+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 years ago today

50 years ago today

The beginning of a tense early 1970s rivalry with John Bond's Bournemouth. Bond was furious after the game; 'Our striker Ted MacDougall was spat at by a County player, then as he went for the ball he had two fingers pushed in an eye. On the way home he could still not see properly out of the eye. County's tactics seemed to be to hang on by any means. I had tremendous respect for Jimmy Sirrel, County's manager. I thought he had done a great job. I have now lost that respect..... It saddens me to think that any team has to play the way they did.' Jimmy Sirrel said; 'We are the best team in the division and this is proved on the field.'

Notts County 2 (Crickmore (pen), Hateley)
    Bournemouth & Boscombe 1 (MacDougall)

HT 2-1, Attendance :- 11,711

1. Barry Watling
    2. Geoff Ball
    3. Bob Worthington
    4. Mick Jones
    5. David Needham
    6. Brian Stubbs
    7. Jon Nixon
    8. Richie Barker
    9. Tony Hateley
    10. Les Bradd
    11. Charlie Crickmore
    Sub not used

At a range of 50 years, I don't remember many individual games but I was probably at this one. The only name in the line-up that I don't recall from that era is Geoff Ball.

It says sub (singular) not used, so this must have been when one substitute was allowed, if someone in the starting XI was crocked and had to come off. Am I right in remembering that using the sub for a tactical change wasn't allowed at that time?

I remember it and I was there.

Jeez I'm ancient...............

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

I must have been there as well although can't remember the game. Seem to remember that Bondy was a little flash, often on telly and in the Malcolm Allison cum Ron Atkinson mould. Wasn't he the son of, or had a son, who was also connected to sport?

They say that as you get older, earlier memories come back to you. If I survive until I'm 80, I'll probably remember it then (if I remember anything at all...)

When the name John Bond crops up, the two words that come to mind are "West Ham". I'd have thought his son, Kevin, would have come through there but apparently he got his start when his father was managing Bournemouth.

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    At a range of 50 years, I don't remember many individual games but I was probably at this one. The only name in the line-up that I don't recall from that era is Geoff Ball.

It says sub (singular) not used, so this must have been when one substitute was allowed, if someone in the starting XI was crocked and had to come off. Am I right in remembering that using the sub for a tactical change wasn't allowed at that time?
    A sub was only supposed to be used to replace injured players for the first two seasons after they were introduced (1965/66 and 1966/67), but some managers must have instructed players to feign injury to get around this law. Tactical subs were allowed from 1967/68.

The one sub rule persisted in the league until the end of 1986/87, though the FA Cup allowed 2 subs from that season and the Anglo-Scottish had 2 subs several years before that.

The first 2nd sub to come on for Notts in a league match was Wayne Fairclough v Southend United on 5th September 1987 (the last league game in which we scored six goals).

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post

OY!!! so am I mate, I was there and remember a lot of needle between the clubs & fans around this time, there was normally a good punch up in the Lane End when we played (trouble is we normally lost) hope you're keeping well & we can meet up for a vape & natter before the season ends.

Charlie Crickmore's opener was a twice taken penalty, the goalie saving his first attempt, but the ref decided he had moved too soon. From a Crickmore free kick Tony Hateley added the second with a header, his fourth goal since returning to Notts, but the first with his head. As utm says, there was great rivalry between the two clubs in the 70s. I remember three trips down to Bournemouth in the early 70s. Two draws and a defeat.

Geoff Ball had been full-back prior to Bill Brindley joining Notts before the start of the 1970/71 season. Brindley got a nasty knee injury in the previous game at Peterborough and Ball came in for five games while Bill was out injured. They were the only games he played in that promotion season.

Going back to subs, does anybody know who the first named sub was for Notts in a league game? It would have been v Darlington on 21st August 1965.

Dennis Shiels was the first sub used on 5th February 1966 v Lincoln. Notts being reported to be the last league club forced to used the 12th man.

I'm currently adding goal times to 1950s 2nd tier results on the site but couldn't find them for our 3-2 win v Fword on Saturday 30th August 1952, probably because the game kicked off at 6pm (Why that time on a Saturday?) so too late for the Football Post. Anybody at least know the order the goals went in?
    The most notable goal time was on Saturday 25th September 1954 at the City Ground, Notts' Cecil McCormack scored the only goal of the game just 30 seconds after kick off. A contender for the fastest Trentside derby goal of all time.
    Another was the crucial late season game at home to Doncaster in 1957/58 when Notts needed to win against relegation rivals to help them stay up, we were 4-0 down in the 38th minute!!! ended up 0-5 and went down 1 point behind Lincoln who survived.

About 5 years too early for me but a great thread!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast