+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Best Christmas Number One

O/T:- Best Christmas Number One

I don't do films, so let's talk Christmas music. If we're talking about number ones, 'Killing In The Name Of' by Rage Against The Machine wins by a distance for me. Not only do I love the song, which was described as being "about revolution against racism and authority abuse of power", it also brilliantly mixes anarchic punk with a hint of metal. The main point is that it stuck two fingers up to Simon Cowell and his cash cow The X Factor. Previously the Christmas number one had been whatever talentless nobody won that show, entirely due to a massive free advertising campaign. This time a song released in 1992 was picked as the very antithesis of all X Factor stands for, and topped the Christmas chart in 2009 due to an anti-X Factor protest vote. Even though pathetic songs about sausage rolls have maybe maintained the tradition, this one was the ground breaker.

If it was just 'Best Christmas Song', Fairytale Of New York would again win by a distance.

An honourable mention for Day Tripper / We Can Work It Out - The Beatles

Number 1 'I want to hold your hand' - The Beatles
    Song 'Thorns in the straw' - Graham Kendrick

It depends on whether you mean best no.1 at Christmas or best no.1 about Christmas.

I'll take the latter. There are some real contenders, but for me it has to be Slade.

Stay Another Day by East 17 is the best Christmas No 1 . Anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong.

The Power of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood is the best song about Christmas. If indeed it was.
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 04-12-2020 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Ross View Post
    It depends on whether you mean best no.1 at Christmas or best no.1 about Christmas.
    No hard and fast rules, it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

Edit: I can't change the thread title, but I should have said favourite Christmas song rather than best Christmas number one.
    Last edited by Elite_Pie; 04-12-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    No hard and fast rules, it can mean whatever you want it to mean.

Edit: I can't change the thread title, but I should have said favourite Christmas song rather than best Christmas number one.
    favourite... Blue Christmas Elvis

Another brick in the wall part 2 ...Pink Floyd
    or
    Wizard I wish it could be Christmas every day

I believe in Father Christmas - Greg Lake
    Solstice Bells - Jethro Tull

Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano
    Dominick The Donkey - Lou Monte

Play nicely please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast