+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: England Cricket

[QUOTE=mickd1961;39636543]Being born in Harrogate Boycott was my hero as a kid.

His 47.7 average is the highest by any England player of the last 50 years and I think he stands third or fourth of all time for England.

Highest average of the last 50 years is Joe Root.

All time averages he is 14th not 4th.

[QUOTE=9goals2hattricks3pen;39636557]
    Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Being born in Harrogate Boycott was my hero as a kid.

His 47.7 average is the highest by any England player of the last 50 years and I think he stands third or fourth of all time for England.

Highest average of the last 50 years is Joe Root.

All time averages he is 14th not 4th.
    His 47.72 average is the highest by any England player in over 50 years who has completed their career, I should’ve made that clearer.

Root’s average is tumbling year on year and I expect Geoff may well maintain his record by the time Root retires as he’s only 0.27 ahead at this point.

He’s third all time ( joint ) for England for centuries as well I believe.

Back onto Wood .... I agree on the Test scene he is now ‘yesterday’s man” ...also seems very injury prone and Test matches put more stress on given the number of overs bowled. But in white ball cricket where pace and slower balls are key ... then he’s a different proposition .... anyway I would pick him if fit and on form ....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...AXWlNUq6XgTIIf

Loved the Aggers wind up of Boycott on his 100th hundred .... hilarious ...may have been shown on here before....

Geoff Boycott.. who are ya, who are ya ?.
    Hes a joke now as a pundit, and he dun't realise it yet!.

Only ever saw Boycott play once at Edgbaston v Aussies in 1981 when he was coming to the end of his Test career. Botham took 5 for 1 the next day one of my all time favourite days watching sport.

Every team needs a Boycott but travelling on the tube to St John's Wood would the anticipation of watching him bat get me excited? Give me Gower (better average in Tests than county cricket) Gooch, Pietersen (2nd on his own for tons) and a few others to sit and spend my hard earned on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)