+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Oh dear Wigan.....what now?

Oh dear Wigan.....what now?

Courtesy of BBC sport web page.

The prospective takeover of Wigan Athletic has been blocked after the EFL said the new owners "failed to satisfy the league's requirements".

The Spanish consortium were given a second extension to complete their purchase of the ailing League One club last month.

The English Football League said they had "undertaken significant due diligence on the relevant parties".

Wigan were put into administration and relegated from the second tier in July.

The EFL added: "The board reiterated its commitment to working with the administrators to secure a successful and sustainable future for the club and will meet with them to discuss the implications of this decision at the earliest opportunity."

The Latics had been set for a mid-table finish in the Championship last season before owners Next Leader Fund - who had only taken over the club in May - suddenly placed them into administration, and they were subsequently deducted 12 points by the EFL.

Since then they have been relegated, had to sell a number of players and seen two managers, Paul Cook and John Sheridan, leave.

They are currently managerless and bottom of League One with just two league wins all season.

Sounds like a job for Evo.

Not looking good for them is it?

What puzzles me though about these takeovers is what attracts the buyer in the first place?

Why Wigan?
    Why Barnsley?
    Why Sheffield Wednesday?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Not looking good for them is it?

What puzzles me though about these takeovers is what attracts the buyer in the first place?

Why Wigan?
    Why Barnsley?
    Why Sheffield Wednesday?
    Slum clearance?

I’m sure there will be another buyer