+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: O/T:- Should of

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    No point, apparently their bent.

Or should that be there bent?
    Just because they are Gay, does not mean they cannot police any given situation!
    Especially a crime of grammar
    Homophobe..!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    It is a very interesting point and discussion.

If people start to spell things incorrectly, and it's left as 'we know what you mean', does it really matter, or is it an eroding of standards? I am thinking of life in general - certainly not meaning that people should be corrected on here. That does raise another point though - if incorrect spelling in some places is accepted, but then to write a CV or interview letter needs correct grammar and spelling, won't the edges be blurred?

Should children have to spell correctly (will always remember the Monday spelling test!), or does it really matter?
    Well yeah ok in a professional capacity yes, if your going for a job, or it is the press, but on a general chat site. For example on text messages people write all sorts of things, that is not the correct spelling, but is understood clearly ?

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well yeah ok in a professional capacity yes, if your going for a job, or it is the press, but on a general chat site. For example on text messages people write all sorts of things, that is not the correct spelling, but is understood clearly ?
    I think you have missed my point slightly.

If there is a different requirement for a professional situation and on social media for example, it will become more and more difficult. For many people, they will contribute more to social media than writing things which need to be correct. Isn't the natural outcome that the 'social media' language will become the norm and people will less and less know what the requirement is for say an employment application.

I can't really believe that those who always write 'of' will revert to 'have'. Not only is it becoming more normal in writing, it is verbally too.

Or is it just an example of language evolving?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567