+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Should of

O/T:- Should of

Well I always thought that "should of" was a spelling error but I was at the local shop when the self-service till refused to let me complete my order (probably because of the couple of £1.30 Spitfires I'd got and I clearly look underage). Anyway the manned (ladied?) checkout was clear so I went there rather than wait for assistance and said "The machine's playing up, I knew I should've come here first" and she said "Yes, you should of". I despair.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 01-12-2020 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Fixed Off Topic prefix

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Well I always thought that "should of" was a spelling error but I was at the local shop when the self-service till refused to let me complete my order (probably because of the couple of £1.30 Spitfires I'd got and I clearly look underage). Anyway the manned (ladied?) checkout was clear so I went there rather than wait for assistance and said "The machine's playing up, I knew I should've come here first" and she said "Yes, you should of". I despair.
    I'd have thought you would of heard that phrase before.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I'd have thought you would of heard that phrase before.
    He probably has, but everybody has their breaking point!

I'm just glad you didn't say "I'd of thought"!

Drives me mad too. Might as well say 'Should teapot' as it makes just as much sense. I'm surprised you didn't 'loose' your temper.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Drives me mad too. Might as well say 'Should teapot' as it makes just as much sense. I'm surprised you didn't 'loose' your temper.
    Putting 'loosing' a game is basically the right word but just spelt incorrectly. Would of, could of, should of is the wrong word completely, and as you say it makes no sense at all. The problem is that a lot of those who use it regularly don't even know why it's wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The problem is that a lot of those who use it regularly don't even know why it's wrong!
    Yes indeed.

Guilty as charged but getting better

But for me "loose" instead of "lose" is a far worse crime. In essence you are spelling a common 4 letter word wrong.

A word you see linked to football and Notts on a weekly basis on here. Dozens and dozens of people spelling it correctly which some read and then simply ignore. That's almost daily reminders that you spelling a four letter word wrong.

Not that any of this matters the needless NCM Spelling and Grammar Police mysteriously folded earlier this season. Rumours of bent officers in the ranks, other suggesting DavyFacts Haragate was the tipping point.

It's probably there school's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    But for me "loose" instead of "lose" is a far worse crime. In essence you are spelling a common 4 letter word wrong.

A word you see linked to football and Notts on a weekly basis on here. Dozens and dozens of people spelling it correctly which some read and then simply ignore. That's almost daily reminders that you spelling a four letter word wrong.
    'Have' is also a common four letter word.

I think spelling lose as loose is less of a crime than spelling have as of, on the basis that the word 'have' contains neither an 'o' or an 'f'.

I bet you said "Lol".

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast