+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy December Anniversary

Happy December Anniversary

Putting aside yesterday’s recurring snooze fest, it’s that time again to celebrate another great day in our Club’s history. Yes, we have anniversaries in December, not just May.

On this marvellous day in 1980, United nipped up to the midden up the road (again), to thrash the opposition convincingly (again) and claim the Bell’s League Cup (again).

Having produced one of the best displays of that era to beat Celtic at Parkhead 3-0 in the semi, Arabs everywhere rub their eyes in disbelief when the Final opposition turns out to be none other than lower league Funny FC who incredibly had defied all odds to qualify for a Final,including somehow beating the Sheep in the quarter finals who presumably must have been on the pish or something.

Having decided the venue on the toss of a coin, the teams ran out onto a freezing hard pitch in a stadium that looks remarkably similar to even today. Facing crack opposition including such luminaries as Cammy Fraser, Les Barr, Eric Sinclair and Arab Legend Boaby Glennie, United gradually find their feet culminating in Luggy taking on Barr on the left, sending him in the direction of Tannadice down the road before placing a perfect cross on to the napper of Davie Dodds to head sweetly in to the back of the net.

As the second half progressed, United honourably take it easy on the Funsters and restrict themselves to a final 3-0 (again) winning margin in a game where it could easily have been five or six, with Luggy scoring twice in front of the Provie Road end. Presumably this was to save time not having to shower after the game so the celebrations could crack on.

Having had his turn the previous year, at Dens, Heggy graciously allows Hamish to accept the trophy in the AuldHunStand in front of 12,000 happy Arabs. Meanwhile, Funny FC complete a lap of dishonour in front of their delirious supporters. However, the rage against the ‘DABS’ is strong as United winning trophies at Dens recurs just 12 months after the previous one. Little did they know that it would get worse, much worse, with what was round the corner just two years and five months later.............................

Good ane James. Was venue decided by toss of coin, guess it must have been? And Heggy let Hamish lift the trophy? It was my birthday as it is today. I've had a few now but will never beat that one.

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    Good ane James. Was venue decided by toss of coin, guess it must have been? And Heggy let Hamish lift the trophy? It was my birthday as it is today. I've had a few now but will never beat that one.
    Yep it was a toss of the coin. What a day it was - I was 11 at the time and was right behind the goal in the Provie for baith of Luggy's goals. Fantastic stuff.

Imagine that all these years later 🙈🙈🙈

There were more United fans in the Provie that day than the current capacity of Dens.Those were the days my friend......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KE...el=AhmadFElyan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J418...l=barbarian981
    Last edited by GUNBOAT; 12-12-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Bumpety Bump!

Happy birthday mate 🥳🍺

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    There were more United fans in the Provie that day than the current capacity of Dens.Those were the days my friend......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3KE...el=AhmadFElyan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J418...l=barbarian981
    I've often wondered if that was Cobras first home game 😁 It would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I've often wondered if that was Cobras first home game 😁 It would explain a lot.
    Time is obviously getting you mixed up....think you'll find it was a lot of people's first game supporting one of the club's but not the home one🚜🚜🚜

winning a cup final against the fun on their own ground ( I think they actually owned dens back then)
    would almost be as good as relegating them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)