+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Notts in Shoot magazine Nov.1980

Notts in Shoot magazine Nov.1980

From November 1980...

'Nottingham's Only Top Team This Season' is the headline

Will those days ever return I wonder. Let's hope the Brothers Reedtz have it in mind!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoYx3M9WEAA8Ghh?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

[Originally posted on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/1888Letter/statu...446171655?s=20 I've posted it above as a link as it's a very large image, meaning you can read it easily on screen]
    Last edited by SwalePie; 05-12-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Used to have Shoot every week.

Also remember when you got a programme in the early 70s there was an extra 'League Review' or something like that, which had a colour photo of a team in the centre pages. It was Notts at least once - I think I still have it somewhere!

Very interesting read. I used to have Shoot every week, then switched to Match. It looks like we are trying to revert back, to the way we played Sirrell and Wilko's days

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Pie View Post
    Very interesting read. I used to have Shoot every week, then switched to Match.
    I did the same, bought "Match" on holiday summer 1982 and then stuck with it. Might have been because of the way they presented the forthcoming season's fixtures. I still have the first edition of "Shoot" I ever bought, just before World Cup 1978 began in Argentina.

I had Shoot too. Didn't Kevin Keegan have a column in it, or did I dream that?

I asked on that twitter thread if anyone knew who the missing player was in the line up. I can only think of David Beavon who would have been around the first team at that time albiet still a ****ager?

Not forgetting of course the Shoot 'League Ladders'. I would keep them up to date for the first couple of weeks. I also used to put Notts top of Division 1!

Ah, Shoot and its league ladder giveaways at the start of the season - the Ceefax of its day. And the legendary questionnaire that spawned the title of Dave McVay’s footballing memoir “Steak ... Diana Ross: Diary of a Football Nobody”.

A couple of interesting things there for me - the fact that Jock Stein checked to see if Pedro was Scottish; and the fact that Division 2 that season was regarded as low quality. Despite that, all three promoted clubs stayed up the following season (at 15th out of 22, we were the lowest placed of the three).

Swansea were relegated the following season, though. Also interesting to see some of the other teams who were relegated while we survived in 1982 and ’83 - Leeds, Wolves, Middlesbrough and Manchester City. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    From November 1980...

'Nottingham's Only Top Team This Season' is the headline

Will those days ever return I wonder. Let's hope the Brothers Reedtz have it in mind!
    Fingers crossed and good to read pre-match COYP!

Love the fact one of our honours is a club shop.....