+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Birmingham City v Barnsley Match Thoughts

I never get carried away Roma kid lol, but Im enjoying giving the lads a lot more credit this season instead of criticism.
    The dreaded January window is just round the corner of course, but lets try to enjoy this improved team while we can eh.

Doug O’Kane - Barnsley Chronicle.

WOODROW’S RARE 40-GOAL MILESTONE
    Cauley Woodrow’s equalising penalty was his 40th goal for the Reds in 92 appearances.
    The last two players to net 40 for the club were Sam Winnall and Bruce Dyer, with the latter departing in 2003 – so it is a real rarity to have such a consistent and prolific scorer.
    The goal was an early birthday present as Woodrow turned 26 on Wednesday and also his sixth of the season in all competitions, following on from 15 last season.
    Four of his five league goals this campaign have been penalties but that should not be held against him as he won two of them himself and dispatched all four expertly in high-pressure situations.
    Woodrow missed three chances in Birmingham which were not simple but you would usually back a striker of his quality to score at least one of them. Eventually he contributed to a win, as he so often does, by levelling then claiming his third assist of the season for the winner, the most of any Red by two this season.
    He is a high-class player who creates opportunities for himself and team-mates in every match.

STYLES HAS BARNSLEY’S LAST TWO WINNERS
    Barnsley’s last two victories, against Nottingham Forest and now Birmingham City, have been secured in the final ten minutes by an 18-yard strike from Callum Styles.
    That is a very good return for a 20-year-old playing out of position at left wing-back but we are begin to expect great things from Styles who is enjoying a specular breakthrough season.
    The winner in midweek at St Andrew’s was deflected into the bottom left corner so not quite as impressive as his strike into Forest’s top right corner. But the fact that he is adding goals to the assists and chances he lays on for team-mates, the excellent technical skill he possesses and his growing defensive prowess makes him one of the most exciting prospects the Reds have had in many seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    Doug O’Kane - Barnsley Chronicle.

WOODROW’S RARE 40-GOAL MILESTONE
    Cauley Woodrow’s equalising penalty was his 40th goal for the Reds in 92 appearances.
    The last two players to net 40 for the club were Sam Winnall and Bruce Dyer, with the latter departing in 2003 – so it is a real rarity to have such a consistent and prolific scorer.
    The goal was an early birthday present as Woodrow turned 26 on Wednesday and also his sixth of the season in all competitions, following on from 15 last season.
    Four of his five league goals this campaign have been penalties but that should not be held against him as he won two of them himself and dispatched all four expertly in high-pressure situations.
    Woodrow missed three chances in Birmingham which were not simple but you would usually back a striker of his quality to score at least one of them. Eventually he contributed to a win, as he so often does, by levelling then claiming his third assist of the season for the winner, the most of any Red by two this season.
    He is a high-class player who creates opportunities for himself and team-mates in every match.

STYLES HAS BARNSLEY’S LAST TWO WINNERS
    Barnsley’s last two victories, against Nottingham Forest and now Birmingham City, have been secured in the final ten minutes by an 18-yard strike from Callum Styles.
    That is a very good return for a 20-year-old playing out of position at left wing-back but we are begin to expect great things from Styles who is enjoying a specular breakthrough season.
    The winner in midweek at St Andrew’s was deflected into the bottom left corner so not quite as impressive as his strike into Forest’s top right corner. But the fact that he is adding goals to the assists and chances he lays on for team-mates, the excellent technical skill he possesses and his growing defensive prowess makes him one of the most exciting prospects the Reds have had in many seasons.

Defensive prowess come on, the kid isn't quite cut art fo defending but he's doing his best in an unfamiliar position and that's all tha can ask for.

He got caught flat footed for the Birmingham goal last night and let Ivan Toney in for a free header when Brentford came to oakwell last week. I'm not knocking him because it's not really his game but even though it's no contest in an ariel match up between him and Toney, thaz got to at least mek it difficult fo Toney even if tha not gonna win the header and he dint do that.

Last night he didnt anticipate the back heel and it was a lapse in concentration. Am sure he'll learn. As I say, I'm not knocking him. I think he's a brilliant footballer but in the middle of the park surely. Well, that's where I want to see him play anyway. Its admirable that he's stepped in at left wing back and contributes very well for the team going forward. However, to say he has defensive prowess is over exaggerated journalistic drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Defensive prowess come on, the kid isn't quite cut art fo defending but he's doing his best in an unfamiliar position and that's all tha can ask for.

He got caught flat footed for the Birmingham goal last night and let Ivan Toney in for a free header when Brentford came to oakwell last week. I'm not knocking him because it's not really his game but even though it's no contest in an ariel match up between him and Toney, thaz got to at least mek it difficult fo Toney even if tha not gonna win the header and he dint do that.

Last night he didnt anticipate the back heel and it was a lapse in concentration. Am sure he'll learn. As I say, I'm not knocking him. I think he's a brilliant footballer but in the middle of the park surely. Well, that's where I want to see him play anyway. Its admirable that he's stepped in at left wing back and contributes very well for the team going forward. However, to say he has defensive prowess is over exaggerated journalistic drivel.
    I think he was caught more by surprise than anything else and don’t think for one minute that most watching expected it either.
    Ive heard the phrase Defensive Powess used for some Prem defenders and seen bigger lapses than that particular one.
    Joint MOM for me with him and Brittain.

Quote Originally Posted by POGGYWELL View Post
    I think he was caught more by surprise than anything else and don’t think for one minute that most watching expected it either.
    Ive heard the phrase Defensive Powess used for some Prem defenders and seen bigger lapses than that particular one.
    Joint MOM for me with him and Brittain.
    He was indeed caught by surprise, we all were and to be fair it was a nice bit of ingenuity by the Birmingham lad to back heel it. My point being more that Styles obviously expected our two defenders to deal with the situation near the corner flag and he lost concentration positionaly which is costly at this level.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345