+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Championship Form Guide

Championship Form Guide

Name:  6CB4B94B-5BBD-4B52-A713-DE994B5FDA73.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  32.0 KB

Does anyone else think our form guides got a Dave Bassett look about it?
    A win or bust theme.

Possibly but I just think he wants to see the team play with positivity and impose themselves on our opponents .

I think he sensed from the first day there was an inferiority complex around the group , partly because of last season's struggle and partly because Struber didn't trust them to play expansively and I think quite a few had confidence issues as a consequence .

I also believe he knows how young players tick , they don't want to be restricted , they want to go out there and play freely .

He doesn't throw caution to the wind though , the back three stay at the back , they don't push forward and join in the play further up the pitch .

He's probably got the balance about right for me .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Possibly but I just think he wants to see the team play with positivity and impose themselves on our opponents .

I think he sensed from the first day there was an inferiority complex around the group , partly because of last season's struggle and partly because Struber didn't trust them to play expansively and I think quite a few had confidence issues as a consequence .

I also believe he knows how young players tick , they don't want to be restricted , they want to go out there and play freely .

He doesn't throw caution to the wind though , the back three stay at the back , they don't push forward and join in the play further up the pitch .

He's probably got the balance about right for me .

Agree wi that Animal.

Tha wants to see our players laikin wi a smile and expressing themselves. It's gonna fall short the odd time but I can live wi that.

Watching us go away from home and seeing our energy and attacking intentions from the first whistle is like a breath of fresh air. Good un Valerie, tha'll do fo me.

Vals a big earrd !!! Il bi off soowin

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Agree wi that Animal.

Tha wants to see our players laikin wi a smile and expressing themselves. It's gonna fall short the odd time but I can live wi that.

Watching us go away from home and seeing our energy and attacking intentions from the first whistle is like a breath of fresh air. Good un Valerie, tha'll do fo me.
    As an ex defender thi sen Pass what's thi thoughts on the back three .

For me it's a work in progress , it's ok but it's not a well oiled machine either by any means .

I'm thinking Solly should be in the middle of the three and his main job as the man on the cover with Andersen on the right and Helik on left or vice versa .

Solly reads the game very well with his experience and I'm wondering if we are missing a trick here .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    As an ex defender thi sen Pass what's thi thoughts on the back three .

For me it's a work in progress , it's ok but it's not a well oiled machine either by any means .

I'm thinking Solly should be in the middle of the three and his main job as the man on the cover with Andersen on the right and Helik on left or vice versa .

Solly reads the game very well with his experience and I'm wondering if we are missing a trick here .

You're right, definitely a work in progress. Individually they are decent players but we all know that defences work best collectively. In time it will come.

What I saw last night was our defensive 3 keeping it simple and not trying to be too clever with the ball. A no nonsense safety first approach if you like putting the ball into touch (apart from Birmingham goal) when necessary which I like to see. Thaz got to appreciate that they ain't no Rio Ferdinand or Virgil Van Dyke with the ball and if tha clears into touch the opposition can't scooar from the stand. They did have an easier night wi art the presence and physicality of Jutzkevic in the Birmingham front line which caused us problems last season.

Personally I've seen a vast improvement in Mads Anderson. A couple of niggly fouls he committed to stifle a couple of potential Birmingham attacks which thaz got to do but they weren't fouls worthy of a yellow card, they were what I'd call clever fouls to stop the momentum of the opposition. Unfortunately he did get a booking late on for another 'clever' foul.

Sollbauer ez a better head on him than the other two and should be the center of the trio in my opinion.

Helik is similar to Anderson and again just needs to brush up on certain aspects of his game.

There looks to be mistakes in there, of course there is but we're more dogged and physical in defence this season, there's no doubt about that.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    You're right, definitely a work in progress. Individually they are decent players but we all know that defences work best collectively. In time it will come.

What I saw last night was our defensive 3 keeping it simple and not trying to be too clever with the ball. A no nonsense safety first approach if you like putting the ball into touch (apart from Birmingham goal) when necessary which I like to see. Thaz got to appreciate that they ain't no Rio Ferdinand or Virgil Van Dyke with the ball and if tha clears into touch the opposition can't scooar from the stand. They did have an easier night wi art the presence and physicality of Jutzkevic in the Birmingham front line which caused us problems last season.

Personally I've seen a vast improvement in Mads Anderson. A couple of niggly fouls he committed to stifle a couple of potential Birmingham attacks which thaz got to do but they weren't fouls worthy of a yellow card, they were what I'd call clever fouls to stop the momentum of the opposition. Unfortunately he did get a booking late on for another 'clever' foul.

Sollbauer ez a better head on him than the other two and should be the center of the trio in my opinion.

Helik is similar to Anderson and again just needs to brush up on certain aspects of his game.

There looks to be mistakes in there, of course there is but we're more dogged and physical in defence this season, there's no doubt about that.
    Wiart wanting to be overly critical because obviously I'm aware where we are at in the grand scheme of things .

We've gave two bad goals away the last two games .

Both given away because Andersen on saturday and both Andersen and Helik got attracted out wide and didn't deal with it .

However if tha looks at why Andersen and Helik got attracted over there it's because Styles has been caught out of position on both occasions .

I'm not having a go at young Styles because for me he's not a left wing back and he's still a young kid .

My point is I think we really need a good left wing back in January , a natural left wing back .

Young Oduor has more to learn than Styles in my opinion and besides that I want young Styles in that midfield where he can really hurt teams .

We need a good left wing back as much as we need a forward , maybe more so .

I think if we can get one this system at the back will start to tek shape in my opinion .

Tha reyt abart keepin it simple at the back Pass.
    When my lads were learnin ah allus teld em this.
    When in danger or in doubt
    Allus kick the bugger out!
    A sound strategy. Like tha sez they cant scoooar from stands.