson was on the wrong side of De Bruyne,with his back facing him,so the Dutchman just sprinted away from him,Benson possibly hadn't a clue were De Bruyne was? Then Taylor was some 10-15 yds from Mahrez !!!That's not defending!!! That's a schoolboy team of 13 year old's. Do we have a training ,coaching staff? Me thinks not!

On the 2nd goal again Marhrez (after the throw in) walked away from Taylor(15 -20 yds) and scored the goal,and after beating Ben Mee. Taylor after that, looked at the linesman,bewildered, raised his arms as if to say ''Ref, offside?'' There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from a throw-in.

With the third goal,a Man city player??( about some 40 yds from his own goal)passed the ball to his team mate completely unmarked,in the middle of the pitch,who then passed to De Bruyne,who floated it over to Mendes -goal!!

So lets start playing 'basic football' every player should know each one his task. Then, lets play Man C. If they win 4-0. I will agree to all you say.

".....If I’m being honest I think we might do better kicking one or two
    Of them and seeing how that fairs , just can’t see us competing with present players and system."

Interesting concept army and something I had also been looking at.
    In our last two away games we committed 5 fouls at Brighton and just 4 against City.In our previous 3 away games we had committed 47 fouls, 17 each against Newcastle and West Brom and 13 against Leicester.

Conversely, at home we have been committing more each game 8 Southampton, 9 Spurs, 10 Chelsea and 13 against Palace --the only game that we have won!

Much of the football world is convinced that we are a team of 'cloggers' so perhaps we should prove them right. Frankly, I think that we are too nice and have only picked up 13 cautions so far this season and 4 of those were Phil Bardsley and Kevin Young and, as we know, we often pick up cautions for very little in some matches, whereas some player for other clubs get away with persistent offending without punishment ---Lookman for Fulham committed 5 fouls on Sunday, two of which were quite blatant ---nothing at all.

Balan --De Bruyne is Belgian --not Dutch and, technically speaking according to the Laws of the Game, the throw in that Walker took for the second goal was a foul throw because he was too far away from the touchline.
    Last edited by Supersub6; 02-12-2020 at 09:52 AM.

It's an ominous stat, that we're not kicking our opponents any more. It might indicate that the players don't care that much any more, they can't be bothered to give their opponents a whack.

It's called "Downward Spiral Syndrome" sinkov and once it gets hold you are f**cked.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    ".....If I’m being honest I think we might do better kicking one or two
    Of them and seeing how that fairs , just can’t see us competing with present players and system."

Interesting concept army and something I had also been looking at.
    In our last two away games we committed 5 fouls at Brighton and just 4 against City.In our previous 3 away games we had committed 47 fouls, 17 each against Newcastle and West Brom and 13 against Leicester.

Conversely, at home we have been committing more each game 8 Southampton, 9 Spurs, 10 Chelsea and 13 against Palace --the only game that we have won!

Much of the football world is convinced that we are a team of 'cloggers' so perhaps we should prove them right. Frankly, I think that we are too nice and have only picked up 13 cautions so far this season and 4 of those were Phil Bardsley and Kevin Young and, as we know, we often pick up cautions for very little in some matches, whereas some player for other clubs get away with persistent offending without punishment ---Lookman for Fulham committed 5 fouls on Sunday, two of which were quite blatant ---nothing at all.

Balan --De Bruyne is Belgian --not Dutch and, technically speaking according to the Laws of the Game, the throw in that Walker took for the second goal was a foul throw because he was too far away from the touchline.
    It’s just something that sticks out to me Sub , I appreciate they’re quick and let’s be honest are a better pedigree of players , however as Bt says if you don’t have ( let’s call it heart ) you won’t win anything.

The team needs a leader of men not a captain unless he can do both.

Barton was one , he would drag you up if you weren’t giving everything to the cause - I like Bardsley for this but feel he s getting to the end of his career.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)