When i think back to being elected to the league in 1969, nothing much has changed. United finished 20th in their first season. We might be better off, but we are still in the same league. The only difference is the south stand.

We beat Mansfield to get promotion to the 3rd div first time around, i remember driving up to Mansfield when Beck was in charge for a 3-3 draw. We play Oldham saturday, we beat them for our first home win ever, George Harris scored a world class goal, top corner with a header from the edge of the box. A diving header, wonderful times.

Then we play Gillingham, in our early years in the league they came to the Abbey and the goalie played a blinder, laughing and joking with the crowd, all the game through. And very entertaining it was. You wont get that today. When i look at the tables practically every club has memories.

If i judge my longevity by my fathers age, ive got about 22 years. I could be reborn a further 50 years down the road, to a family in Fen Ditton, and United will still be in div 4, with the manager saying the same things. Paul Barry wont be delivering a brighter future, what he will do is maintain a staus quo.

Such is the world, a stage in which we play out our lives, with the big man upstairs hoping the penny will drop. That bloke has got patience.

Football is like furniture in a musty house.