+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Our magnificent defence ......... Ardleys words

Quote Originally Posted by Warnocks Legends View Post
    It was fair because our defence was outstanding and they were very hard to break down, yet we still put the ball in the back of the net twice, hence we deserved it
    I wonder if you would say the same if you had watched that as a Solihull fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I wonder if you would say the same if you had watched that as a Solihull fan!
    Well if we had lost 2-0 I would have bemoaning we didn’t have those 2 moments of quality in us to win the game, bar their decent move with a poor finish in the first half they didn’t cut is open, we did it twice, admittedly it wasn’t pretty for 80 mins, but we defended well, worked hard and had 2 moments of real quality, their one of the best sides in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Well if we had lost 2-0 I would have bemoaning we didn’t have those 2 moments of quality in us to win the game, bar their decent move with a poor finish in the first half they didn’t cut is open, we did it twice, admittedly it wasn’t pretty for 80 mins, but we defended well, worked hard and had 2 moments of real quality, their one of the best sides in the league.
    Are they one of the best sides in the league? I don't pretend to know, but at the 80 minute mark they were well ahead of us on points. I've been saying for ages that we have the attacking quality to score far more goals, but we rarely make use of it. If we play the game in our opponents box more often, we have the players to make it successful. Instead we seem happy to concentrate on stopping them scoring, which we managed to do tonight. I don't see it as a good tactic though, because we played a 'get out of jail free' card tonight.

Are they one of the best sides in the league? I don't pretend to know, but at the 80 minute mark they were well ahead of us on points. I've been saying for ages that we have the attacking quality to score far more goals, but we rarely make use of it. If we play the game in our opponents box more often, we have the players to make it successful. Instead we seem happy to concentrate on stopping them scoring, which we managed to do tonight. I don't see it as a good tactic though, because we played a 'get out of jail free' card tonight.
    I think they will definitely be around the play offs, I saw little difference between them and Torquay. They were getting back well in position and the fact when they’ve got 5 at the back it’s difficult to break down. We were definitely sloppy with the ball but it’s the right tactic to keep it and try and find those opportunities, it wasn’t working creatively so he changed it, I think he said post match he was surprised Solihull weren’t more open and when you think about after their energetic first 10 mins, the only time they looked threatening was more due to some sloppy errors.

It you step back from last night's game and view it overall, 2 goals conceded in our last 8 league games and only 13 conceded all season in the league are both incredible records.

There is a lot of comment and criticism about our lack of goals scored and opportunities created and rightly so. Yet this short thread aside there is very little talk of how few goals we are conceding and chances we are giving up.

I know it's not as exciting to talk about but defensive shape, and quality defensive work off the ball are still key parts of the game if not very glamorous.

Really? I thought they were bang average and we never looked in danger other than the one chance where their player passed it to Slocombe after some good play by them.

We weren't fast enough in our approach play, which allowed them to sit with 10 player's back behind the ball, it was anti football that they played and it hurt them, as soon as we got the first, they had to open up and we got the second. When teams sit back, Ardley needs to use the likes of Rodrigues, Enzio and Roberts when fit to unlock them.

I feel he gave them way too much respect playing JOB as that is the defensive option, they sat back. As soon as they set up like that, I'd have bought on Rodrigues at the earliest opportunity, or pushed up Miller

Credit has to be given to Ardley and the coaching staff for the defensive improvements. We all saw how weak we were especially in crosses and this has improved immensely. Just got to get the other end right now but as I say credit where it's due as I was sick of letting in 2 or 3 goals to teams like these.

Totally agree with all of that. On any other day we would have lost that game purely through Ardleys negative tacticts and crap team selection..

The negative tactics and crap team selection has at least stopped us conceding. Just 2 goals in the last 8 Legaue games is something to be very proud of plus we have the second best goals against in the whole league.

We may have very well been fortunate last night, but you aren't fortunate over the other 15 games.

So durhampie not all bad, some obvious positives exist that can be commented on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    We weren't fast enough in our approach play, which allowed them to sit with 10 player's back behind the ball, it was anti football that they played and it hurt them, as soon as we got the first, they had to open up and we got the second. When teams sit back, Ardley needs to use the likes of Rodrigues, Enzio and Roberts when fit to unlock them.
    Interestingly, "We weren't fast enough in our approach play" is a criticism I've levelled at Ardley almost since the day he was appointed. In Enzio, Rodrigues, Roberts and (maybe) Knowles we have players with a bit of pace and flair who have what it takes to unlock defences. Their potency is blunted though because we seem to have to play ten sideways and backward passes before we give them the ball. That means our opponents usually have time to get nine or ten men back, so space is limited. If we break quicker and they only have five back, it's easier for one of them to beat a man and pick the killer pass.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast