+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45 Years.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    There will always be good and bad music, the sixties gave us among others Charlie Drake, Max Bygraves, Des O Connor, Rolf Harris and Englebert.
    The seventies gave us The Osmond's, Bay City Rollers, The Smurfs, David Cassidy and Jack Jones.
    I like music from that era but i also like today's stuff.
    The truth is we usually associate the music we like with times when we were young and carefree, but we only remember the sunny days the more distance the past becomes, so we get a distorted view.
    I have always been happy so i don't have a particular favourite era of music.
    That’s true to a point. I think that the 60’s were so innovative and the 70’s built on that. In my opinion, those two decades produced more good music than any others, although there is of course, good and bad in all eras. Now we are plagued with rap, which isn’t music at all, really, just a load of unadulterated s**t.

Just been reading that rap is going to be taught in schools.
    At least Max Bygraves could knock out a tune.

There is some music that I love, there is some music that I can tolerate and then there is rap. Need I say any more?

Rap makes Charlie Drake sound like the World’s greatest opera singer.

"Sun always shines on TV" is a brilliant shout Mick, same goes for me and I think "More Than A Feeling" provided the riff for Transvision Vamp's "Baby I don't Care".

On the rap thing - I do like some of the old school stuff by the likes of Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre but the stuff of today is utter rubbish. My musical tastes are wide ranging - my first gig was The Wonder Stuff at the Birmingham Powerhouse in 1986, I was just 16 and it was an eye opener! I can't wait to go and watch live music again.

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    "Sun always shines on TV" is a brilliant shout Mick, same goes for me and I think "More Than A Feeling" provided the riff for Transvision Vamp's "Baby I don't Care".

On the rap thing - I do like some of the old school stuff by the likes of Eminem, Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre but the stuff of today is utter rubbish. My musical tastes are wide ranging - my first gig was The Wonder Stuff at the Birmingham Powerhouse in 1986, I was just 16 and it was an eye opener! I can't wait to go and watch live music again.
    I’m sure you’re aware that The Wonder Stuff are from the era of the three Stourbridge bands which also include Pop Will Eat Itself and Neds Atomic Dustbin WCV?

Back in the mid 70’s we used to congregate down at Pedmore cricket pitch ( Stourbridge) where I lived and we’d play football long into the evening.

This would really irritate the cricket club and the bloke who was always chasing us off was a Mr Mole.......so we used to take it out on his son Adam who wasn’t part of our crew and he’d get a bit of a kicking due to his dad being an old t w a t.

Adam later formed Pop Will Eat Itself and went from being a wet to being super cool so he got last laugh 🤭

I went on to play indoor football locally starting in the mid 80’s and at one point some lads from a local pub ( The Shrubbery Cottage, Old Swinford ) joined us in the mid to late 90’s when most of us were mid 30’s.

They had a Sunday League side called VSK 200 ( named after a car registration plate on the pub car park 😆 ) and one of their crew was a player I very much enjoyed kicking up in the air, a guy called Clint Mansell, another founding member of Pop Will Eat Itsel.

A Villa fan as I recall and a bit too full of himself but on his way to becoming world famous as a writer of film scores in Hollywood so he probably had earned his ego🤫

Anyway, we joined up with the pub lot and eventually I ended up playing for and then managing the team and although Clint never played as he was travelling the world a lot his dad ( Don if I remember right ) ran the line for us on a Sunday morning........nice bloke but a terrible cheat 🤭😆

Part of the Wednesday night indoor football training night also included John Penny,lead singer of Ned’s Atomic Dustbin ( or the NAD’s as they’re known as locally.

John was also a Villa fan and a truly awful footballer but the nicest guy you could wish to meet.

Quite interesting to have so randomly made the acquaintance of three people from a small town to have “made it” in the pop world.

Anyway, I’m rambling now but thought you might enjoy my musings.

Top stuff Mick - I am a fan of PWEI and have seen them a few years ago, NADs too although I've not had the chance to watch them.

The Stuffies are my favourite band and I've lost count of the number of times I have seen them play over the years, one that sticks in the memory is when they reformed and played a gig on a Tuesday night in Kentish Town (London). They said if demand was high enough they'd add an additional date and ended up playing right through to the Saturday which myself and a few old school mates went to followed by a night out at a club playing indie tunes all night - good times.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Just been reading that rap is going to be taught in schools.
    At least Max Bygraves could knock out a tune.
    Rap doesn’t need to be taught, you could pick it up by just sitting on the bog.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)