+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- Scammers Anonymous .... Grrrr!

O/T:- Scammers Anonymous .... Grrrr!

Anyone had these scam calls lately?

This morning it was "BT" with an automated message saying my landline would be cut off as I owed them money and last week it was Robin Hood Energy (now defunct) who I switched away from 3 years ago! Just makes me feel sorry for some older folk who are confused by this sort of thing and probably pay up needlessly through worry. Some real bast@rds about in my opinion.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 05-12-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Lots of automated stuff

'BT' - someone has been using your internet
    'Amazon' - someone has just spent £600 on your account or your Prime will be renewed at £79
    'HMRC' - there's a court case been taken out against you

As you say, some people must be taken in or they wouldn't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Lots of automated stuff

'BT' - someone has been using your internet
    'Amazon' - someone has just spent £600 on your account or your Prime will be renewed at £79
    'HMRC' - there's a court case been taken out against you

As you say, some people must be taken in or they wouldn't bother.
    We had two this week saying we need to pay 100 quid to upgrade our broadband speed, just give them our bank details and they will sort it out. My Dad, 94, still gets loads of mail scams, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    We had two this week saying we need to pay 100 quid to upgrade our broadband speed, just give them our bank details and they will sort it out. My Dad, 94, still gets loads of mail scams, too.

I've had a couple of text from (pretend) HMRC.

''You are due a tax rebate, please click on this link to claim it'.

Please 4k off.

Had the "failed delivery from DPD" one today and not for the first time. If you check the email address that it comes from, it originates from Russia and I'm not sure when DPD moved their operations out there.

I have had several texts supposedly from HSBC, the most recent this week advising that my OTP had been changed, if it wasn’t me to click the link.
    I have never banked with HSBC.

I'm not sure how much good it does but any scam emails can simply be forwarded to the National Cyber Security Centre, https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/sus...-email-actions

Simply forward the email to

report@phishing.gov.uk

No forms to fill out, no complicated login/registrations, just forward to the above address.

You'll get a fairly immediate acknowledgement with some current statistics.

The sooner scams are reported the sooner the websites the scammers create to capture your details are shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I'm not sure how much good it does but any scam emails can simply be forwarded to the National Cyber Security Centre, https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/sus...-email-actions

Simply forward the email to

report@phishing.gov.uk

No forms to fill out, no complicated login/registrations, just forward to the above address.

You'll get a fairly immediate acknowledgement with some current statistics.

The sooner scams are reported the sooner the websites the scammers create to capture your details are shut down.
    I always forward scam emails to here, every little helps!

I lost £400 at the bank this week when I was hacked through my Facebook account. They dripped it out a bit at a time and if I hadn't been checking my account on the night the entire account would have been emptied by the morning.
    Through some deft keyboarding largely by Mrs Sid, Facebook tracked it down and restored the money.
    However, I was advised to report it so that there was a record of my being hacked in case the villains tried identity fraud. They had already pinned me to a credit card of their invention. What's to stop them buying a car in your name or even worse. If you have reported it, the evidence is there that you were a victim. All passwords now changed.

One big giveaway is when the message starts with your email name and not Mr or Mrs.
    DVLA and income tax are the most common for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast