+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: England Cricket

Wouldn't fancy facing any of them at their pace. That's coming from a club cricketer who preferred facing quick bowling, but there's quick and then there's quick!

Recall a memory in the early seventies when I was a reasonable opening batsman in local cricket. We were having an indoor net down on Romney Marsh when someone asked me whether one of their young kids could bowl a few balls to me. Looking at this skinny beanpole kid, I accepted. He bowled 6 balls at at me and I swear that I didn't see any of them let alone get a bat on them. After the nets I asked who this 14 year old kid was. Apparently his name was Graham Dilley. Nuff said!!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    Is 20-20 really cricket? No subtlety in it. Too much of a slog fest for my liking. Five day test cricket is proper cricket, where tactics and strategy come into play. Also, cricket should be played in whites, with a red ball, not in garish pyjamas. Why the **** do they play loud music at 20-20 ‘matches’, it just isn’t cricket?
    It is a different game but sadly red ball cricket around the world is unsustainable without the cash generated from white ball cricket. Nothing in cricket compares with a day at the Test especially at Lords but I get a different buzz from an ODI or T20. Totally disagree about lack of strategy or tactics Eion Morgan's use of both is a massive reason why England are the best.

So like most things in life I say 'vive la difference'

The Yanks want ICC membership by 2030 and want to stage a T20 World Cup! Fanciful? They are ahead of Scotland in the current T20 table.
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 02-12-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Please lads, this is a positive England crikkit thread, so lets not mention Geoff Boycott ever again eh.

Carrying on with the Yorkie subject though, I think Joe Root's loss of form and confidence has been disappointing, and maybe he needs to step aside for now. However, we do still have Jonny Bairstow though.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Please lads, this is a positive England crikkit thread, so lets not mention Geoff Boycott ever again eh.

Carrying on with the Yorkie subject though, I think Joe Root's loss of form and confidence has been disappointing, and maybe he needs to step aside for now. However, we do still have Jonny Bairstow though.
    I remember Boycott being dropped for slow scoring after scoring 250ish not out

The thing about Boycott, though, is that he knew how to ‘dig in’ when needed, a rare trait these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    The thing about Boycott, though, is that he knew how to ‘dig in’ when needed, a rare trait these days.
    Boycott dug in when he needed it not necessarily the team.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Boycott dug in when he needed it not necessarily the team.
    Too much negativity towards Boycott, he was a top, top quality batsman and possibly the best defensive batsman of all time.

A master of his art.

He would be a shoe in to today's test team.

Nowhere near an England white ball team although I do seem to remember he scored by the standards of the day a big score very quickly in a Gillette Cup Final.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    He would be a shoe in to today's test team.

Nowhere near an England white ball team although I do seem to remember he scored by the standards of the day a big score very quickly in a Gillette Cup Final.
    Being born in Harrogate Boycott was my hero as a kid.

I remember 77 like it were yesterday.

Yorkshire played the Aussies at Scarborough I think, Boycs got his 99th first class century in that match to set up the chance of him getting his 100th century in the Headingly test against them.

He’s the only player to reach that milestone in a test match and to do it on his own ground just speaks to the determination of the man.

His 47.7 average is the highest by any England player of the last 50 years and I think he stands third or fourth of all time for England.

He scored a further 51 centuries after that Headingly treat so that was 51 x 100 or more from the age of 37 onwards.

The man was a genius at what he did.

Thank god he sacrificed his fellow runner in run outs......it was the best “business decision” in hindsight 😆

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)