+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sports Personality 2020

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    But those people are "greats" in their respective sports, and there are many other equally great people who haven't won it, presumably because they don't have the public profile. Mind you naming Andy Murray sports personality of the year is a misnomer!

Well have never watched more than a few minutes of it, not bothered who wins and I suspect it ranks pretty low on the winners aspirations in life!
    Tbh...I don’t watch it all either because I’m not hugely interested in all the sports covered, but it entertains many, provides a harmless retrospective of the year’s sport and as far as ‘personality’ is concerned...we can’t all be extravagant extroverts...imo there’s just as much of a case for the Murrays, Farahs and Wilkinsons of this world as there is for the likes of Botham, Stokes and Cooper.

Like GP, I won’t be voting and will probably only switch on towards the end to see who’s won...given the choice of those available I’d go for Stuart Broad but suspect it will be Lewis Hamilton.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 03-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    But those people are "greats" in their respective sports, and there are many other equally great people who haven't won it, presumably because they don't have the public profile. Mind you naming Andy Murray sports personality of the year is a misnomer!

Well have never watched more than a few minutes of it, not bothered who wins and I suspect it ranks pretty low on the winners aspirations in life!
    Andy Murray is generally "sports figure of 2 weeks in June", not a year and certainly not personality! Often not even 2 weeks either

Just a bit of an update on the age-old debate about whether the greats of F1 are REALLY such or whether they were just blessed with the fastest car (and why I've always been a fan of teams rather than drivers) - Lewis Hamilton's last minute replacement for this weekend's Grand Prix, George Russell, was fastest in first practise earlier today.

Yes I saw that. He looks likely to be top 5 not bottom 5 on the grid despite the vehicle likely not being fully personalised to him and his being unfamiliar with it.

75% car 25% driver maybe??

that 75% should be 'other' - chassis, engine, tactics (Red Bull won quite a few races back in the day just on knob-on tactics) and then yes, driver is a big extra 'component'. IMO the last time the World championship was won by a driver in a car that wasn't the 'best' was 1982 when Keke Rosberg won in the underpowered but nimble and reliable Williams but 1982 was an extraordinary year.

Russell was also fastest in the 2nd practice session as well...... not bad for a driver with "nul points"

Give it to Kevin Sinfield! Seven marathons in seven days in an attempt to raise £77,777 for the MNDA. Completed yesterday...raised in excess of £1m.
    If Tyson Fury thinks he’s above it, sod him. Kevin Sinfield used his sporting background and personality to do some genuine good. Can’t think of a more worthy recipient.

I didn't think Sinfield had been nominated? Or do they allow "write ins?"

There is however a further difficulty in that, outside of the north, I suspect many people have no idea who he is or what he had done / is doing for charity. I watch the odd RL game but had never heard of him before you mentioned him here: and I dont know wnyone else who even watches it (aside from you!)

On the subject of Russell, there is a wonderful conspiracy theory that Mercedes pit crew deliberately ****ed up the tyre change to make sure the myth of Hamilton lives on - after all if a rookie with no career championship points can win in the car, what does that say about the wonders of Hamilton? Mercedes had already wrapped up constructers and individual titles so it might not seem as dumb as it sounds

Quite how they arranged the slow puncture after it started to seem likely he would still win, despite the tyre change fiasco, anyway is something of a mystery though.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I didn't think Sinfield had been nominated? Or do they allow "write ins?"

There is however a further difficulty in that, outside of the north, I suspect many people have no idea who he is or what he had done / is doing for charity. I watch the odd RL game but had never heard of him before you mentioned him here: and I dont know wnyone else who even watches it (aside from you!)
    I was being flippant...anyway, who cares what happens ‘outside of the North’?

In all seriousness though...I know he hasn’t been nominated, but I can’t think of a sports figure who has used his personality more positively in this otherwise dismal year, least of all that arrogant boxer who thinks he’s above it all.

Agreed, the gyppo wouldn't have had my vote even if he hadn't withdrawn. But then, as I said many a post back, I don't think any of the nominees merit the award when compared to past winners, but I suppose its all relative. We have the token woman nominee, the token black nominee, the token "other" but we are missing a disabled athlete - perhaps there is one from that quarter that merits inclusion. I just don't know

Why such a strange amount as target of 77,777? Is he sponsored by State Express cigarettes, if they still exist

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)