+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another draw snatched from the jaws of victory!

Another draw snatched from the jaws of victory!

So 5 changes and the results the same a 1-1 draw, conceding a late goal. Notice nobody can be bothered to post about it so assume apathy reigns?

Still at least Kazim Richards has scored so he now has done something!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    So 5 changes and the results the same a 1-1 draw, conceding a late goal. Notice nobody can be bothered to post about it so assume apathy reigns?

Played well in the only two games he’s started hasn’t he? Maybe that’s ‘the point’ of him.
    Tbf he maybe should have had three but he offers something no one else does and kept going.
    Not apathetic, just too gutted to comment further, would have looked so much better if we’d hung onto those three points.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

I think that we've lost 5 wins and 5 draws this season at varying levels of lateness, that's 15 points lost, which would put us in 8th place. I think that we're just accepting that we're going to concede late on and give up points.

Even my Villa supporting mate messaged 'another late goal' and knows what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Played well in the only two games he’s started hasn’t he? Maybe that’s ‘the point’ of him.
    Tbf he maybe should have had three but he offers something no one else does and kept going.
    Not apathetic, just too gutted to comment further, would have looked so much better if we’d hung onto those three points.
    Don't disagree, my comments were before he had started a match, wonder why he hasn't started until now given goals are what we ahve been short of.

Its worrying that we seem unable to close out a game, a bad habit we have to break quickly. My view has always been that this group of players are more than capable of being mid table at least, its not their ability thats got us in this position.

IMO he's a revelation, puts himself about, good control, looked genuinely ecstatic at scoring (mind you after 8 years I think I would) and also unlike his teammates took what looked like a genuine interest in Buchanan's injury. Having said that their offside goal didn't look offside and we were lucky to escape penalty (and sending off) free for the 'Son of Kenco Cup' incident - what WERE they doing ****ing about in the six yard box?

Matt Clarke, some think he's the bees knees, I wasn't convinced last season and its much the same this, he can be liability as was shown last night dilly dallying around

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Matt Clarke, some think he's the bees knees, I wasn't convinced last season and its much the same this, he can be liability as was shown last night dilly dallying around
    Afraid I agree with that, just on the evidence of last night...thought he looked unsure of himself last night and was the weakest link in defence.
    Await MA’s match report but I though Wisdom was excellent, Bielik made a real difference and, for the second game running, it was a mistake to take Holmes off.

2 games undefeated. The first of them saw a more attacking formation, based on what we expected from the opposition.. This one was slightly more conservative, again, slightly tailored to the oppo. IMO, if we played as "gung ho" against Coventry as we had against Wycombe we'd have been well and truly stuffed. Even with a more safety first attitude they exploited the space behind our back 4 well and created some good chances and had a goal chalked off for offside. Playing the back 4 more forward, as we did against Wycombe, would have given them oceans of space to exploit.

Now, I'm still not convinced Rooney is the man for the job but, as I am, and always have been, a horses for courses guy when it comes to football, I must admit to being pleased with how he's set the side up with a combination of "playing our on game" (or rather the one he wants) and making some adjustments based on the strengths of the opposition. Less pleased with the way it worked out but it's a start.

The lad can convince me even more by dropping Lawrence who, following his 1 in 10 against Wycombe, was back to his ineffectual best last night.

Both halves saw both teams have periods in the ascendancy Derby possibly slightly the better 1st half, Cov in the 2nd.

How did the tactics work out? A more conservative approach saw us have 1 (or 2 depending on whose stats you use) shot more than against Wyombe but 2 less on target. In end product the 2 approaches were pretty much even steven. Defensively Cov had 1 more shot and 1 more on target than Wycombe had. Again a similar outcome, as were the final scores.

Couldn't fault Marshall. Two good full back performances. Good to see Bielik in what is possibly his best position. Holmes had a good one as did the duracell bunny, Knight. Kazim, though, was best of the bunch for me, despite his totally unnecessary yellow card in the 11th minute.

7 changes for Wycombe. 5 changes for Coventry. What to expect for Millwall? I'll have a go at what I think he'll do.

Back 4 of Wis, Davies, Clarke, Forsyth
    Bielik and Shinnie
    Waghorn, Holmes, Lawrence
    Kazim

Personally I'd drop Lawro and put Jozzy in there. Waggy on the bench as Knight does not deserve dropping. Clarke had a sloppy game well below his usual standards. I wouldn't drop him for one poor performance but a repeat would certainly see him rested. I'd be happy with that back 4 as it's Millwall and it's Rowett and we probably need more beef for that game although the same back 4 as against Cov would be acceptable.

Marshall did nowt wrong
    Byrne was back to the levels of his first couple of games for us
    Wisdom was solid
    Clarke had too many iffy moments
    Buchanan had another good game. Had a period of being less attack minded while he was running off the knock he got
    Bielik had a strong performance
    Bird did well but ignored too many good runs into space by teammates
    Knight was a bundle of energy
    Holmes had another good un
    Lawrence was poor
    Kazim was pick of the bunch

Ref. Accepted much less from us than he did from Cov. Might have given them a penalty but he could also have booked the guy who went down. In the end he did neither. On another day, a different ref would have given it and sent Buchanan off. I think he got it right in ignoring it. You could say the same for Lawro's shout, I sawe it as good play by the defender. The Stretton shout was never a penalty. We got 4 yellows, Cov 1. I'm not saying the ref was harsh on us with the 4 cards, all of which were, IMO, justified. However, there was 3 or 4 incidents where they committed the same sort of foul and either nothing was given or the player merely got a "talking to".
    Last edited by MadAmster; 02-12-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Afraid I agree with that, just on the evidence of last night...thought he looked unsure of himself last night and was the weakest link in defence. Await MA’s match report but I though Wisdom was excellent, Bielik made a real difference and, for the second game running, it was a mistake to take Holmes off.
    Yo Anag kid, how's the two headed monster Roonaldio doing ?.
    I would have liked to see you beat Cov because they are one of the strugglers who are chasing us. But on that showing last night against us, I think Brummingham look like real nailed on relegation fodder!.
    Last edited by Acido; 02-12-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    IMO he's a revelation, puts himself about, good control, looked genuinely ecstatic at scoring (mind you after 8 years I think I would) and also unlike his teammates took what looked like a genuine interest in Buchanan's injury. Having said that their offside goal didn't look offside and we were lucky to escape penalty (and sending off) free for the 'Son of Kenco Cup' incident - what WERE they doing ****ing about in the six yard box?
    Which makes it all the more mystifying as to why he has hardly had a look in before the last two games. Gt to agree he looks better than a quarter fit Rooney.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)