+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sports Personality 2020

Sports Personality 2020

In its 66th year the six contenders are...Stuart Broad, Hollie Doyle, Tyson Fury, Lewis Hamilton, Jordan Henderson and Ronnie O’Sullivan.
    Between Broad and Hamilton for me. Quite surprised Marcus Rashford didn’t make it.
    Thoughts?

If it's personality, I'd say Broad, he comes across as a really nice bloke, though did have a paddy at being dropped!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    If it's personality, I'd say Broad, he comes across as a really nice bloke, though did have a paddy at being dropped!
    A very productive one though, Adi. Wish some of Derby’s players would come back with such determination after being dropped.

Agree... there's 5 of them dropped tonight following Saturday's 7, so we'll soon find out!

Never heard of Hollie Doyle, Rashford I suspect didnt count as he became a personality not through his sporting endeavours. Hamilton, first rate achievements, but please God not again. Not sure what O'Sullivan has done but dont watch snooker really. Fury, perhaps, Broad maybe and thank gor andy murray has not been included. But in a year where BLM is to the fore, then I guess the bloke who drives he best car round in circles will win

I thought they usually named 12?

The current pre-selection is all about BBC being able to pre-market the event, IMO its No longer a proper poll. Massive pro-Rob Burrow sentiment on social media which will now count for nothing. BBC will now doubt ride the wave of sympathy with a 15 minute segment on him but he deserves to be given a punt at the big prize.

Rob Burrow deserves enormous support and recognition for his bravery. Probably get an award in the same way as I think Doddie Weir did...and rightfully so, but - imo - becoming the tragic victim of a horrible disease is not grounds for winning the main award.
    Marcus Rashford may not be worthy through his sporting endeavours but he has used his sporting profile and personality to bring about positive change.
    Are there usually twelve? Don’t know...only six announced so far, maybe they’re just the first cohort and there’re more to come

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Rob Burrow deserves enormous support and recognition for his bravery. Probably get an award in the same way as I think Doddie Weir did...and rightfully so, but - imo - becoming the tragic victim of a horrible disease is not grounds for winning the main award.
    Marcus Rashford may not be worthy through his sporting endeavours but he has used his sporting profile and personality to bring about positive change.
    Are there usually twelve? Don’t know...only six announced so far, maybe they’re just the first cohort and there’re more to come
    But its not for you or I to say what the grounds are, as you rightly IMO. It should be a popular vote, pure and simple. The sort of vote that won Lordi Eurovision, won Brexit, won the presidency for Trump, won Script For A Jester's Tear the best prog album ever. The broadcasters have blanded out any sponteniety there might have been

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    But its not for you or I to say what the grounds are, as you rightly IMO. It should be a popular vote, pure and simple. The sort of vote that won Lordi Eurovision, won Brexit, won the presidency for Trump, won Script For A Jester's Tear the best prog album ever. The broadcasters have blanded out any sponteniety there might have been
    Not quite sure what you mean, AF. It is decided by a ‘popular vote’ isn’t it? Don’t recall ever voting, but I thought people could vote both prior to the programme and up to a certain point during it.
    Are you suggesting that the contenders too should be selected by ‘popular’ vote? Not sure that would work. Wouldn’t we, just as a result of football being the best supported sport in the country, run the risk of just having a history of SPOTY winners dominated by the most successful/best supported football clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean, AF. It is decided by a ‘popular vote’ isn’t it? Don’t recall ever voting, but I thought people could vote both prior to the programme and up to a certain point during it.
    Are you suggesting that the contenders too should be selected by ‘popular’ vote? Not sure that would work. Wouldn’t we, just as a result of football being the best supported sport in the country, run the risk of just having a history of SPOTY winners dominated by the most successful/best supported football clubs?
    No I'm suggesting it should be a FREE vote, like it used to be. Up to about ten years ago, anyone could vote for anyone, rather than 'anyone can vote for who the BBC decide' as happens now. The Beeb used to be quite capable of rooting out tactical voting, as they did the year Bob Nudd got the most votes after the angling press ran a campaign. (I bet Mista voted for him)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)