+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Should of

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    My bad, as the youngsters say, I forgot about emojis. I'm sure laddo will be lolling at that.

Or is it loling?
    That's ok you are an OAP after all, it wasn't expected.

That uncertainty is another reason why you were asked/forced to go Part Time.

Right that's me officially done here, I very rarely ever bother to post on anything O/T but this was just too tempting. I had nothing to loose.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    That's ok you are an OAP after all, it wasn't expected.

That uncertainty is another reason why you were asked/forced to go Part Time.

Right that's me officially done here, I very rarely ever bother to post on anything O/T but this was just too tempting. I had nothing to loose.
    I agree with your last few words, those unfortunates who are at the bottom of the pile have nothing to lose.

They've already reached their level.

Unnecessary usage of the word literally. Seems to be students who are the main offenders.

They literally seem to put it into literally every sentence, sometimes literally multiple times.

The replacement of the words 'I said' or 'He/she said' with the words 'I was like' or 'He/she was like'

i.e. "So I was like 'Oh my God I was so embarrassed' and she was like 'That's enough already'!"

I could understand it more if the effect of using alternative terminology was to shorten the sentence, but in this case you're replacing one word with two, and the phrase 'was like' does not even make sense in the context it's being used.

Plus, the unnecessary addition of 'So' at the start of sentences: "So I was like..."

I blame the Americans.
    Last edited by jackal2; 01-12-2020 at 12:04 PM.

... and then there's the dropping of the letter 'T' replacing it with the glottal stop; which is a more difficult way of pronouncing words. Has it's origins in the Arabic language, I believe, but happy to be corrected. In the UK sometimes referred to as 'estuary english.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    The replacement of the words 'I said' or 'He/she said' with the words 'I was like' or 'He/she was like'

i.e. "So I was like 'Oh my God I was so embarrassed' and she was like 'That's enough already'!"

I could understand it more if the effect of using alternative terminology was to shorten the sentence, but in this case you're replacing one word with two, and the phrase 'was like' does not even make sense in the context it's being used.

Plus, the unnecessary addition of 'So' at the start of sentences: "So I was like..."

I blame the Americans.
    There seems to be another 'new' trend for sustaining the last syllable of words at the end of sentences. Not sure if I've described that very well but if you've also heard it you'll know what I mean.

Not to mention Priti Patel's inexplicable habit of missing the 'g' off words which end in 'ing' when she's quite well spoken overall.

On just about every show where the host talks to some contestant the answer to whatever question starts with "So..."

Annoying too is the habit of using the glottal stop in the middle of words instead of "T" as in "Bu--er, la-er, ma--er, Notts Coun-y", common amongst young muvvers waiting at the schoolgates, well perhaps not the Notts County bit but I've heard "No--inam" for our beloved city.

I blame "Eastenders".

I blame the Americans.
    Will I am says like almost after every sentence.

Is anyone else irritated by half-baked expressions such as "back in the day..." to mean "in times past" or "a long time ago"? It makes sense to say, for example, "Back in the days before electric lighting we had to use candles", but where's the sense in "Back in the day, we had to use candles"! Back in the night, maybe

It's similar to "the proof is in the pudding". People who say that clearly have no understanding of the words they utter, and have never heard or understood the saying "the proof of the pudding is in the eating", which admittedly requires an IQ in double figures to comprehend.

'Can I get' when people ordering in a coffee shop or similar.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast