+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Defensive conundrums

Defensive conundrums

Well another game passes and we have yet more injuries.
    Defensively we have been hit bad this time with lenihan suspended,Wharton out for a long time and Douglas probably out for a few weeks also,we are looking at a patchwork job.
    Pike at right back with nyambe centrally?
    Risky but try Buckley at right back again with nyambe centrally?or risk bringing Williams back for a natural centre back pairing?
    I am edging towards the first option,I know it's a baptism of fire for young pike but I would see it as too risky to rush back Williams and be left with a non existent defence.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Well another game passes and we have yet more injuries.
    Defensively we have been hit bad this time with lenihan suspended,Wharton out for a long time and Douglas probably out for a few weeks also,we are looking at a patchwork job.
    Pike at right back with nyambe centrally?
    Risky but try Buckley at right back again with nyambe centrally?or risk bringing Williams back for a natural centre back pairing?
    I am edging towards the first option,I know it's a baptism of fire for young pike but I would see it as too risky to rush back Williams and be left with a non existent defence.
    Getting a bit annoyed why this Douglas keeps starting games. He is a liability with injuries. And sorry but he is no better than Bell who is 10 years his senior. Douglas wont improve, Bell will stick with him. It's the only way he will keep improving.
    Lenihan didn't need to make that challenge. He'd already been booked. And he is our captain. Playing next to kid. Not convinced it was a sending off or even a foul. But he had been booked. I feel this cost us a win. I feel we have taken care of them with 10 men.
    Buckley did well at RB. Nyambe is a decent enough CH to step in for a while. Keep Buckley at RB.
    Good result to get back in that game at 2-1 down with 10 men. And Armstrong had a very quiet game. Davenport has really put himself into contention.
    I've always felt by around Feb/match time our 3 in midfield will be Davenport, Dack and Travis. With Johnson, Trybull & Holtby (who had gone off the boil again) as cover.

Sadly these defensive injuries are going up catch up with us on the pitch results wise. Maybe not on Wed. But certainly over these next 3/4 big games vrs decent sides (then Rotherham)

Not kicking off about the dodgy sending off yesterday. I would say 2 of the 3 sent off vrs is this season where just as dodgy. Which we benefited from. It does even itself out.

Raya showed me again yesterday he is hist an average Champ keeper. If our keeper had been beaten at his near lost on our first goal that Rothwell hit I'd have been pissed off. And I thought he should've saved our equaliser.

Take the point. Keeps them within touching distance. We cant lose to Norwich or Stoke as it keeps them close. Not too bothered about Rotherham. We wont just keep winning. But unbeaten in 7 has pulled us into this now. But what was the cost of that last week? The loss of another 3 or 4 players. Crucial ones.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)