+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Best Christmas film

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I suppose it's a childhood memory thing, a bit like White Christmas, which I really like as well but couldn't possibly admit to liking a Christmas musical on a testosterone fuelled football forum!
    This is a safe space ncfcog

The independent cinemas in Derbyshire (Wirksworth and Belper) usually show It's a Wonderful Life at this time of year, although obviously not this year. That would be very atmospheric.

You're so right about childhood memories, that's why I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (although not a Christmas film obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post

The independent cinemas in Derbyshire (Wirksworth and Belper) usually show It's a Wonderful Life at this time of year, although obviously not this year. That would be very atmospheric.

You're so right about childhood memories, that's why I love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (although not a Christmas film obviously).
    We must be on the same wavelength. As you say, not a Christmas film but the one I most like watching at Christmas. I remember watching it as a child and being very afraid of the Childcatcher!

Muppets Christmas carol and polar express in 3d

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    The ‘Internet Movie Database’ site gives a list of ‘The Top 100 Christmas Movies Of All Time’.

Here’s their Top 10

1. Die Hard (776,485 votes)
    2. Home Alone (461,108)
    3. Edward Scissorhands (443,344)
    4. Love Actually (420,544)
    5. It’s A Wonderful Life (392,468)
    6. The Nightmare Before Christmas (295,025)
    7. Batman Returns (271,992)
    8. Shazam! (247,913)
    9. Lethal Weapon (234,516)
    10. Elf (215,422)

Out of that lot, my vote would go to Batman Returns. You can’t beat Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman at Christmas, or any other time of the year for that matter.
    Seems a bit odd that list. No gremlins? No Scrooged?

Are you sure that’s not just someone’s list?

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang . . . just wonderful.

Yes, a wonderful film with the scariest baddie as MM says. Bit of trivia for you, there's a Medders lad in the film. My dad's best friend was working for Rolls Royce when the film was being made and was asked to look after the vintage cars on set. They let him appear several times in the film as the uniformed chauffeur. Notts supporters get everywhere.

Miracle on 34th street
    Tom and Jerry the night before Christmas

The first film I ever saw at the cinema. I think it was at The Futurist in Basford.

Incidentally, did you know there's another perhaps tenuous Nottingham connection with the film? Rowland Emett of Vic. Centre Water Clock fame created many of Caractacus Potts' 'inventions' for the film

Name:  O8qYNZz.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  46.5 KB
    Last edited by SwalePie; 04-12-2020 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Seems a bit odd that list. No gremlins? No Scrooged?

Are you sure that’s not just someone’s list?
    I thought that, until it quoted votes. Doesn't seem much like a 'Christmas' list to me.

Incidentally 'Gremlins' was 11th and 'Scrooged' 22nd.

Home Alone, easily.

Elf is simply awful. Absolute dross.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast