+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swindon

Swindon

So Swindon tomorrow. Can we stop the slide? The problem is there for all to see: lack of goals. This, as mentioned elsewhere, is not connected with needing anything new in the striking department but is a consequence of a one-dimensional approach to playing the game. We are not really putting any pressure on opposition defences at the moment as everyone seems to know how to play against us. This is the point where the management can prove their ability: what can be done to overcome the opposition's attempts to close us down.
    Swindon will be buoyed by their win in their local derby so hopefully haven't completely reset for Tuesday night. However, at the moment, my pessimism levels are rather high and I just can't see where our goals can come from. I can't see us winning due to the points above. Hopefully, we can hang on for 1-1 draw.

Goodness knows what will be served up this evening. I will attempt to maintain my supreme optimism and keep my fingers crossed for a much needed win.

Facing reality it is way overdue for our management to finally admit that they are responsible for our recent dreadful displays. Will not be surprised if it is back to his favourite two in midfield.

Have to admit that that unless our performances improve I will be sorely tempted to watch a more exciting alternative. The most expensive procession in the world, FORMULA 1.

To raise a little perspective, we have played very well at times this season. Most of our games have been against those expected to be leading the division. However, it is recent games that have been exasperating, ever since opposition teams have figured out how to play us. The task is how to overcome this. It's much too early to be writing us off.

You are forgetting that our management are quite pleased with our recent performances. There lies the problem.

It's called psychology

Looks like somebody has been reading this thread. Kirk on the bench and Powell on the left. Luckour won't like the fact that Lowery is playing!
    I'm not sure how it works with Wintle and Murphy but we'll see.

Good to see Mandron and Beckles available again!

Can I have a job? I said Powell needed to play on the left. Interesting game - Sheridan didn't learn from the Wigan game (or indeed from our recent games or this site!) and allowed us loads of space. The worrying thing was that we didn't exploit it for the first 40 minutes. We continued to be ponderous and totally unadventurous with the ball. Meanwhile, while we were dithering about up front, Swindon went up the other end and scored 2 relatively easy goals.
    The Powell goal made all the difference. And, as well as Powell took the goal, how on earth did the Swindon defence allow him the time and space to score from the position he was in???
    Soon after that, the Alex started to use the space allowed and moved the ball forward quickly.
    The second half was a joke. We should have had 10!!
    Finney should have had 4, and that's just the easy chances! Lowery could have had a couple more, Mandron another.
    It was so good to see Mandron playing. Clearly, Porter is a goalscorer and still has something to give but the change when MM came on was immense. The number of times he won the ball back after an attack had broken down, was instrumental in keeping the pressure on Swindon's defence.
    So we called for goals and got 4 different scorers! The fact that it could have been 10 shouldn't detract from 3 easy points. However, I doubt many other teams will give us that much space.

Good result tonight- 4 different scorers and came back from a losing position. Thought we should have had more goals, but can't be greedy. Good to see Powell get on the score sheet- did well on the left, but seemed a bit overweight and slower than last season.
    Wintle had a much better game than lately especially in the attacking third.
    Overall a good performance after the last few games, albeit against a poor/weak Swindon side who were dead on their feet at the end.

There’s no excuse for Swindon being dead on their feet! They’ve had the same number of games as us this season.... and 30 minutes less football at the weekend - it comes down to poor fitness levels and/or poor management and is the same for both sides. We have looked lacklustre recently but never as poor as that. They have the worst defensive record in the division so it’s clearly not just a fitness issue. Let’s not forget that 3 of our Back 4 have started every L1 match thus far and maybe we have more options further forward than them.

They were pretty ponderous from the start but, for all his qualities, Ports is hardly the man to take advantage of that. He was fine when in possession but the ball has to find him, he will never get it back in the way Mandron has been doing al season. Murph, too, was OK but doesn’t move either himself or the ball fast enough and, by his high standards, his passing was a bit off last evening.

To concentrate on the positives, Powell’s best game for the Alex, Lancashire solid and reliable and, when the manager made his substitutions, the extra pace and speed of thought that Mandron and Finney brought left the opposition chasing shadows. Yes Finney should have had a few but i for one thought it one of his more convincing performances. Dale got better as the match wore on so Dave has a pleasant Kirk sized problem to accommodate!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast